EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 8 Aug 2016, 08:54 PM   #1
philtec

inbox.com to shut down free service

I have been using this service since May 2006, served me well and still use it.

IMPORTANT: Regarding your email account
Inbox.com free email service will soon be discontinued. At Inbox.com we have enjoyed providing our highly popular free email service to our users over the last 10 years.

Although we have made great innovations to provide you with a top notch service, we have never passed that cost on to our user base.

However, due to the rising costs of maintaining the high level of service, we will no longer provide free emails anymore. However if you still wish to keep your account you can easily switch your account to a Premium email account. Please do so before September 30, 2016.

Our pricing is set so friendly to ensure we can offer you a cheaper solution than other email services like Gmail®, Yahoo!® or Outlook.com®

You can purchase our superb email service here.

Only $20/year for our Exclusive plan with 30GB of storage and $8.88/year for a Premium plan with 8 GB of storage. Click here to learn more about payment.

If you decide not to continue using the service then you have time until September 30, 2016 to download the content of your account using our easy backup guide. Click here to learn more.

After that date, any remaining content in user accounts will be permanently removed from our servers.

Thank you for understanding.
Your Inbox.com Team
philtec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Aug 2016, 09:10 PM   #2
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Got the same email today also. Need to think about this. Not sure I want switch to a paid account with an account that gets very little use.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2016, 09:14 PM   #3
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
just another shame
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2016, 10:32 PM   #4
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Yeah, I got the bad news today as well.

I guess another free ride is over.

I have multiple inbox.com accounts and will now have to consolidate them into one account.

I'll just have to try to migrate all emails into the one account I decide to keep.

I can't remember if inbox.com offers alias names?

That might be an option when consolidating?

At least they didn't shut down completely without a paid option.

The prices they are charging don't seem too bad.

We'll see.................................
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2016, 12:35 AM   #5
Inquiring Mind

Inbox.com Alternatives ???

Which free webmail services are comparable ???
Inquiring Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2016, 04:48 AM   #6
Zach

I was never keen on inbox.com. I used them as my main account for about 9 months or so, but found them rubbish. My account was constantly full of spam (around 50 spam emails a day, not exaggerating) even though I never gave out my email address to anyone other than friends & family. I became so sick of constantly having to delete spam that I eventually went looking for another server. The account inactivity period isn't enough either: unless you log in ever 12 weeks, you lose your data and your account is deleted. As for the graphics, they were very basic. It was hard to use the account on my iPad: it keep freezing whenever I was typing emails so eventually I learned to write the email in the notes then copy & paste them into the email. Not the most efficient way. There are many way better servers available than this.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2016, 07:26 AM   #8
Inquiring Mind

Thank you Zach.

Your list includes many webmail services that I have not heard of before.

I guess I will be experimenting for the next month and a half.
Inquiring Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2016, 06:47 PM   #9
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

24-mail.com

is german...lots of space. But I found out it's smtp is a bit flaky...unstabile.

and this one does NOT ask your cell number!!:-)

have a nice day.

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2016, 09:01 PM   #11
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

http://oneuk.com/

this seems fun in the Dutch language area:-)

lol

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2016, 01:46 AM   #12
David
Ultimate Contributor

I notice that oneeurope is not on the list......
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2016, 09:22 AM   #13
thebull
Essential Contributor

Forgot mail2world

[quote=Zach;595931]Some alternatives are here:

Forgot
www.mail2world.com

AND
https://www.mail.com/int/

[/url]

Last edited by thebull : 19 Aug 2016 at 09:25 AM. Reason: I forgot one
thebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2016, 08:27 AM   #14
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Received a third email today. Same as the first email.

I am probably going to just let this one go. I've never had any problems with the service, but rarely use it. Like all of my accounts I use POP3 or IMAP4 exclusively. Rarely log in via a browser. So the user interface is not important to me. There is one annoying issue with Inbox.com, and that is after "popping" the account, with my client set to delete messages after receiving, Inbox.com ignores this and keeps them in my Inbox. I have to log in via my browser and manually delete them. Right now there are five messages in my inbox. Three are the topic of discussing and the other two are December 8, 2015. These two are messages from my one and only "only web mail" account (Lycos) which I forward messages to the Inbox.com account. So I will have to change that to another account.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2016, 07:43 AM   #15
Just Bill

I'm not a huge fan of Inbox.com because basically it's a spam magnet. That being said, the domain name is appealing. I have tried it in the past, but I would never give the service any serious consideration, especially as a paid service. Needless to say, they're no FastMail.

Out of curiosity, I emailed the company to inquire as to when this paid service would be available. They advised me that although paid service is available for those who currently have an account, they did not know when it would be available for new users.

Yeah, thanks but no thanks.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote