EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Sep 2013, 06:48 AM   #1
bschelle

Trash Folder Empties by itself

My trash folder empties without any commands from me. What am I doing to cause this?
bschelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Sep 2013, 07:02 AM   #2
EdinwolfPA
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschelle View Post
My trash folder empties without any commands from me. What am I doing to cause this?
Hello,

Your Trash folder may be set to auto-purge after so many days.

Check your folder properties via the Settings menu.

David
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Codr

I still have this issue

I too have experienced this issue. A check of the "auto-purge" settings confirms that the Trash folder is set to "do not auto-purge". Any ideas what might be happening here?
Codr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2013, 02:55 PM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Are you talking about the FastMail Web interface?

Do you use any other method (smartphone e-mail client etc) to access your e-mails?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Codr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Are you talking about the FastMail Web interface?

Do you use any other method (smartphone e-mail client etc) to access your e-mails?
I access my e-mail on both my desktop (Outlook 2013) and smartphone (Samsung e-mail client). However, in both cases, I followed Fastmail's own directions in setting up the clients and thought that would include respect for auto-purge preferences and moving deleted messages to the Trash.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 05:00 PM   #6
misc
Essential Contributor

Hi Codr,

it could be possible that one of your mail clients has set an option to delete mails in trash folder after a certain period of time. Some clients' default settings are like this.

Did you find out in which case your mails are lost? Are they always gone when you access your account with either Outlook or your Samsung mail client?
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2013, 11:52 PM   #7
Codr

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
Hi Codr,

it could be possible that one of your mail clients has set an option to delete mails in trash folder after a certain period of time. Some clients' default settings are like this.

Did you find out in which case your mails are lost? Are they always gone when you access your account with either Outlook or your Samsung mail client?
Good suggestions.

Digging through the Samsung mail client's settings yielded no options to control where the deleted items go in relation to Fastmail folders nor was there any mention of a period after which the mail would be deleted automatically.

As for Outlook, I made some changes to it's purge and auto-archive behavior that I think might help the situation. Researching this issue elsewhere revealed that this behavior with regard to IMAP Trash folders is a problem with Outlook 2013 and a downgrade from Outlook 2010.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Heartz
Essential Contributor

Check your IPAD. IOS has an auto purge function. Deleted years of my trash before I noticed it.
Heartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2013, 01:08 AM   #9
Codr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartz View Post
Check your IPAD. IOS has an auto purge function. Deleted years of my trash before I noticed it.
I think this was the case. I discovered that an old iPod Touch had been set-up with Fastmail access and the auto-purge function was active on the account. I can't be sure until a bit more time has passed recent changes I made to Outlook and Apple Mail's settings suggest that this problem might be solved.