EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Apr 2013, 01:49 PM   #1
pomj

back to fastmail

Well I'm back to fastmail after a few years with gmail, and boy is it a relieve.

I always use the webinterface and I really like the new interface. Stunningly fast, both in load time and operation.
The new search is the best I've came across and the dropbox integration really useful.

cheers
pomj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Apr 2013, 02:14 PM   #2
petergh
Master of the @

Welcome back. I'm just curious: why was it such a relieve?
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2013, 02:06 PM   #3
pomj

Maybe it was too strong or wrong words but that was what I felt.

I use webmail 100% of the time. During the years I've been using several mail services. I liked fastmail a lot and then came gmail. With a very good modern webinterface.
However the development there has changed it. I is now slower more cumbersome to use. I started to look around again and tested once more fastmail.

Except for some missing functions (from the old interface) I think they have created a modern looking and feeling interface that is very fast and responsive. So I merely wanted to express my satisfaction for the service
pomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2013, 11:44 PM   #4
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomj View Post
Maybe it was too strong or wrong words but that was what I felt.

I use webmail 100% of the time. During the years I've been using several mail services. I liked fastmail a lot and then came gmail. With a very good modern webinterface.
However the development there has changed it. I is now slower more cumbersome to use. I started to look around again and tested once more fastmail.

Except for some missing functions (from the old interface) I think they have created a modern looking and feeling interface that is very fast and responsive. So I merely wanted to express my satisfaction for the service
Welcome back!
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2013, 05:41 PM   #5
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Welcome back!

I "left" Fastmail twice in the last 5 years, once because of a period of constant downtime (shortly after the Opera acquisition) and once because I just wanted to try another service. Came back both times. Last time I came back, I renewed my account for 3 more years. Can't be happier.

My usage pattern is completely the opposite of OP. I use IMAP clients on my PC and phone all the time, and only use the webmail to change account settings from time to time. Couldn't care less about the webmail switchover.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Cblane2009

I couldn't agre more!

I too left Fastmail twice briefly in the last couple of months. I was "lured" away by the cute and mainstream! I learned my lesson, there is not a better email service than Fastmail. I am new here and this is my first post. I have monitored EmailDiscussions for about a year.
Cblane2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2013, 12:11 PM   #7
ReuvenNY

I guess I am one of those never left FM - 11 years now. I only use IMAP so the user interface is of no concern to me. What I like is it's speed and reliability.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2013, 08:16 PM   #8
B4its2L8
Master of the @

With all the discussion of 2FA these days, and Outlook.com's recent implementation of it, I'm just curious if FM is planning on having it, too. People paying for their email are certainly concerned about the security of it, and adding 2FA would increase the likelihood that some who have left FM (for whatever reasons) would be lured back with the promise of enhanced security.
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2013, 09:20 PM   #9
lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8 View Post
With all the discussion of 2FA these days, and Outlook.com's recent implementation of it, I'm just curious if FM is planning on having it, too. People paying for their email are certainly concerned about the security of it, and adding 2FA would increase the likelihood that some who have left FM (for whatever reasons) would be lured back with the promise of enhanced security.
Fastmail has something even better, in my opinion - I wish other mail services had it. They offer two valuable features. (a) You can have a (permanent) limited-access password for use on non-secure machines; if you sign in with this password, you cannot permanently delete email or change account properties, such as password. (b) You can print a list of one-time use passwords. I do this and keep it in my wallet. You add a memorized short preamble to a password from the list, and the result is a one-time use password which allows you full access, but is useless to anyone who obtains it say via a keylogger.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2013, 02:48 PM   #10
an3

Been with FM a bunch of years now, with no plans of moving. My favorite feature is being able to have an infinite number of email addresses, so I can give unique emails to each company I do business with. For example, if I'm signing up for a new account, I give them my email as <theirname.folder@myusername.domain.com>. The emails are filed into the appropriate folder, and I know who sent me what.
an3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2013, 04:29 PM   #11
kijinbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8
adding 2FA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane
Fastmail has something even better
Don't forget Yubikey. Just because it doesn't send SMS to your phone doesn't mean it's not 2FA.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2013, 01:38 PM   #12
b7j0c

same here. I've always let fastmail handle my MX records etc, but I admit I strayed to gmail as my "interface" for a few years via forwarding. I'm back now and I just love the new UI.
b7j0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2013, 11:27 PM   #13
Random832

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
Fastmail has something even better, in my opinion - I wish other mail services had it. They offer two valuable features. (a) You can have a (permanent) limited-access password for use on non-secure machines; if you sign in with this password, you cannot permanently delete email or change account properties, such as password. (b) You can print a list of one-time use passwords. I do this and keep it in my wallet. You add a memorized short preamble to a password from the list, and the result is a one-time use password which allows you full access, but is useless to anyone who obtains it say via a keylogger.
Is there a good guide to this feature? Does it work at the IMAP level or is it a webmail feature? What exactly does it mean by "cannot permanently delete" - will this result in "ghost copies" when moving mail between folders, or is moving prevented as well?
Random832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2013, 11:42 PM   #14
lane

A good guide would be to read the Fastmail help on the feature. See this link:
https://www.fastmail.fm/help/feature...ve_logins.html

A limited use password does allow you to move email, or to delete it (to the Trash folder), but does not allow you to permanently delete it (remove from Trash folder, or empty the Trash folder). It does not allow you access to many of the settings.

I have only used these things in the web interface, but the help mentions IMAP as well.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2013, 05:26 AM   #15
Random832

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
A good guide would be to read the Fastmail help on the feature. See this link:
https://www.fastmail.fm/help/feature...ve_logins.html

A limited use password does allow you to move email, or to delete it (to the Trash folder), but does not allow you to permanently delete it (remove from Trash folder, or empty the Trash folder). It does not allow you access to many of the settings.

I have only used these things in the web interface, but the help mentions IMAP as well.
I can't get this to work over IMAP.
Random832 is offline   Reply With Quote