EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Jan 2017, 08:25 AM   #1
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

Explanation of the new multi-user account system?

I'm not even sure what words to use to describe this.... but although the older Bus/Family membership system is now gone, there is still a system in place for "adding users to an account". Except it's not at all clear to me what this means in practical reality. Is it limited to the new Professional plan? (and I think it's strange that it doesn't have a name that would make it easy to refer to). Clearly, the admin user has some powers over the sub-user accounts. It doesn't look like, e.g., there is any option for shared disk quota.

I am looking for the official explanation of how this system works, including all the details of what is shared among the connected accounts and the limits and restrictions. I'm particularly interested in how private domains work. I would assume that sub-accounts can use domains belonging to the admin. But again.... looking for the full description Tried to search in the help pages but couldn't find it. Thanks.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Jan 2017, 08:55 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I am not sure I can answer all your questions, but this may clarify how things work somewhat.

The idea is that the first user created is the administrator. He can add new users. They are all automatically accounts of the same type. (Unlike with the old Family and Business accounts, you cannot mix accounts of different types. They are copying the less friendly G-Suite system that forces a total upgrade of everyone if anyone needs a feature only available at a higher subscription level.)

I am nearly sure the administrator (reminder: just the first user created) is the only account that can add and administer domains. The concept of "private" domains does not exist and, indeed, was removed from the older Family and Business account types some time ago.

I think, for the most part, if you know how the old Business accounts work, just replace "MasterUser" with "first created user" and you do understand how they work.

This is not an "official explanation".
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2017, 11:15 AM   #3
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
I'm not even sure what words to use to describe this.... but although the older Bus/Family membership system is now gone...
Just to be clear, it's not totally gone.... If you already have a Family/Business plan, you can keep it for now — FastMail isn't (yet) forcing anybody to upgrade to the new system. The legacy account types are similarly still supported and grandfathered in (for now). For example, I'm still on a "family" plan with a single Enhanced account, which leaves me paying $45/year — $40 for the Enhanced plan and $5 for the family plan. The new pricing model gets rid of this separate charge for the family/business plans, choosing instead to allow any account to add additional accounts that can be administered as part of a group.

Quote:
It doesn't look like, e.g., there is any option for shared disk quota.
I don't think that's ever been an option, to be fair. Even under the old Family/Business account structure, each account had its own distinct quota.

Quote:
I am looking for the official explanation of how this system works, including all the details of what is shared among the connected accounts and the limits and restrictions.
The limits and restrictions in general can be found at Account limits. Also take a look at Managing business accounts (multi-user) — don't be misled by the name — FastMail now seems to have basically categorized all multi-user accounts as "business" and in fact older links on "Managing family accounts" now go this exact same page.

In terms of sharing, FastMail allows for Shared Mail folders, Shared Calendars, and Shared Address Books. Address book sharing is controlled by an administrator, while any individual user can share mail folders and calendars. None of this appears to be automatic, however — there's no address book, calendar, or mail folder for the whole family/business group unless you choose to create one.

Quote:
I'm particularly interested in how private domains work. I would assume that sub-accounts can use domains belonging to the admin.
I'm not sure what you mean by "private domains" but if you're simply referring to custom domains, then yes, sub-accounts would share the same custom domains setup by the admin account. More to the point, addresses are assigned by the admin account — non-admin accounts can no longer configure their own aliases. See Account Administrators in the help system for a list of the options that are restricted to administrators. Manage users in an account provides a bit of insight here as well into what administrators can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
The idea is that the first user created is the administrator. He can add new users. They are all automatically accounts of the same type... I am nearly sure the administrator (reminder: just the first user created) is the only account that can add and administer domains.
Actually, as I understand it, this is the case by default, however any other user you create can also optionally be made an Administrator, which gives them the same rights as the first account.

Quote:
I think, for the most part, if you know how the old Business accounts work, just replace "MasterUser" with "first created user" and you do understand how they work.
This is a pretty good comparison, except that the first user created doesn't quite have the special role that the "MasterUser" used to in terms of being a core account for shared information and administration.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote