EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

View Poll Results: Would you use a preview pane on the FM web interface?
Yes, most likely. 18 40.91%
No, probably not. 19 43.18%
I'd have to try it out first. 7 15.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Nov 2003, 08:25 AM   #1
joelpt
Essential Contributor

Lightbulb Preview Pane

How about a Preview Pane in the fastmail interface, similar to the Preview Pane now present in Outlook/OE/MozMail?

The upper half of the screen would be the regular FM interface, and the lower half (adjustable) could load the header/body of each message as it was clicked, with a minimal "action bar" to provide reply/forward/etc. functionality for the shown message.

Double-clicking a message link in the upper interface could open the message full-screen as is currently done with single-clicks. I believe double-click detection is a Javascript event that is well supported by the browsers.

Here's an imaginary screenshot!

http://www.bumpus.org/PreviewPaneMockup.gif

Joel
joelpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Nov 2003, 09:21 AM   #2
XB77
Essential Contributor

Frankly, I think that I read most of my e-mail on the preview window in OE. So yes.
XB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:05 PM   #3
claven

I'd definitely use the preview pane, particularly if the secure connection feature could be applied to it.

By the way, doesn't this feature already exist in a modified form? If I go to the folders screen, I can set the folder options so that I can get a little bit of a preview. I don't use it because it's a distraction from the straight list, but I have friends who really like the folder preview option!
claven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:17 PM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Regarding the preview pane in Outlook.. I used this for many years and thought it to be a great feature... But the current fastmail setup that allows you to view an mail in its entirety, and then view another mail (while moving the previous mail to a different folder) with one single mouse click, allows one to process email faster... So I voted NO
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2003, 04:24 PM   #5
AndreasM

I think, this to be a great advantage in "flying over" the mails!

--
A.
AndreasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2003, 08:01 PM   #6
Gankaku

If it was an option, it would be ok. However, I wouldn't like this with Fastmail. I use a preview pane in Junglemate and Fusemail. I have to play with resizing the pane during some emails, and you have to scroll lots in that little pane to read your message. Even though I can use it (and actually like using my Junglemate email with the pane), I wouldn't like it with my Fastmail because I truly love the interface as it is now, and I get so many messages at my FM account that it'd be a pain with the pane.

Just my 2cents.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2003, 08:17 PM   #7
mwild

I'd vote against a preview pane. But (mainly for those of us with large screens) it would be nice to have some multiline preview options in the folder settings, eg "unread 2 lines", "unread 3 lines".
mwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2003, 02:31 AM   #8
joelpt
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by David
But the current fastmail setup that allows you to view an mail in its entirety, and then view another mail (while moving the previous mail to a different folder) with one single mouse click, allows one to process email faster
That's true, but I don't often find myself using this because I don't typically read my emails in sequential order. I think the key advantage (for me) of a preview pane is that the message list page would be present at all times, and I wouldn't have to constantly be jumping back-and-forth between the message list and message view pages (and waiting through the corresponding load times) caused by my erratic message-reading order.

If this were added I certainly think it should be an option; nobody should be forced to use it, especially if they are satisfied with the current way the FM interface works.

It would also be pretty cool if FM could remember where you had positioned the frame divider-bar for your next session; it seems like it could be done with a little Javascript magic and a cookie (a cookie would be preferable as it would tie the position to a specific machine).

Joel
joelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2003, 04:58 PM   #9
dougweller

Quote:
Originally posted by mwild
I'd vote against a preview pane. But (mainly for those of us with large screens) it would be nice to have some multiline preview options in the folder settings, eg "unread 2 lines", "unread 3 lines".
Agreed.

Doug
dougweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2003, 04:33 AM   #10
anj
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by mwild
There are some options like this. If you go to Options then Folders, you can select preview options. Perhaps there are not enough choices about how many lines?
anj is offline   Reply With Quote