EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 13 Jan 2017, 05:09 AM   #1
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

gmail interfaces

Does Gmail have more than one interface and do they host domain mail ?
Thanks for any info
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Jan 2017, 10:25 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

They will certainly do hosting (for your domain name) sheprd. They will also let you use "Google Cloud" for your own web site, at dirt cheap prices, as you are only charged for the resources you use (bandwidth and storage, etc) You are not locked in and can leave anytime.

I did find the process a little complicated, when I used Google Cloud, on a free two month trial, and hosted a web site, a few months ago. I did not pursue this further as I considered my understanding of the technicalities a little weak. If you can program (in any scripting language, or better) I would recommend Google hosting, wholeheartedly.

edit: they only have the one interface (for GMail) that I know of.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
edit: they only have the one interface (for GMail) that I know of.
No, Inbox by Gmail.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2017, 07:41 PM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

There are multiple "interfaces" in the sense of an application you download. Inbox, mentioned above is one of them, Gmail native app is included in any version of Android.

If the OP's question was about web interfaces, there is a Basic HTML view, designed for non-standard browsers (as defined by Google) and/or slow connections.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2017, 12:33 AM   #5
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
I do use INBOX, Berenburger. Mostly to organize travel arrangements. I do not consider it useful for everyday use, so did not mention it.

You are correct though - it is an interface, I guess
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2017, 10:09 AM   #6
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks to all responders. I appreciate your info
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2017, 09:00 PM   #7
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
There are multiple "interfaces" in the sense of an application you download. Inbox, mentioned above is one of them, Gmail native app is included in any version of Android.

If the OP's question was about web interfaces, there is a Basic HTML view, designed for non-standard browsers (as defined by Google) and/or slow connections.
https://inbox.google.com is also in a web interface variant.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2017, 10:57 PM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

You can use G Suite to host your own domain email, though it is probably overkill if that is the only thing you need. There are many other email providers that can be used to host your own domain email and then you can continue to use Gmail to receive and view your email. As to interfaces, I prefer the standard Gmail web interface to Inbox. Inbox groups emails into categories, which sounds useful except I found that no matter how much assistance I give I still have to search every category every day to find the odd things that end up in the wrong place. To me that makes it more hassle than a simple chronological list which I can scan visually and quickly to find what I am looking for. I found I was losing track of important messages using Inbox. For example, I do some freelance work so I might get an occasional message from someone new that could be a paying job, and I don't want the chance it will disappear into a category I rarely check.

Last edited by TenFour : 5 Feb 2017 at 11:02 PM.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2017, 06:38 AM   #9
stanstr

gmail interface

Aside from their Basic HTML view, Google itself doesn't have anything (asaik). BUT, you can use almost any stand alone email client with Gmail. Personally I use Thunderbird, but you can use Outlook, Opera or others.
stanstr is offline   Reply With Quote