EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Mar 2019, 02:18 AM   #1
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Reply @%$^& From the Default, Please

I don't know if the blame is on Apple or Fastmail. or both, but the mistakes made in replying from the wrong address are really aggravating. I use a .com alias as my default for everything, since the .fm has confused everyone since forever. Maybe that's why? But I get a lot of emails sent to username@alias.com where I reply, and Apple/iPhone app and the fastmail app will reply from a gmail address. I do have my default set on my phone, and I do have "Reply from the same account the message was sent to" checked in settings, but for whatever reason, I accidentally reply from my gmail account about 500 times a day.

Help?! I have become one of those annoying people who seems to be constantly changing email addresses, when in reality I've been right here at fastmail since 2002. My colleagues now send three copies of emails to fastmail.fm. alias.com, and gmail because they don't know which address I'm using.

Thanks.
SamVilde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Mar 2019, 02:36 AM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Does this help, from the FastMail aspect, in the web interface:

Settings
Identities & Fetch

Scroll down to:

Compose new messages from XXXX by default.

Check/Tick box: Force all emails I send through 3rd party email clients to come from this address.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2019, 02:52 AM   #3
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Thank you for your response. I just ticked it and am trying to diagnose if it's better in the fastmail app. The problem is only with replies - not with composing new emails - but I'll see if it helps. Worth a shot.

Seems to definitely not help with the mail app on the iPhone.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 08:26 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamVilde View Post
...but for whatever reason, I accidentally reply from my gmail account about 500 times a day...
I’m trying to interpret this comment. Is the message being sent by the Gmail servers (which is where your “gmail account” is hosted)? Or do you just mean that the From address is a Gmail address, but the message is being sent by the Fastmail iOS app through the Fastmail outgoing servers, and the only problem is the From is incorrect? My guess is the last of these.

If a message is being generated by the Fastmail iOS app with a Gmail From address, then one of several things might be happening.
  • Folder properties: In the Advanced properties for a Folder at your Fastmail account, you can specify the From address to be used when you reply to a message which was delivered to that folder. You might have used a Gmail identity and be in that folder when replying.
  • The sender might have sent the email to both your Fastmail and Gmail address. If you have an Identity which uses that same Gmail address, Fastmail doesn’t know which identity to use in the reply. So you should remove the Gmail Identity to prevent it from being accidentally chosen.
  • If you have messages fetched via POP3 from another email system which contains messages sent to your Gmail address, then that Gmail address might be used for From.
Bill
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2019, 04:52 PM   #5
gj15

This could be the obscure iOS feature of being able to associate more than one SMTP server with an email account.

On an iPhone with iOS 12.1.4 follow Settings > Password & Accounts > [Fastmail account] > Account > SMTP to see what servers are registered. Ensure the Fastmail SMTP server is “On” and “Primary” and all other SMTP servers are Off for this account. Then “Done” all the way out and test.
gj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2019, 08:05 AM   #6
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I’m trying to interpret this comment. Is the message being sent by the Gmail servers (which is where your “gmail account” is hosted)? Or do you just mean that the From address is a Gmail address, but the message is being sent by the Fastmail iOS app through the Fastmail outgoing servers, and the only problem is the From is incorrect? My guess is the last of these.

If a message is being generated by the Fastmail iOS app with a Gmail From address, then one of several things might be happening.
  • Folder properties: In the Advanced properties for a Folder at your Fastmail account, you can specify the From address to be used when you reply to a message which was delivered to that folder. You might have used a Gmail identity and be in that folder when replying.
  • The sender might have sent the email to both your Fastmail and Gmail address. If you have an Identity which uses that same Gmail address, Fastmail doesn’t know which identity to use in the reply. So you should remove the Gmail Identity to prevent it from being accidentally chosen.
  • If you have messages fetched via POP3 from another email system which contains messages sent to your Gmail address, then that Gmail address might be used for From.
Bill
I'm not sure which server is sending it (I think fastmail)., but from both my iPhone and the fastmail app - sometimes when I hit "reply" on an email, I don't pay attention to return address that is listed for me. Later, I'll get a reply back from the contact sent to my gmail address - and see that when they hit reply, it replied to gmail. My fault for not noticing, I guess - but I use my gmail address to originate messages almost never.

This is for mail coming into my inbox, sent to an alias of fastmail, sent only to that alias.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 08:40 AM   #7
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

@FredOnline's suggestion seemed to work within the fastmail app. I then went and deleted all alternate addresses and aliased from my phone - some support message board said apple sometimes gets confused and deleting and rewriting those options can work. I'm leaving them out until I need them - so until I need them back, won't be able to test other solutions.

Thanks for the ideas!