EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 11 Apr 2020, 01:43 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Thumbs down Ulimit.com is gone

Provider of subdomains/URL forwarding Ulimit.com is no longer. This may be a fait divers for many, but a very tiny piece of my first internet discovery disappears.

Back in the early 2000s, when domains weren't as cheap as they are now, lot of people used URL forwarding with subdomains. I remember the likes of www.go.to/any-name, .eu.org provided free subdomains, there were the likes of .de.vu subdomains, .da.ru subdomains (although those were used for a lot of spam sites), ... and there was Ulimit providing subdomains, including .be.tf subdomains. Back then, .be.tf was used quite a lot here in Belgium, for my first websites (hosted at MSN Groups, another long gone service) I used the likes of .tk and .be.tf myself and was satisfied enough with it. It served my needs, until domains became more affordable, since then I have bought my domains and haven't used any forwarding service anymore in over 15 years.

Still, this is a bit of nostalgia that disappears. I think of the ones I named, only .eu.org is still around. Maybe de.vu, I'm not sure. But even .eu.org website seems like it hasn't been updated in ages.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Apr 2020, 11:20 AM   #2
Folio

The internet certainly felt like a different place back then. I have one of those eu.org domains that I’ve used for years for side projects, and I wonder how many of those domains are still being actively used. Another free subdomain service that is still around is afraid.org.
Folio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2020, 02:28 PM   #3
Bamb0
Master of the @

This one says FREE.. I wonder if its as good??

www.easyredir.com/free-url-redirect
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2020, 02:17 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folio View Post
The internet certainly felt like a different place back then. I have one of those eu.org domains that I’ve used for years for side projects, and I wonder how many of those domains are still being actively used. Another free subdomain service that is still around is afraid.org.
Afraid.org is still going, though I cannot see from which domains they offer subdomains. I can't find my way around that website.

eu.org is still going, but the website seems to not have been updated in ages. So I am not sure if registering a subdomain.eu.org is still going smoothly, and if the contacts for support are still functioning.

nl.nu is another service still existing, but apparently not being maintained and updated in ages. I'm not even sure if signing up for a subdomain.nl.nu is still possible.

V3.com seems to be gone. They were the provider of domains such as surf.to, go.to, i.am, ... where you would choose the name behind the / afte the domain. Several friends of mine had a website i.am/their-name

The internet is certainly a very different place compared to 15 years ago. Real domainnames becoming available for a very affordable price is of course a very good evolution. Back in the early 2000s the likes of .tk, .be.tf, go.to/, etc were often used because real domains were a lot more expensive than they are now.
And if you wanted a free online presence, you relied on the likes of Yahoo Groups or MSN communities. Although I guess there were options like Geocities too for a more proper website.

The internet evolved a lot, but I sometimes get nostalgic for those old days. Probably because those old days are strongly connection with my early twenties, an age when you feel like everything is possible and you have an entire life ahead of you
Old 25 Apr 2020, 01:12 AM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Where can you see under which domains you can register a subdomain at afraid.org?

The domain i.am, which used to be owned by V3.com for URL's such as www.i.am/enter-any-name-here, is now used by rapper Will.i.am, whose official website is http://will.i.am
I am unsure if his management owns the i.am domain ; they could easily allow other people to also register their-own-name.i.am but when browsing to www.i.am it says there is no content there as yet.
Old 25 Apr 2020, 10:50 PM   #6
Folio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Where can you see under which domains you can register a subdomain at afraid.org?
Hi Tsunami, You can find a list here:

https://freedns.afraid.org/domain/registry/
Old 26 Apr 2020, 02:10 AM   #7
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Hi Tsunami, You can find a list here:

https://freedns.afraid.org/domain/registry/
It's a list of domains already registred, not a list of domains you can register.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2020, 03:02 AM   #8
Folio

I might have misunderstood Tsunami's question but my understanding was that Tsunami was asking for a list of domains for which he could

Quote:
register a subdomain
Those are the domains that are available for that purpose.
Old 26 Apr 2020, 03:06 AM   #9
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Ok, at least one of use misunderstood Tsunami's question
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote