EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Nov 2012, 06:57 AM   #1
drleper

Thumbs up New interface kudos

Hi, just wanted to congratulate the devs on the new FastMail interface, I find it to be quick, simple, and useful. I recently switched from Gmail (brought over my domains too), and the web UI performance difference on Firefox for Mac is very noticeable. IMAP is implemented nicely and works correctly without too much tweaking, it's great.

I'd looked at FastMail before, but I didn't like the old interface as it seemed too slow and clunky (e.g. just opening an email caused a page reload), had no conversations, couldn't drag/drop attachments, and so on. The current interface really does feel very fast, so for me it lives up to the FastMail name
drleper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Nov 2012, 04:09 PM   #2
NJSS
Master of the @

drleper

Welcome - I can't say that I agree with you, but welcome anyway.

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Same here......it's something that should be free now it has so many features missing.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2012, 06:24 PM   #4
gjdev

Agree with the OP: the new interface is nice. I do miss some features that I hope will be added soon. But I like the responsiveness and overall feel of the new UI better than the old.
gjdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by drleper View Post
Hi, just wanted to congratulate the devs on the new FastMail interface, I find it to be quick, simple, and useful. I recently switched from Gmail (brought over my domains too), and the web UI performance difference on Firefox for Mac is very noticeable. IMAP is implemented nicely and works correctly without too much tweaking, it's great.

I'd looked at FastMail before, but I didn't like the old interface as it seemed too slow and clunky (e.g. just opening an email caused a page reload), had no conversations, couldn't drag/drop attachments, and so on. The current interface really does feel very fast, so for me it lives up to the FastMail name
brong, is that you?

hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2012, 06:44 PM   #6
drleper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Same here......it's something that should be free now it has so many features missing.
Yeah, I see from the posts here that a lot of features from the old interface are no longer available. For me the value is in having reliable email that is cross platform (e.g. proper IMAP implementation and not pushing you towards a particular browser), where I can use my own domains, and where I am a customer instead of being part of the product. So I'm happy to pay for that.

Hopefully the FastMail devs sort out the issues that have come up though. It seems they want the new interface to be simple, so perhaps the (new) classic interface is where they should bring back those old features (or make them optional across both). Although they probably should have done that in the first place!
Old 15 Nov 2012, 06:46 PM   #7
drleper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
brong, is that you?

No, what makes you say that??

Old 15 Nov 2012, 08:41 PM   #8
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by drleper View Post
. I recently switched from Gmail (brought over my domains too)
What made you switch from Gmail to (new) FM? Could you list FM's advantages over Gmail?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2012, 09:02 PM   #9
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
What made you switch from Gmail to (new) FM? Could you list FM's advantages over Gmail?

You talk like the backend is not available at all anymore. Does Gmail have the choice of a tidy clean or advanced full-featured interface, both of which work with one of the most robust backend email servers available for personal accounts?

Gmail offers integration into Android, that is the only advantage I see.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2012, 09:14 PM   #10
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Gmail offers integration into Android, that is the only advantage I see.
Fine. But I still wonder why the OP's decided to switch.

The general tone of this forum has recently been that the new interface is a total disaster and one should drop FM asap and move elsewhere (e.g. to Gmail). I would like to know (just curious...) why somebody moved in the opposite direction.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2012, 11:03 AM   #11
drleper

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Fine. But I still wonder why the OP's decided to switch.

The general tone of this forum has recently been that the new interface is a total disaster and one should drop FM asap and move elsewhere (e.g. to Gmail). I would like to know (just curious...) why somebody moved in the opposite direction.
Yeah, that's the tone of the forum, but then there's probably a bunch of advanced email users on here, of which I am not one. If people are paying for something and it suddenly can't do what they want, then they have a fair reason to be upset. I think all those missing features should at a minimum have been included in the classic interface. For me though, I use email with a couple of my own domains, with a bunch of different identities for personal and work uses, and that's about it. The new interface is fast to use (faster than gmail), looks good, so it works well for me.

I think the current trend for big IT corporations is to build walled gardens, and while Google is the most open of them, I feel they aren't serious enough about supporting all browsers (e.g. they would prefer you to use Chrome). Specifically, the Gmail web interface is really slow on Firefox for Mac (and has been for ages), it's linking in with Google+ (which I don't use), and their IMAP implementation is odd (perhaps due to labels).

For me the FastMail web UI is fast and clean, does everything I need, and I can connect through IMAP on whatever platform without any weirdness (so it's not even necessary to use the web UI). Anyway, I think the nice web interface combined with the ability to point my domains at FastMail, create a bunch of identities/personalities, and also not have my data mined is worth $40/year.
Old 16 Nov 2012, 11:43 AM   #12
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

You should try the classic with your own custom css which wont work in the new U.I then you will see what a lot of people are complaining about. For me the new U.I is a bit Nerdy and I don't want to use it.

Also some of us had a simple log in screen but they disabled that so it will no longer work.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2012, 03:16 PM   #13
drleper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
You should try the classic with your own custom css which wont work in the new U.I then you will see what a lot of people are complaining about. For me the new U.I is a bit Nerdy and I don't want to use it.

Also some of us had a simple log in screen but they disabled that so it will no longer work.
Yes, I don't think they should have disabled any functionality for paying customers. Just out of interest, why would someone want to create custom CSS for the web UI?
Old 16 Nov 2012, 03:33 PM   #14
David
Ultimate Contributor

The new UI looks almost identical to to Outlook.com (which is the the replacement for Hotmail.com) but is much more feature full (than the new UI) so I am wondering why anyone would buy it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2012, 11:25 PM   #15
thymara

the fact that they look the same in no way means they function the same.
thymara is offline   Reply With Quote