EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Jan 2017, 05:44 PM   #1
sslund

How to Change FastMail View on Windows Phone

I hope I can explain the issue I started having as of today -- please ask if I don't do a good job.

I'm on a Windows Phone (Lumia 1520) running Windows 10 Mobile -- the phone was a little over 2 years old. Long story shorter: the non-user replaceable battery died, the repair shop broke the phone when replacing the battery, and I now (as of a few hours ago) have a new Lumia 1520 running Windows 10 Mobile.

I access FM as needed through the browser & a Favorites Bar shortcut. I've been doing it that way for 2+ years -- it works for me.

However, on the "new" phone, the "view" (what I see when I'm logged into my account) is completely different than it was on "old" phone I was using up until Wednesday -- the interface is completely different & seems to be missing some things I use all the time (i.e., mark a message as unread).

Is there some mobile or special url I need to log in from on the "new" phone to get the view I've been using???

For the life of me, I can't figure out what's happened & and how get back to the FM view I use all the time on my phone, and it's driving me crazy.

I'll appreciate any suggestions!

TIA,
Saundra
sslund is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Jan 2017, 04:16 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

That's the 'new' interface. Windows 10 Mobile has a different browser than WP8.1: Edge. Could you try the URL classic.fastmail.com? Do you recognize this as the one you always used?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2017, 05:42 AM   #3
sslund

Ahhh -- thank you! That's the url that works for the full functionality on my Windows Phone, so I can be productive again!

I've been using Windows 10 Mobile since it came out, so I guess I must have forgotten that I used the other url either when I first got the phone or after upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile.

So, now my next concern is that if "classic" is being disabled in a few months, what are those of us using Windows Phones to do?

On my other devices (Windows PCs, laptops, and tablets), the new Web interface is full featured & works fine when I use it (which is infrequent since I use Outlook), but lots of important functionality is missing when accessing the new interface on my Windows Phone.

TIA for any suggestions!
Old 30 Jan 2017, 01:28 AM   #4
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Maybe what you were seeing wasn't the new interface at all.
It could be that your new phone assumed that you'd want the 'mobile screen size' version of the Classic interface rather than the full 'desktop screen size' version.
I suggest you log out, and then log in again, checking on the login screen that the radio button by 'desktop screen size' is selected rather than the one marked 'mobile screen size'.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2017, 08:03 AM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
So, now my next concern is that if "classic" is being disabled in a few months, what are those of us using Windows Phones to do?
The new interface is fully functional in Windows Mobile and Edge.
An alternative is to use IMAP with the native email app.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2017, 05:10 AM   #6
sslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
Maybe what you were seeing wasn't the new interface at all.
It could be that your new phone assumed that you'd want the 'mobile screen size' version of the Classic interface rather than the full 'desktop screen size' version.
I suggest you log out, and then log in again, checking on the login screen that the radio button by 'desktop screen size' is selected rather than the one marked 'mobile screen size'.
Ahh -- good tip & something I hadn't realized before. I went down a rabbit hole with this, but if I correctly understand what I saw, there are basically four different ways (until Classic goes away) FM will look in Edge on a Windows phone depending on whether Edge > Settings is set to "mobile version" preference or "desktop version" preference and whether one logs in from the "Classic" url or "regular" url, yes?

[/b][/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
The new interface is fully functional in Windows Mobile and Edge.
An alternative is to use IMAP with the native email app.
I appreciate the help but cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong that I'm not getting that full functionality in Windows 10 Mobile and Edge in the new interface? I spent a couple of days playing with the new interface on my phone & there are some issues I just can't figure out -- I don't know if I have some settings wrong or am missing new ways of doing things or something?

If Edge "Website preference" is set to "Mobile version" and I go to the new FM interface, everything looks very nice. But, when I reply to HTML or rich text messages, everything is switched to Plain Text; and new emails are also Plain Text.

Is that by design? If so, that's why the new mobile interface doesn't work for me: my workgroup collaborates via email, so formatting is necessary.

OTOH, if Edge "Website preference" is set to "Desktop version" and I go to the new FM interface, it's not as pretty, but I think it will work quite nicely once I get used to it -- whew! From a Windows Phone standpoint, I'm feeling much better about Classic going away in a few months.

One thing I've not managed to find in the new interface is Spell Check -- is it gone or just hiding someplace I've not yet found?

I had played a little with the native app, but I'm one of those people with several FM Identities and I couldn't figure out how to make that work in the Windows Mail app.

Many thanks for the assistance!