EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 31 Jan 2017, 11:09 PM   #1
RickNY

Problems receiving email from Allstate

I've received a notification from Allstate that email they have sent to me has been returned as undeliverable.. I think I had this issues several years ago with Allstate, and it was related to one of their servers possibly being blacklisted in a few places - but I cant be certain.. I have two IP addresses from emails I have received from them fairly recently, and I checked those against a couple of blacklist checks.. Additionally, I've checked them against Trend Micro's email reputation score, and all of the IPs used in the past have come up from Trend as "Bad".

I've sent them a message asking them to check to make sure their mail servers aren't blacklisted, and if so, to try and clean up the issues that are causing that... But I suspect that will fall on deaf ears, and they will just tell me its my problem. The issue is if they try and send again and it gets returned, they'll drop the discount I receive for receiving my policy communications electronically.

I'm using a custom sieve script... Is there a way I can make sure that email is not automatically being discarded and instead just have it dumped into my Spam folder? Are there blacklisted senders that Fastmail will discard anyway, before they even hit the Sieve script?
RickNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Jan 2017, 11:39 PM   #2
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
I'm using a custom sieve script... Is there a way I can make sure that email is not automatically being discarded and instead just have it dumped into my Spam folder? Are there blacklisted senders that Fastmail will discard anyway, before they even hit the Sieve script?
Based on what you've explained, I don't see any way it can be your sieve script — Allstate is telling you that they're getting undeliverable notifications, which means that in the very least FastMail is rejecting the messages before they even get to your mailbox. Since FastMail doesn't support the "reject" Sieve extension, there's no way you could even have this working anywhere in your script. A "discard" Sieve directive would silently throw the message away and Allstate would never hear about it.

I'd recommend opening a ticket with FastMail support to see if they can investigate further on their end. While FastMail may not be able to solve the issue for you, they can at least help you diagnose the problem, and if they tell you outright that they're rejecting e-mails from Allstate because they're on a blacklist, at least you'll have something to go back to Allstate with.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2017, 02:14 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Apart from the good advice above, do ensure the sending address is in your address book. It is possible (albeit unlikely) that AllState's end is misinterpreting greylisting as a permanent error. If so, whitelisting the address by including it in your address book would help, and is good for general spam filtering anyway.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2017, 02:18 AM   #4
RickNY

Thanks.. I opened a ticket with FM and they've asked for some additional info.. I do have them in my Whitelist as a contact -- with wildcards as well *@*.allstate.com and *@allstate.com
RickNY is offline   Reply With Quote