EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 14 Sep 2014, 07:21 PM   #1
dosenboden

Trying to delete POP3 from Gmail :-(

Hello everyone on this forum

I'm having a mayor mail issue here.....

Here's the situation:

I have taken over a small rental business.... The website has three POP3 mailadresses. The previous owner had those adresses forwarded to his Gmail account.

I, now, also had the three adresses forwarded to my Gmail account.

But not all emails arrive in my account (luckily, the previous owner is forwarding everything to me as a back-up).

When I checked the webmail place, all inboxes where empty, so someone's mail is taking mails out without leaving a copy on the server.....

Ok... so far so bad. We tried everything in both our Gmail accounts, settings wise.

Finally the previous owner deleted all three POP3 adresses from his Gmail account but....... He STILL receives all the mails??????? (and I still am missing important mails!)

Question: How does someone delete mailaccounts from other sources in Gmail? What could be the problem here.... HELP?

Hope someone responds..

Kind regards

Doos
dosenboden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Sep 2014, 11:53 PM   #2
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosenboden View Post
Hello everyone on this forum

When I checked the webmail place, all inboxes where empty, so someone's mail is taking mails out without leaving a copy on the server.....

Finally the previous owner deleted all three POP3 adresses from his Gmail account but....... He STILL receives all the mails??????? (and I still am missing important mails!)

Question: How does someone delete mailaccounts from other sources in Gmail? What could be the problem here.... HELP?
If there's any other way to stop collecting mail through Gmail from other email account(s) via POP3 other than the documented way, which I gather has already been done, I'm personally unaware of it.

So, while I don't believe you've said what the "other" ("original") mail service is, as different email services often offer different features, I think the next thing I would look for would be to see if the mail is automatically being forwarded from the other email service, and then being deleted from there, rather than (or, originally, in addition to) being collected by Gmail from Gmail's end. That is, it sounds like the "operation" could have been set up from the "original" email end rather than (or in addition to) the Gmail end. (If that was the case, Gmail would still show only one copy of each email, instead of two, since Gmail always stores only one copy of each email, regardless of how many copies it may receive.)
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2014, 12:04 AM   #3
petergh
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosenboden View Post
If this is really what is happening, you can just change the Gmail password. That will immediately shut off access to the account for any current POP3 clients that may be polling it.
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2014, 02:16 AM   #4
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes, excellent idea. Instead of (or in addition to trying to figure out what else, if anything, is going on), change the password of the "original" account and only provide the new correct password to whichever account(s) you actually want to have collecting its messages. That should resolve the problem.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2014, 02:43 AM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

The OP has "taken over" a business - does he/she have control of the website - at registrar level?

If yes, go to the registrar and cut out the existing settings and set up (mail forwarding, etc) anew.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote