EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 6 Jun 2003, 09:43 AM   #16
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by Malc 44
Now why would you say that?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Killer
I guess that guy who quote that was from the UK??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malc

Dr Who was made in UK isn't it? But I had to agree at that time Dr Who is one of the best show.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2003, 04:51 PM   #17
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Dr Who was made in UK isn't it? But I had to agree at that time Dr Who is one of the best show.
Yea it was Killer, I remember as a kid hiding behind the sofa when the scary bits came on! yet it all seems so corny when you see the old clips now.

Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2003, 07:00 PM   #18
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by Malc 44
Yea it was Killer, I remember as a kid hiding behind the sofa when the scary bits came on! yet it all seems so corny when you see the old clips now.

Malc

Yup, corny but classic. They should remake it now that they have special effect technology to enhance the show.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 09:44 PM   #19
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Gankaku
Big ST fan that I am, I honestly say I have to agree with this. Sometimes it seems they're running out of ideas.
A universe without Star Trek being made - unthinkable!

I think though they should take time to explore the Trek universe from a different perspective. Either focussing on an alien species or else following the fortunes of non-officer, non-star fleet characters. How about a series based on Bajor following a resistance cell during the Cardasian occupation? There's thousands of other possible scenarios.
redmyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2003, 11:03 PM   #20
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
If you ever play the star trek games such as Star Trek Armada and Bridge Commander they have a better storyline / plot. I find the TV show too much characters interactions. Even the comics were sometimes better.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 09:23 AM   #21
Gankaku

What about one based on Starfleet Academy? There were rumors about that before Enterprise came on.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2003, 10:25 AM   #22
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
I haven't play the game "Starfleet Academy". That was an oldie but classic. To my understanding that game is around the Star Trek era where the people wears the red uniform (like Star Trek TOS movies). You get to train to be a crewman to rise to the rank of captain. Get to fight the simulation the what the name that only Captain Kirk complete it with a bit of cheating.

But the starships and aliens are the older and the boring types like Klingons and Vulcans and probably some lesser known...
Old 7 Jun 2003, 10:56 AM   #23
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Quote:
... Get to fight the simulation the what the name that only Captain Kirk complete it with a bit of cheating. ...
It was the Kobayashi Maru strategy test. Kirk won the unwinnable scenario by reprogramming it so it could be won!
redmyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2003, 02:17 PM   #24
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by redmyrlin
It was the Kobayashi Maru strategy test. Kirk won the unwinnable scenario by reprogramming it so it could be won!
You must be a true Star Trek fan! Don't think even an ordinary fan can remember that "Japanese" sounding name.

To my knowledge, I read a Star Trek novel, perhaps tha novel is written based on the TV plot. I remembers there is this character that temporary takes over as number 1 (Riker was on leave I guess but actually he was trapped on a planet?) and also Picard was told that he actually is the first and only person (probably only person during that TNG era) to pass the Kobayashi Maru test without any cheating.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 09:26 PM   #25
Gankaku

Talking FUNNNNNNNNNY

You will love this

Top 10 Things I Hate About Star Trek

Also some of the other articles are funny too.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2003, 02:58 AM   #26
[email protected]
The "e" in e-mail

Question Kobayashi Maru?

Could someone (one of EMD's Japanese members?) explain Kobayashi Maru?  I know from other sources (such as the Bermuda Triangle myth, which is probably the world's biggest and longest-sustained hoax) that 'Maru' probably means 'ship' or 'sea' or something like that...

Incidentally, there was released for the Sinclair ZX-Spectrum a game called Kobyashi Naru, in which the object was to attain Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding by (as usual) killing things, basically...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2003, 10:59 AM   #27
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Re: Kobayashi Maru?

Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
Could someone (one of EMD's Japanese members?) explain Kobayashi Maru?  I know from other sources (such as the Bermuda Triangle myth, which is probably the world's biggest and longest-sustained hoax) that 'Maru' probably means 'ship' or 'sea' or something like that...
I don't think the Star Trek producers would have any meaning on that name. It would probably be a name and nothing else.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 01:18 AM   #28
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
I guess that guy who quote that was from the UK??
Dear Killer,

Nope, Harlan Ellison was born in Cleveland, Ohio, and has lived in the U.S. all his life, AFAIK. He's a science fiction writer who mostly writes for TV, although he's done other stuff. He's also known for his "strong opinions," LOL.

[email protected],

The "Kobayashi Maru" was the name of the other ship in the simulation. (A freighter, I think.) The idea was that you couldn't save the ship from the Klingons. Capt. Kirk's nephew Peter Kirk did it in one of the novels, though: He offered to fight the Klingon commander to the death if he'd let the ship go. He was the only person to ever beat the simulation honestly. ("Honorably," as the Klingons would say.)

That said, here's my take: I mostly liked the original series. Next Generation was unwatchable for the first season and part of the second. DS9 was quite good. Voyager was adequate, although it went downhill when they started focusing on Geri Ryan's (7 of 9's) "babe" status.

The first season of Enterprise was disappointing and the next was more so. The local UPN affiliate is channel 46, which we don't receive well here at home, and we don't have cable. Again, the emphasis on Jolene Blalock (T'Pol) is a wrong turn, IMHO. The show is written by hacks who don't care, and they think they can fix it by putting Jolene Blalock in a tighter catsuit. Gimme a break.

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2003, 04:56 PM   #29
dragon1

I loved the original Star Trek series so much that I felt TNG couldn't hold up to ST:TOS, until I met a diehard fan (my boss: made one room in her house dedicated to ST).

Then I started watching it and taping the episodes, some a few times over. Had to wait for reruns to watch and tape the previous seasons missed.

DS9: Much darker than TNG but story lines were very good.

I watched Voyager and taped a few episodes, but my interest in it and the franchise starting waning. Couldn't stand the Kazon at all.

I try to catch Enterprise on Wednesday nights, but I haven't gotten into it yet. I guess I miss the crews of TNG and DS9.

Wondering when the DS9 crew will be in an ST movie.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2003, 02:39 AM   #30
Dave P in StLouis

Quote:
Originally posted by dragon1 Wondering when the DS9 crew will be in an ST movie.
Dear dragon1,

I doubt that will happen, given that Capt. Sisco went to live with the Prophets in the series finale, but it would definitely be fun to see some of the old gang again, perhaps in significant guest roles. Then again, it's already happened, since Worf (Michael Dorn) appeared in "First Contact," having been a cast member on DS9.

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote