EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Apr 2006, 11:40 PM   #16
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Updated first post... keep 'em coming!

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2006, 11:51 PM   #17
charlot

Floating static groups and categories box

If the groups box in the address book would be always staying at the same place in the window (floating static box), it would be much easier to sort the messages, as we would not have to scroll back up to see the groups or to group contacts.

The same thing would be applicable to categories in the mailbox.

This would make it a lot faster when we have lots of messages/contacts to categorize/group.

It would make the interface much nicer, too.

Very simple Javascript of DHTML or layer can be used.
charlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 08:21 AM   #18
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I'd like to have some sort of "scripting" ability (or perhaps I should call it "macros"?). The idea is to be able to automate things I do a lot. Example: "choose quote as text, reply, choose HML compose". I had some better examples of usage in my mind earlier today but the hour is too late for thinking clearly right now.

Another, along the same line: be able to save some custom actions (apply certain style/attribute) in HTML compose, and then being able to apply it to selected text..

ALternative password that canot be used to hijack the account,

Block email at SMTP by matching envelope info to pattern (regexp or other) - This could be used to block spammed subdomain addresses.

HTML in notepad (and perhaps way to "publish" note to filespace, for acessibility from where I do not dare use my FastMail main password.

Some more... But I'm falling asleep...
hadaso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 08:45 AM   #19
axtg

I call the LDAP function. At my university they just switched to the newest version of the exchange server (including the outlook web access part) and I realized how lovely it would be to have synchronized address books. Won't be switching though, since it only offers 250 mb of space (muhaha )

I know that LDAP is a server intense process, but there is always the option to only provide it to Enhanced members. There aren't any free LDAP servers out there (for as far as I know) and paying for it wouldn't make sense having a paid e-mail provider already. So I am really relying on my mail provider for this..... Fastmail that is !

Cheers!

P.s.: Might by the way be interested in the whole new Microsoft Live Mail and its dedicated new mail client. Could give Fastmail some competition I guess (although some people might not agree on this ). Imagine 2gb, your own domain, fresh look&feel and a mail client especially designed for the service.... Well we'll see!
axtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 09:40 AM   #20
Rip Slagcheek

Quote:
Originally posted by axtg
There aren't any free LDAP servers out there (for as far as I know) and paying for it wouldn't make sense having a paid e-mail provider already. So I am really relying on my mail provider for this..... Fastmail that is !
Try ScheduleWorld .

LDAP is my top request for FM.
Rip Slagcheek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2006, 09:00 PM   #21
mjz

My top votes are for:

1. Global search

And if you can make it as fast as Gmail's, all the better!

2. Labels

Frankly, they're a revelation. Being able to apply multiple labels to emails would be perfect. Doubtless that's a big ask, not least because you'll want to retain folders and IMAP functionality. BUT I think Yahoo are doing it with their new beta service...

3. Erm, another Gmail feature... "Conversations", except call them something else.

It works brilliantly. It makes working with emails so much easier!

4. Auto BCC [per folder or per personality] for archiving purposes.

5. Folder name and list order

Some of my folder names are quite cryptic because I can't use symbols, etc. Surely there's a way around this? Also being able to change the order of the folder list would be helpful.

6. Gmail-a-like tooltip showing options as you type email addresses when composing

Last edited by mjz : 13 Apr 2006 at 09:08 PM.
mjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2006, 09:51 PM   #22
rishi
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Also being able to change the order of the folder list would be helpful.
I hope I am correct but I think this feature is already available
rishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2006, 03:20 AM   #23
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

LDAP addressbook syncrhonization.
Label Support

Scheduled IMAP Polling of other accounts (currently one time only)
mvpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2006, 04:28 AM   #24
fhapgood
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by rishi
I hope I am correct but I think this feature is already available
Here is something I think FM already supports, I think, and I don't know how to do it. My website and almost all its pages are on Fastmail. Right now I maintain those pages by keeping a copy of them locally, making the changes I wish, then going to files section of FM and uploading the changed files into my 'public' dir. Works fine, but I'd rather make changes on the fly -- go to the page on my website, evoke NetDrive somehow, make a few changes, and then save them to Fastmail. Can I do this now?
When I try to up load a file to xublic/filename I'm told that's illegal. (I can upload to x:filename OK, but the texts end up in a private folder. While is cool for the most part, just not when I'm working on my website.)
fhapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2006, 08:29 AM   #25
Qwavel

Address Book Sync (or LDAP support)

In my opinion there is only one big thing missing at fastmail: easy syncing of the address book.

I use TBird and it is quite ackward to export each of my TBird address books (ie. each folder of addresses must be done seperately) and then important them all into fastmail. And then the folder info gets lost!

I think that exposing my FM address book via LDAP would solve the problem?
Qwavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2006, 08:57 PM   #26
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

RSS Integration

I want to specify a feed and have it come to my e-mail box, and administer it in the web interface.

I want to send an e-mail to a specific address (or have some sort of API/button thing like Yahoo does) and have the feed added to my list.

Of course, I want to import and export OPML so that I can bring feeds in from other clients, and take them with me when FastMail fails to implement some other feature, causing me to take a break from the service.
mvpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2006, 03:14 AM   #27
IanMcC2

Integrated Calendar and synchronisation of Calendar / address book.
IanMcC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2006, 08:47 PM   #28
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Hi everyone,

Looks like we're done.. can you all check if your requests made it onto the list? I've had to un-double a lot of stuff as a lot of posts were simply me-too'ing.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2006, 03:22 AM   #29
Sherry

Insert Notes at cursor? (instead of appending)

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2006, 04:00 AM   #30
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
Insert Notes at cursor? (instead of appending)

Sherry
A bit of Ajax in the Notepad department would be good.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote