EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Jul 2019, 01:17 AM   #1
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Some Contact Pictures appear from Gmail, others dont?

So,
I recently imported a thousand contacts from Gmail into Fastmail (trying to wean myself off some of Google's services and onto open source services)...

SOME of my contacts that have Gmail addresses have contact photos that magically appear in Fastmail contacts... Some don't. Oddly, many people that I know that are not technically minded at all, including some very young family members, have their pictures appear... AND I know they don't have a clue what Gravatar is...

SO....

Why do some contacts magically get their contact pictures imported from Gmail... while others don't?

WHAT is importing the pictures? Is this Fastmail, or the Contacts App (using CardDav) on my phone?

TIA~!

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Jul 2019, 09:29 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I believe that only Google services have access to the avatar you set up for Gmail or your Google profile. To my knowledge (and results from my testing), Fastmail only has access to Gravatar profile images.

To test this for the Gmail accounts you see with avatars, use the Gravatar avatar test feature on those Gmail addresses you see which have avatars:
https://en.gravatar.com/site/check

It will be interesting if you find anyone with an avatar displayed in an email when received at Fastmail who do not have a Gravatar avatar image. Let us know what you find.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2019, 12:33 PM   #3
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I believe that only Google services have access to the avatar you set up for Gmail or your Google profile. To my knowledge (and results from my testing), Fastmail only has access to Gravatar profile images.

To test this for the Gmail accounts you see with avatars, use the Gravatar avatar test feature on those Gmail addresses you see which have avatars:
https://en.gravatar.com/site/check

It will be interesting if you find anyone with an avatar displayed in an email when received at Fastmail who do not have a Gravatar avatar image. Let us know what you find.

Bill
Ichecked all the accounts that have icons among a number of friends, only one had a gravatar...

Last edited by ChinaLamb : 7 Jul 2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 03:10 PM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

A quick google indicates a connection with users of G Suite/Google+ accounts.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2019, 09:05 PM   #5
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Interestingly, g+ was dismantled earlier this year... But it seems to get some gsuite icons, and not others... For instance, it gets 6 out of 8 people in my family's gsuite account... Why the first 7 and not mine, or my daughter's... Very odd.

I would love it if fastmail built upon this and included other Gmail and other accounts too...
Old 6 Jul 2019, 09:07 PM   #6
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Fred,
I'm searching and not finding anything... Can you post a link?