EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 9 Jun 2012, 02:11 AM   #151
William9
The "e" in e-mail

This is one of the things that I like about LuxSci. It's vibrant and under continual develpment and optimization.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2012, 03:22 AM   #152
petergh
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmiller View Post
Hi folks, for those reporting LuxSci webmail speed concerns, you may be interested to know we just released some changes that should help speed up things particularly for large email folders...
I'm sorry to say this, but after opening ~50 messages of varying sizes in my inbox, I see absolutely no speed increase on average from my location. I have only 192 messages in my inbox, so it's not exactly a huge folder, but the blog post says I should still see a speed increase.
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2012, 12:20 AM   #153
alapzaj

In the meantime I've tried Zoho (Mail). It's like Google Apps - they have mail domain hosting up to 3 users free with 5Gb space each. They have SMTP, IMAP and POP3, all with SSL and a very nice and modern web interface. The apps portion includes calendar, contacts, notes, bookmarks, project management, word processor, spreadsheets, presentation maker, etc. It's a US based company, I think their servers are overseas, which makes the ajax-heavy web interface a bit slow.

I don't know whether there are any privacy-related concern about them รก la Google, but all the pros makes them a primary choice if Facebook takes over FM.

Last edited by alapzaj : 11 Jun 2012 at 02:49 AM.
alapzaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2012, 02:08 AM   #154
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergh View Post
I'm sorry to say this, but after opening ~50 messages of varying sizes in my inbox, I see absolutely no speed increase on average from my location. I have only 192 messages in my inbox, so it's not exactly a huge folder, but the blog post says I should still see a speed increase.
For what it's worth, I have noticed a difference. Sorry to hear you haven't seen a difference. Maybe I'm just having a great connection to them today (I'm also in the US so I'm sure that helps), and I can't say HOW much of a difference yet, but they seem to have done something positive. I also don't have big folders (in part because I reduced folder sizes due to how slow it was before), but I'll be watching more closely. But at least today, it does seem more spritely. Well done, LuxSci!
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2012, 01:26 PM   #155
the bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
I am trying out 01.com for Zimbra hosting. $59.99 per year, 1 month free trial. Apparently, 01.com is the largest zimbra hosting provider.

For myself, looking at ease of use, features available, value etc. this is the best choice yet.
Let me know how this works out for you; I'm thinking that this might be a great move esp since it has allows aliases (I have 6 domains with multiple accounts that come directly to me).
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2012, 09:16 PM   #156
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bishop View Post
Let me know how this works out for you; I'm thinking that this might be a great move esp since it has allows aliases (I have 6 domains with multiple accounts that come directly to me).
It is pretty good, I am going to buy a subscription to Zimbra and exchange 365 and use them both for a while... both of these push changes instead of having to wait for changes to sync up.

01.com lists an email address for getting support, but they actually have a support site you need to go to. They never replied to the email which caused initial frustration.

I have to say, I wish these services provided the support available through polarismail.

I am probably going to stay with fastmail for a while but I need push Calendar changes and unfortunately fastmail and polarismail enhanced don't provide this....

In the meantime, I am experimenting....
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2012, 09:24 PM   #157
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I am probably going to stay with fastmail for a while but I need push Calendar changes and unfortunately fastmail and polarismail enhanced don't provide this....

In the meantime, I am experimenting....

Polarismail Enhanced does provide push calendar changes via Activesync for mobile devices.
cptlo306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2012, 11:23 AM   #158
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptlo306 View Post
Polarismail Enhanced does provide push calendar changes via Activesync for mobile devices.
Yes, but only for mobile devices, not for desktops. In this day and age, I need updates to calendars pushed immediately across all devices / users.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 11:47 AM   #159
George_B

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
Quote:
Yes, but only for mobile devices, not for desktops. In this day and age, I need updates to calendars pushed immediately across all devices / users.
where do you need them pushed ? Outlook, Thunderbird or iCal ?
George_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2012, 03:02 PM   #160
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_B View Post
where do you need them pushed ? Outlook, Thunderbird or iCal ?
I use outlook.

I know you have exchange hosting as well.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 08:07 PM   #161
soromak

Quote:
I use outlook.

I know you have exchange hosting as well.
I was under the impression that you can get your calendars in Outlook synced through Atmail's Outlook plugin offered as a part of basic Polarismail account. I do not use Windows so can't check it for you, but see here
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2012, 08:44 PM   #162
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by soromak View Post
I was under the impression that you can get your calendars in Outlook synced through Atmail's Outlook plugin offered as a part of basic Polarismail account. I do not use Windows so can't check it for you, but see here
Ann initial read leads me to believe this is a scheduled sync, versus a push sync. Push sync changes happen instantaneously. Scheduled sync happens hourly or less. There are generally other issues with scheduled sync a well, usually the entire database on one side is compared to the database on the other side, which creates a very slow and bandwidth intensive, and resource intensive sync.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 10:42 PM   #163
George_B

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
Quote:
Ann initial read leads me to believe this is a scheduled sync, versus a push sync. Push sync changes happen instantaneously. Scheduled sync happens hourly or less. There are generally other issues with scheduled sync a well, usually the entire database on one side is compared to the database on the other side, which creates a very slow and bandwidth intensive, and resource intensive sync.
Besides Exchange, there is no 'true push' method for calendar/contact data. The Enhanced e-mail that you have does come with SyncML through Funambol which will sync up as often as you want.

Last edited by George_B : 12 Jun 2012 at 10:53 PM.
George_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2012, 12:41 AM   #164
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_B View Post
Besides Exchange, there is no 'true push' method for calendar/contact data. The Enhanced e-mail that you have does come with SyncML through Funambol which will sync up as often as you want.
George, I truly hope your email service succeeds. Your personal touch is a testament. I have been truly impressed.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 06:03 AM   #165
EvilPeppard
Essential Contributor

Quote:
George, I truly hope your email service succeeds. Your personal touch is a testament. I have been truly impressed.
QFT. I love the personal touch I get from George and the PolarisMail staff.
EvilPeppard is offline   Reply With Quote