EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 5 Sep 2022, 05:39 AM   #1
InquiringMind

Does Yahoo Mail Plus Glitch Less ???

I am trying to help a friend who has made a mess for themselves.

Question: Does Yahoo Mail Plus (the paid one without ads), function any smoother than the free version of Yahoo Mail ???

Reason for question: My friend has hundreds of thousands of emails. Most are unread and are just ads from dozens of websites they subscribed to. But, they have some read and unread important emails interspersed amongst them. I am trying to help them move 5000 - 10000 emails at a time into folders starting with the oldest dates, just to get the web interface on Yahoo Mail working well enough so they can start to delete hundreds of thousands. But it takes about 30 minutes to move 5000 emails into a folder because the Inbox is so overloaded that the web interface crashes the browser over and over. We have tried blocking the ads. It does not help. The browser still chokes and stalls and crashes. We have tried other browsers, other computers and other internet connections. It is not the hardware, it is just too full of emails. Quota is about 4% of the 1TB of space available. If they go to the paid version, can they get a less crashy connection? IMAP will not load more than the most recent 10000 emails per folder, so neither Outlook nor Thunderbird will be of any help here.

Any input about Yahoo Mail Plus appreciated.
InquiringMind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Sep 2022, 07:01 AM   #2
emoore
Essential Contributor

Thunderbird limits the number of messages in a folder to 4 billion. The maximum size of a single message is 4GB. I've helped several people in the MozillaZine forums that had over 40K messages in a IMAP inbox folder. Perhaps you set some disk space limit in the Synchronization & Storage settings for that account in Thunderbird.

Disabling global search and offline folders eliminates the background processes downloading messages to your hard disk, which should speed things up.

You might also think about creating a saved search folder to essentially create a virtual folder that has the messages for a subset of a very large folder. Thunderbird should offload the effort of that search to the IMAP server if you configure it to search online. You can then use the saved search folder to let you move a more manageable chunk of messages. Then change the search criteria and repeat as needed.

You could try to do the same thing using the quick filter bar but it requires you to make that folder the current folder, before you do the search. If you're running into some sort of limit that would be a problem.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Saved_Search

The IMAPSize utility at https://www.broobles.com/imapsize/ hasn't been under active development since 2009 but I've used it within the last year and it worked fine for me. "It is not another mail client. The main purpose of IMAPSize is to locate space consuming folders and allow you to manage them, hence putting your storage quota under control." Its another possibility if you're running Windows.
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Sep 2022, 11:05 AM   #3
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore View Post
The IMAPSize utility at https://www.broobles.com/imapsize/ hasn't been under active development since 2009 but I've used it within the last year and it worked fine for me. "It is not another mail client. The main purpose of IMAPSize is to locate space consuming folders and allow you to manage them, hence putting your storage quota under control." Its another possibility if you're running Windows.
Mostly for the OP, but really for anybody.. I've used that program dozens of times, although not in the past couple years because I haven't had to, but I'd recommend/suggest it as well.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2022, 05:34 AM   #4
digp
Master of the @

imapsync ?
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2022, 04:15 AM   #5
InquiringMind

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the kind suggestions, but Yahoo and AOL limit IMAP folders to only be able to access the most recent 10,000 emails. It has nothing to do with settings in Thunderbird, or Outlook or any other IMAP access based program. No matter what IMAP software is used, Yahoo will only allow an IMAP folder to be filled with the most recent 10,000 emails. It is a problem that has been reported on various forums on the internet and Yahoo / AOL apparently has no intention of removing that cap.

The reason I am inquiring about Yahoo Mail Plus is to try to get a less glitchy access in the webmail so that we can move batches of 5000 to 9999 emails into folders so that then they can be sorted and deleted without the browser freezing and crashing. Yahoo's webmail search does not work properly because the folder has hundreds of thousands of emails in it. For example, even though there are about 10,000 emails from 2011, if you search Inbox for email with dates of 1/1/2011 to 12/31/2011 the results are ZERO.

So I hope that someone who has Yahoo Mail Plus can comment to let me know if the webmail works better without the ads streaming in.

TIA
InquiringMind is offline   Reply With Quote