EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 Sep 2003, 10:34 AM   #1
jshumway

Spam filtering problem

Hello All,

I am having some trouble filtering certain types of spam. These spams appear to be aimed specifically at the Fastmail realm and contain common names in the address list.

I have the reject filter set as:

header :contains ["X-Spam"] "high"

And the Junk Mail folder rule:

header :contains ["X-Spam"] "spam"

and my filtering option is set to Aggressive - (5), but yet things like this are getting through:

X-Spam-score: 19.6
X-Spam-hits: DATE_IN_PAST_03_06, FORGED_MUA_EUDORA, FOR_FREE, HTML_10_20, HTML_MESSAGE, MIME_HTML_NO_CHARSET, MIME_HTML_ONLY, MISSING_MIMEOLE, MISSING_OUTLOOK_NAME, RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET, RCVD_IN_NJABL, RCVD_IN_RFCI, RCVD_IN_UNCONFIRMED_DSBL, SORTED_RECIPS, SUBJ_HAS_SPACES, UPPERCASE_25_50, X_PRIORITY_HIGH

I has a 19.6 score and is definitely spam, but there is no X-Spam header. Only the two that I have listed.

Does anyone have any cleaver solutions to help me get rid of these annoying emails? I receive about 10 a day. It was much higher, but most of them were addressed to my username at Inbox.com. I have set that to reject and the email count has gone down.

Thanks
jshumway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Sep 2003, 05:42 PM   #2
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Spam filtering problem

Quote:
Originally posted by jshumway
...and my filtering option is set to Aggressive - (5), but yet things like this are getting through:
Probably the same message was also sent to another fastmail user that chose a less aggressive threshhold. The X-spam header field is set according to highest threshold of all FM users receiving the same message.

The solution is to filter spam using spam-score directly. FastMail has announced today that a new type of rule for easier spam handling will be available soon, soo you might as well wait a few weeks instead of trying to learn to filter by numeric comparisons to spam-score...
hadaso is online now   Reply With Quote