EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:53 AM   #16
MikeL
Essential Contributor

While I'm here, I'd like to renew my suggestion of adding a little functionality to the "From" field. I do like the editable "From" field, and the Personalities. But I use many more addresses for various purposes than I have Personalities, and on replies, it would be nice if the "From" field would include the address to which the original was sent.

For example, if someone sends me mail at something@myuserid.fastmail.fm, I'd like to be able to select that after I click "Reply" (even better, make that the default). I don't need a full-blown Personality for most of what I do (moderate a lot of Diplomacy games, with a folder for each one, and a "From" address corresponding to the folder names), but being able to quickly select the right address without having to edit it would be nice.

-Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2002, 05:53 AM   #17
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Just a comment, in order to delete forever, this would be a two-step process:

1) You must delete the message from your inbox or other non-Trash folder.

- If this was an accidental deletion, one can go to trash and un-delete it (move it back).

2) You must delete forever somehow by clicking the empty link and/or selecting "delete permanently"

Therefore two steps must be made before the empty link cleans out the Trash folder.I think the best solution is an option in preferences. As William Shakespere said:
Quote:
William Shakespere said:

To warn or not to warn. That is the question.
For those who use the "empty" link on a frequent basis, this does add another step to the process.

There's good arguments on both sides of this equation as we all use email differently.
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2002, 11:45 AM   #18
sharu

thanx for the new changes, rob, especially the double-click functionality. i also like the little quota bars, but i always keep my folder tree folded up (i.e., as a bar on the top of the screen). any way the quota bars can be squeezed in under the minimized folder tree?

no big deal, though, it's just a suggestion. i haven't actually passed the 10% level yet, so i'm in no rush. ;)

oh, and as for the whole empty trash warning - well, to be honest, i haven't actually emptied my trash out yet. but unlike many, i *love* lots of prefs, so i say add one more on!
sharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2002, 11:59 AM   #19
fastmailer

Thumbs up Re: New server updates

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
[*]New quota bars showing how much mailbox space and bandwidth you have used are displayed just under the folder tree[*]Double clicking in the listbox on left side of the screen on the Addresses, Pop Links, Signatures, etc screens now selects the double clicked item (needs JS, IE 5+, NS 6+, O 5+)[*]Clicking on the [Empty] trash link now gives a warning dialog (need JS)
Great.

I love the bandwidth bar, and the Empty Trash warning. Always worried about clicking that buton instead of the Trash button next to it.

I don't understand the double clicking part. I don't see any difference and I am able to go to any of these screens with just one click from the buttons at the top.
fastmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:48 PM   #20
mail2me
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by esTester
I agree with fb19. Whenever I put something in the trash, I wouldn't care if it was gone forever. I empty trash a lot too and I love being able just to hit empty.
Why not always use "Delete permanetly". That way you you wouldn't even need to click on "Empty Trash" at all. Transferring messages to Trash Can is required only if you intend to retain those messages for some time in case you need to recover something later.
mail2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2002, 01:23 PM   #21
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by mail2me
Why not always use "Delete permanetly".
Because "Delete Permanently" is not a one-click process.

It started here:
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...&threadid=2289

But other relevent threads in concert with the above were heading towards the one-click process.

Yahoo and Hotmail also have empty trash with a single link and when they finally added the empty link, there was a lot of praise. I've never accidentally deleted trash. And even if I did, it's just trash.

What I really need is a single-click link that empties the trash in my kitchen.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 02:49 PM   #22
SanjaySheth
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by fb19
I've never accidentally deleted trash. And even if I did, it's just trash.
You've got to realize that you are not a very typical user. New users often hit things like the "Empty" link without realizing what they are doing. UI Design principles basically state that any action that cannot be reversed needs a confirmation dialog or an explicit option set somewhere to override. Users often "learn" how to use an interface by clicking and picking every button/link .. so any action that is irreversible and done without warning can cause major headaches both for the newbie user as well as the user-support team.

While the trash is just "trash" to you, to give another perspective on things, I often like to keep the trash for the past 2 weeks just in case something that I had marked for deletion is required again. If not, every so often I just delete all messages older than 10 days. I have hit the empty link on mistake a couple of times and gotten fairly ****** off (especially the one time when I accidentally hit the Delete Message link instead of the goto next message and then hit empty accidentally again meaning i could not even get to my message anymore).
SanjaySheth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2002, 03:07 PM   #23
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

I think many services view it differently.

I think that's why we even have a trash folder to begin with, in case something is accidentally deleted to begin with, it can be retrieved.

