EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 23 Feb 2022, 10:49 PM   #1
Aet

Vivaldi Mail

Is anyone using Vivaldi Mail? It's the mail client built into Vivaldi browser, kind of like Opera used to have.

I've used the browser, but have kept my mail separate for now. Tempted to make the leap and try the 2in1 solution more consistently, but would like to hear about the pros and cons of combining mail and browsing.

TIA
Aet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Feb 2022, 02:58 AM   #2
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

I have a vivaldi.net email address. I use the Vivaldi browser, but only occasionally. I don't use their client at all, just their webmail interface. I do have an email client that can access their mail servers.

As for 'mail and browsing', I tend to use webmail more often than an email client simply because it's easier for me to use one program to do stuff (mail and browsing) than one program for each..

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2022, 08:20 PM   #3
Aet

Quote:
As for 'mail and browsing', I tend to use webmail more often than an email client simply because it's easier for me to use one program to do stuff (mail and browsing) than one program for each.
That makes sense, but I feel like webmail tabs tend to get lost in the sea of other tabs (I tend to have a lot of them open most days ). Though, Vivaldi does have that tab grouping feature, which could be useful.
Old 9 Jun 2022, 09:12 PM   #4
Aet

I thought I'd give a small update.
I've used the client for a few months now and I've really gotten used to it. I like how I no longer have to log in to different webmail accounts and navigate different UIs or even switch windows. Since I spend a lot of time in the browser anyway, it's just so convenient to have mail there too.
Feature-wise it seems to be on par with most other clients as well. It does a few things differently than others, though. Like you have to manually mark emails as read. It was weird at first, but it makes sense to me now to see brand new unseen emails, seen but not fully read or replied to emails and emails you've read and dealt with.
I also use their Feeds feature and I like how easy it is to forward interesting articles and podcasts via email.
For the curious ones, their website is on https://vivaldi.com.
Old 10 Jun 2022, 02:14 AM   #5
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

I don't see the attraction of this.

It sort of worked with Mozilla because the Firefox/Thunderbird combination is many people's favourite anyway, but the chance of that being the case with Vivaldi seems slim.

I don't see any advantage of having the two things in the same application. Either you run them in separate windows (in which case, what's the point?) or you have your mail client in a tab that gets lost in the other tabs. With a separate client you can easily switch through the task bar or via alt-tab.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2022, 03:35 AM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

https://youtu.be/Mxx7h1NYUS8
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2022, 03:49 AM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

Vivaldi Mail announcement: https://vivaldi.com/blog/vivaldi-mai...ader-are-here/
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2022, 04:58 PM   #8
Aet

@SideshowBob Of course, this combined solution might not work for everyone.

According to some Vivaldi users, Opera browser used to have the browser and mail combined and sounds like it was very popular. I never used Opera myself, but it looks like Vivaldi is now preferred by many who did.
Old 1 Apr 2023, 07:41 PM   #9
Avion

Vivaldi Webmail

I've recently logged in to my Vivaldi webmail account, that I signed up for in December 2013. Surprised/pleased to see that, after many years of not using the e-mail account, there wasn't a single spam e-mail received during all those years.

Now, I've been looking at what is still on offer for this account - 5GB mail storage, plus the ability to edit a sieve filter. One downside is that there is no 2FA, but I've changed the password, to one of those long/crazy ones that one can generate in KeePass.

Plus, the account also has a calendar, and it's easy to create/set up CalDAV in my 'phone.

All in all, it's not a bad offering.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2023, 03:25 AM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

I briefly tried using the Vivaldi browser with the built-in email client but found it too complex with too many options for my liking, which is exactly the problem with the Vivaldi browser itself. I like things very simple and streamlined. I just want to be able to read, send, delete, and archive my email. I don't need a million options.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2023, 05:20 PM   #11
Aet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avion View Post
ISurprised/pleased to see that, after many years of not using the e-mail account, there wasn't a single spam e-mail received during all those years.
That's great! I think it depends a lot on who you share the address with. I have one email address that is publicly listed and that receives a lot of annoying spam. Other accounts receive hardly any spam or none at all.

Regarding 2FA, I think I read somewhere that they are working on it or at least want to, so I guess there's hope that one day Vivaldi will have 2FA.

@TenFour, I get what you mean, but what I like about Vivaldi is that you can achieve simplicity, you just need to put in some work by changing the settings and appearance. It's like they're letting you decide how you want the browser to look and behave instead of forcing you to conform to their ideas.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 11:42 PM   #12
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aet View Post
I think it depends a lot on who you share the address with. I have one email address that is publicly listed and that receives a lot of annoying spam.
Whenever I had to put an email address on a page where it would be displayed 'publically', I would use a service such as spammenot. This script has its' own website, or the code (in many flavors) can be d/l'ed and used locally or hosted somewhere else. This script will display an address or other text label on the web page itself, but not in that pages' source code.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2023, 04:58 PM   #13
north

vivaldi email is highly recommended. from my point of view rocksolid and for years without problems. i use it intensively.
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2023, 05:45 PM   #14
truemagic

I used it once and the mail ended up in my Gmail spam folder.
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 10:16 PM   #15
Avion

Vivaldi now has two-factor authentication

Quote:
We’ve rolled out Two-Factor Authentication for Vivaldi accounts and a new reputation system for Vivaldi Webmail access.
https://vivaldi.com/blog/community/w...ccess/#new_tab
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote