EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Aug 2004, 12:49 PM   #1
Jerry
Essential Contributor

What does SPAM button do?

I just noticed a (new?) SPAM button on the (Basic) VIEW page. There's no mention of it in the HELP file that opens from that page. What does it do?

Jerry
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Aug 2004, 12:56 PM   #2
Starion
Essential Contributor

I also noticed the "spam" button in my guest interface. I don't think guest users have the ability to report spam.
Starion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2004, 01:12 PM   #3
severach
Essential Contributor

I saw it too. That's a bit small for yet another outage. Let's hope there's more.

While automated spam blocking isn't available to free accounts, I don't see any reason that free accounts can't report spam other than it doesn't make sense to report spam and not be able to share the results.

I think FM needs to put a large boot in a small place and force a low cost license to anti-spam all account levels. So far the only thing FM has that I can sell is the spam filter which is substantially outperforming all the other services but potential customers must pay to use it. As long as Hotmail's spam filter stinks, there's 30M potential customers.
severach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2004, 05:47 PM   #4
cosffm

Yes, this Spam button should correspond with the 'Report Spam' menu item in the Action pull down menu.

Jeremy mentioned that they were testing a spam reporting tool; this seems to be it. Neato. But it is missing in the advanced screen, isn't it?
cosffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2004, 09:32 PM   #5
fmfan
Master of the @

From posts here: 3 questions

1. What is effect of reporting email as Spam?

Any update on this: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...595#post238595 ?

2. Can Guest account report spam?

3. Looks like not enough space Advanced email view page for 'Spam' button.

Given quote here: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...949#post235949
Quote:
When released in production, simply dragging a message to Junk Mail will be enough to mark it as spam.
OH - Jeremy's post below.

Did not scroll UP the drop-down | pop-up list Advanced view to see 'Report spam'.

Just tried & selected that for a spam email then clicked on 'Done' and email remained in 'Inbox'.

What is the appropriate action after select 'Report spam' Advanced view action menu to report as spam and auto-jump back to 'Inbox'?

Last edited by fmfan : 29 Aug 2004 at 10:25 PM.
fmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2004, 09:42 PM   #6
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I was just about to post about this. Official announcement shortly... Here's the brief:

All service levels can report spam. At this stage, it just logs the report to a database - we'll work out what to do with it over the coming weeks as we analyse how effective the reporting is looking. When you report spam, the message is also moved into your Junk Mail folder.

On the advanced screen, the 'report spam' action is in the action menu, and the ctrl-space keyboard shortcut list.

If you open a message in the Junk Mail folder, the action becomes 'report non-spam', and moves the message into the Inbox.

These actions are also available on the mailbox screen - just select the messages and choose the action from the mailbox screen menu.

When you choose 'empty junk' all messages in Junk Mail are also reported as spam. So, report any mis-filed messages as non-spam before you empty that folder!
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2004, 03:13 AM   #7
severach
Essential Contributor

I hope that reporting non spam counts for more than reporting spam. When noobs get that torrent of spam they go nuts and think that it all is spam. They can't remember or recognize things that look like spam but aren't because they are things they signed up for and they can get removed from the list. Once a list gets popular, it almost surely gets reported as spam.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 09:08 AM   #8
LrdVader
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
When you choose 'empty junk' all messages in Junk Mail are also reported as spam. So, report any mis-filed messages as non-spam before you empty that folder!
I'm not sure that's a good idea. It means that every time someone overlooks a false positive, it will be falsely reported as spam, which will create more false positives. Not good.
LrdVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2004, 10:14 AM   #9
severach
Essential Contributor

Also true because I let my junk mail collect. That means it won't get reported until I get a space warning.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 10:41 AM   #10
mballas
Essential Contributor

Re: What does SPAM button do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry
I just noticed a (new?) SPAM button on the (Basic) VIEW page. There's no mention of it in the HELP file that opens from that page. What does it do?

Jerry
It seems to be only on the basic view. Why?
mballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2004, 10:56 AM   #11
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
On the advanced screen, the 'report spam' action is in the action menu, and the ctrl-space keyboard shortcut list.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 10:58 AM   #12
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by severach
Also true because I let my junk mail collect. That means it won't get reported until I get a space warning.
Do you have a better solution to this problem? I can't think of one - although I do plan some tutorials about spam protection which will include a suggestion to empty junk regularly, for this reason.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 11:03 AM   #13
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LrdVader
I'm not sure that's a good idea. It means that every time someone overlooks a false positive, it will be falsely reported as spam, which will create more false positives. Not good.
Correct - but I expect this to be more than balanced by the additional correct reports this will provide. As the filtering improves from this feedback, this will also happen less often.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 11:04 AM   #14
mballas
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Thanks, Jeremy, I never used that.
mballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2004, 11:13 AM   #15
michaelj

Quote:
Do you have a better solution to this problem? I can't think of one - although I do plan some tutorials about spam protection which will include a suggestion to empty junk regularly, for this reason.
How does this work with other IMAP clients such as Outlook? Will the spam reporting go the way it should if I drag the file into or out of the junk mail folder, or must we do this on the webside?

Michael
michaelj is offline   Reply With Quote