EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Nov 2012, 02:10 PM   #1
shankargopal

What happens if one downgrades from Ad Free now?

HI all, I have an Ad Free account with Fastmail which is going to be up for renewal in about two weeks' time. Earlier, in my understanding, non-renewal would have led to a fall back to the Guest service level. That's also what my Billing screen continues to say. But this blog post from Fastmail says "we are discontinuing sign-ups *and downgrades* to the Guest service level."

So what will happen if I fail to renew? Will my account simply be deactivated?

And if it does fallback to Guest, where can I find out what facilities are available to Guest level users? Information on that no longer appears anywhere on the site. Thanks a lot!
shankargopal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Nov 2012, 03:09 PM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

You lose the account - cannot downgrade to guest.

Open a myopera mail account instead.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2012, 03:15 PM   #3
shankargopal

Ok thanks. For me, the real issue is keeping the email address. I could of course switch to myopera.com, but for that I might as well just switch to gmail or any of the other free services that offer more.

As I live and earn as an activist in India, the minimum $10 recharge for fastmail is expensive. Clearly I have to take a call on that soon, then. How sad. I miss Fastmail the way it was when I signed up...
shankargopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2012, 03:43 PM   #4
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankargopal View Post
Ok thanks. For me, the real issue is keeping the email address. I could of course switch to myopera.com, but for that I might as well just switch to gmail or any of the other free services that offer more.

As I live and earn as an activist in India, the minimum $10 recharge for fastmail is expensive. Clearly I have to take a call on that soon, then. How sad. I miss Fastmail the way it was when I signed up...
Yeh...when $ converted into INR, its a surprise!
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2012, 02:42 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

On an Ad Free account I have, the Account > Account Settings screen shows that the Fallback Service Level is still Guest. So you might want to check that screen, and maybe your account will switch to Guest when your subscription runs out.

I know that the Fastmail blog states that you can't downgrade to Guest, but I can't find any reference to Fastmail changing the fallback account level for existing accounts. Hopefully a Fastmail staff member will clear this up.

The title of this thread confuses matters, since you really don't want to downgrade (which is a choice in the menus) -- you just want to fall back.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2012, 05:00 AM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I could of course switch to myopera.com, but for that I might as well just switch to gmail or any of the other free services that offer more.
I suggested myopera because it is basically the same engine under the hood, if you're happy with FastMail but don't want to pay the renewal.

You could open a myopera account, then add your FastMail e-mail address to that, and send from there also, using your existing FastMail address.

If you are allowed to fall back to guest at Fastmail, you could use both that account and the myopera one to store your e-mails.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2012, 05:04 AM   #7
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
On an Ad Free account I have, the Account > Account Settings screen shows that the Fallback Service Level is still Guest. So you might want to check that screen, and maybe your account will switch to Guest when your subscription runs out.

I know that the Fastmail blog states that you can't downgrade to Guest, but I can't find any reference to Fastmail changing the fallback account level for existing accounts. Hopefully a Fastmail staff member will clear this up.

The title of this thread confuses matters, since you really don't want to downgrade (which is a choice in the menus) -- you just want to fall back.

Bill
Bill I do hope you are right but for to save shankargopal
the sadness of losing his user name I would prefer that
we have that from somebody authorised to answer such
questions.

shankargopal I Hope you can find some official answer to it.
So try to make some staff care about your predicament.
Some of them do look into the forum so like Bill I also
hope that they can take time and give us an answer we can trust.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2013, 03:46 AM   #8
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Bumping this thread to get answer from any representatives.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 04:25 AM   #9
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
the minimum $10 recharge for fastmail is expensive.
Ad-free account is $4.95 per annum
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2013, 03:25 AM   #10
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
What is supposed to happen is that if an account is not renewed, it will be deleted after about a week. So, if you would like to keep the account, you must renew it before it gets deleted.
kurianja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2013, 04:10 AM   #11
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurianja View Post
What is supposed to happen is that if an account is not renewed, it will be deleted after about a week. So, if you would like to keep the account, you must renew it before it gets deleted.
Then why it is showing 'Guest' as fallback mode?
I've signed up for FULL trial, and having a similar story of OP.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 07:08 PM   #12
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I think we missed to update that screen. I've pushed a change to fix the display. Should be live in a week or so.
kurianja is offline   Reply With Quote