It's deleteing it the second time that can't be.

Most other web-based email services I'm familiar with have a single-click empty trash folder without an warning widow.

For example, Yahoo! Mail has empty trash links that work the same as before these updates.

Again, the only thing we're accomplishing here is that some people prefer the warning while others do not.

I've stated from the onset, and the question has been raised here by myself and others about making the warning an option to which the programmers have not responded to yet.

I don't think we need a poll on this one.

Jeremey or Rob - is it possible to set the warning window as an option or de-activate it for those of us that don't need a warning.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 03:46 PM   #24
Jessm
Essential Contributor

Re: Re: New server updates

Quote:
Originally posted by fastmailer
I love the bandwidth bar, and the Empty Trash warning. Always worried about clicking that buton instead of the Trash button next to it.
Thanks, Rob.

I, too, appreciate the Empty Trash warning. Once I clicked Empty by mistake and ... it sucked big time. The email I was looking for was gone for sure.

I *love* the bandwidth bar especially...

Good job!

Jessica
Jessm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2002, 10:55 PM   #25
Gankaku

I'm pretty careful but I dummy up stuff sometimes, I admit it...I accidentally deleted something the other day and was like WHOOPS gotta get it - then I went to click on Trash and almost clicked on Empty. If I'd have not caught myself my unread message would have been gone. So I'm glad for the warning message. However, I can see everyone wants it as an option.

I think it's fun to just click on Empty and see the stuff gone...but I'll be glad for the day when the error message asks me if I really want to delete before I delete that important unread message I didn't mean to send to the trash again...
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2002, 12:39 AM   #26
mail2me
Master of the @

Quote:
Yahoo and Hotmail also have empty trash with a single link and when they finally added the empty link, there was a lot of praise.
I just tried logging into my hotmail account via web interface after ages, possibly the first time after I discovered FastMail. Hotmail does give a warning when you click on "Empty Trash".

I now move all my incoming messages to a folder called "Received" to be on the safe side, but I know a lot of people who just deleted the incoming messages after reading and do appreciate the warning as provided by Hotmail (and possibly Yahoo too) as they have been used to previously. The "Trash" and "Empty" buttons are also too close to each other in FastMail which may cause a nearly unrecoverable (with the exception of the very expensive FM per user disaster recovery option) accidents to happen. The standard is to always dispaly a warning.

Once the automatic Trash Can disposal is in place at FM then nobody will ever need to click on the "Empty" button at all manually.
mail2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2002, 03:34 AM   #27
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

yes, I forgot to edit out hotmail. They do the warning on both the junk and trash folers. Yahoo has no warning.

Incidently, my mouse software has auto-jump, so the cursor goes right to the okay button, so, I can just click two times fast to delete trash.

(does "auto-jump" make sense to everyone? It's where the cursor will jump directly to the "ok" button so I don't need to move it there - essentially, click-and-click-again will delete trash)
Old 18 Sep 2002, 04:48 AM   #28
Roger_Cavanagh

Quote:
Incidently, my mouse software has auto-jump, so the cursor goes right to the okay button, so, I can just click two times fast to delete trash.

(does "auto-jump" make sense to everyone? It's where the cursor will jump directly to the "ok" button so I don't need to move it there - essentially, click-and-click-again will delete trash)
I've my system set-up the same. I'd still rather have the one-click empty trash. My view is that you shouldn't put stuff in the trash unless you want to trash it. If you want a safety net, create a "Pending" folder. But the point about the proximity of the trash folder and empty buttons is a valid one.

Regards,
Roger_Cavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2002, 06:01 AM   #29
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger_Cavanagh
I'd still rather have the one-click empty trash.
I agree. Again, I think these arguments of who prefers the warning vs. no warning is not productive here and can go on and on and on.

Question / Suggestion ( Click Here )

Is it possible to set the Empty Trash Warning as an option?

about 50% or so like it
about 50% or so don't like it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(This question can be answered by Fastmail staff)
Old 18 Sep 2002, 10:07 AM   #30
tenekun

I like the warning too. I cannot say it has helped me save any emails I needed, but it does give me an added level of security. Plus when I go to empty my trash, I can click "empty" then when the box comes up just push the space bar or teh enter key (whichever is closest to my fingers at that point). Since I almost always have one hand on the keyboard (or maybe very near it) it is trivial to push space or enter. Pine acts the same way (I now use it more than the web interface). You tell it to expunge messages and it asks to make sure first. I would just like to say:
Bravo!

--Brandon Siegel
tenekun is offline   Reply With Quote