EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 25 Aug 2004, 12:12 PM   #1
tropicbarb

Turning off VCF cards

I would like to know how to turn off the VCF cards. I bolong to a lot of Yahoo groups and it is againest their regulations to use them. I had no idea that the cards were on until one of the group monderators told me to turn them off.

I would greatly appreciate help in turning them off.

Thanks so much,
Barb
tropicbarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Aug 2004, 01:02 PM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Runbox does not support VCF cards in the web interface so there is nothing to turn off.

If you are using a mail client to send your mail then it's probably the mail client adding it and you'll have to shut it off in that.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2004, 02:16 PM   #3
tropicbarb

Thanks for your reply Rich. I am using Runbox to send out my mail without going through any one else so I have no idea how the VCF card is turned on.

Barb
Old 25 Aug 2004, 03:59 PM   #4
Goldielocks19

Hiya..im in a group with barb..its not quite a VCF
its an notepad attachment with a copy of the text she writes in her emails.

never seen anything like that before.

Jennie
Goldielocks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2004, 04:13 PM   #5
tropicbarb

Hi Jennie,
Rita sent me a note to turn it off and I don't know what to do about it. None of my other groups have said anything about it. Maybe this group can help me.

Barb
Old 25 Aug 2004, 04:22 PM   #6
Goldielocks19

ya only reason we said anything cause its against Yahells TOS.
they considering it as blocking ads.

But its not a VCF your using...it seems to be a Text doc.

Ok i sent myself 2 emails..usually I use incredimail..but this time i used runbox.

the first one i used with HTML editor...and i received an attachment.

The 2nd one i did as plain text and I didnt get any attachment docs...so thast why.

Since thats the case, i wouldnt ever stop anyone from using HTML in their emails...so i will discuss this with Rita.
And we will just hope yahoo never says anything.

Does anyone know why it sends a plain text attachment when you use HTMLemails?
Is there anyway to shut it off???

Thanks
Jennie
Old 25 Aug 2004, 07:03 PM   #7
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hmm...is it a .txt or a .doc file?

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2004, 07:21 PM   #8
extratime

This is a little weird.

I use the HTML editor quite often within the Runbox web interface to send messages to Yahoo groups.

I have never had this problem of an attached text doc.

Are you sure this is nothing connected with Incredimail?

Also what OS is being used? Mac OS has all sort of funky problems with attached text files, etc.
extratime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2004, 08:02 PM   #9
tropicbarb

I am using XP and it is usually a txt file. I do not use Incredimail because I don't like it. As I mentioned to Jennie, her group is the only Yahell group that has complained and I really don't want them on my case for this.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Barb
Old 25 Aug 2004, 10:17 PM   #10
extratime

Doesn't seem that there is anything unusual in your set-up.

I don't have any concrete suggestions, but let me ask a few more questions that may help someone diagnose your problem:

1) Is the text attachment indicated on the yahoo group message archive?

2) Do all the group members get the text attachment from you or are only selected members getting it?

3) In your group settings is your "Message Format" set to "Convert to HTML" or "Do not convert to HTML"? I don't think this should make a difference, but just in case my settings are always set to "Convert to HTML."

4) If the problem is only affecting selected members in your group what is their "Message Format" setting?

5) Are your messages to the group moderated and require approval?

Basically what I am getting at is that it is possible that part of the problem may not be on the Runbox side, especially since you mentioned that no other group appears to be affected.

What is affecting you was happening to one of the members in one group that I subscribed to. In his case the person was using a MAC OS and a Spymac email account. Not all of us got the text attachment document with the email text repeated. Only some of us did. In that case there was no solution since the problem depended on what type of email service the receiving members used.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 12:49 PM   #11
Goldielocks19

im the owner of the group.
it is not moderated.
yes all messages are converted to HTML (cause it is a graphics group)
under her settings it says messages format HTML
yahoo no longer keeps attachments so i cant tell if its in the archives,
i can see it, my mod can..and a few members have commented on it.
It shows up as a ATT1.txt 292 bytes

the other info barb will have to inform you on. if she is using XP...then shes not on MAC OS.

thanks for trying to help.

Jennie
Old 26 Aug 2004, 05:22 PM   #12
extratime

Thanks for the info Jennie. Everything seems to be ok in terms of settings, and the fact that the group is not moderated rules that out as a cause of problem.

Ok here's a simple test.

Have Barb email you (Jennie) and a couple of other members *directly* an HTML formatted message (like would normally be sent to your Yahoo group) from her Runbox account.

Does the text attachment still come through or not?

If it does not come through then you know the problem is somehow linked with how Yahoo groups deals with messages.

If it does come through then you know the problem lies either on the Runbox side *and/or* how your email services receive some HTML emails.

In any case I don't think Barb will have a problem with Yahoo group regulations. Like I mentioned a similar thing was (and still is) happening to one member of a group I am subscribed to. He has been posting like this for quite some time without Yahoo taking any action against his account.

Last edited by extratime : 26 Aug 2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 07:22 PM   #13
ncollingridge

With respect to extratimes' comment that "Mac OS has all sort of funky problems with attached text files", I would be interested to know more on this. I find it hard to imagine that this is an operating system issue as the creation and reading of an email is pretty much totally down to the software used for the purpose - the OS doesn't really have anything to do with it. In the case he/she describes it sounds like it might be an issue related to the Spymac webmail service rather than anything else.

In general MacOS X (and Linux for that matter) is a much more widely tolerant environment for files than Windows is, and out of the box most filetypes (such as jpeg, pdf, gif, zip files etc) are readily accessible using the included software with no need to install anything extra.
ncollingridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2004, 08:00 PM   #14
extratime

ncollingridge

Point taken, and I stand corrected.

I am not looking to get into a debate of Mac OS vs. Windows. It was a throw-away remark, and that is why I in a later post I added the part about SpyMac because I did realize on reflection that that *might* be the culprit instead. I am not a Mac expert, and I am not a Mac basher.

The reason I was mentioning this user (who uses the Mac OS + SpyMac combination) in later posts was because he seemed (and still is having) the same problem as Barb. It was a parallel experience even though Barb doesn't use Mac OS.

Last edited by extratime : 26 Aug 2004 at 08:14 PM.