EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 29 Apr 2016, 12:49 AM   #1
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

GMX.com Hacking

I got some funky e-mails from an old GMX.com account so I went to login.

In my spam folder, there were 92 backscatter mails, error messages returned from mail sent from my account.

Logging in GMX demanded I change my password because of suspicious activity on my account.

Their inference was that I had let my password out, but I know that that they had let their system be breached, either with access to user information or little resistance to brute force attacks.

Admins love to blame users for password breaches, but the odds that somehow, someone got into my computer or my head are small. Much, much more likely that their security was breached. Bank robbers target banks, not individual depositors; much more productive.

Anyway, if you have a GMX account, even an old one, you might want to login and change your password.

They have a problem.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 May 2016, 04:30 PM   #2
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

I did as requested and changed my password and then deleted all mail and all contacts to leave the GMX account empty.

I have another large bout of backscatter today, though, though no warning that my account has been breached again. The spammers appear to have their own access to previous contents of the box and continue to send flights of spam.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 01:10 AM   #3
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
Logging in GMX demanded I change my password because of suspicious activity on my account.

Their inference was that I had let my password out, but I know that that they had let their system be breached, either with access to user information or little resistance to brute force attacks.
Though I do not have a GMX account, if that turns out to be the case, the fact that they were not upfront and honest with me, would be a greater concern than the fact that their systems were breached.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2016, 04:59 PM   #4
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I normally POP my GMX.com account. I just logged in, no issues, clean Inbox, clean Spam.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 08:38 PM   #5
Just Bill

I haven't trusted GMX since they went through that period of locking up accounts under the pretense of preventing spam. As far as I'm concerned, they're a fly-by-night organization that I would not trust to handle my email.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 01:40 PM   #6
pyedka
Cornerstone of the Community

I've been using gmx as one of my main mailboxes via IMAP. So far I don't have much issue with it. Of course there are some spam which usually land in the spam folder.

Will keep an eye on it.
pyedka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 01:13 AM   #7
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
Admins love to blame users for password breaches, but the odds that somehow, someone got into my computer or my head are small. Much, much more likely that their security was breached. Bank robbers target banks, not individual depositors; much more productive.

Anyway, if you have a GMX account, even an old one, you might want to login and change your password.

They have a problem.
Customers love to blame admins because they think they are more vigilant about their own security than a full team of server admins typically is. Quite frankly, admins get accused of having security holes by customers who have their passwords compromised constantly. A company should not halt all service, notify all customers, or perform full security audits every time a customer fails to manage their own security or take responsibility for it. Customers should not wield that kind of authority over a company's security protocols, unless customers are willing to pay for the admin time to perform said security audits.

Now that isn't to say that you are to blame or that they were not, in fact, compromised. However, take a step back for a second. Search Twitter. How many others are complaining publicly of this happening within the last 2-3 months? Do you believe that someone breached their servers and singled out you alone, reversed your password hash, then logged in directly to webmail under your account to send a few spam emails?

Logical deduction from your perspective is not sufficient to reach a conclusion. You must perform an investigation as deeply as you would have them perform to make such an accusation.

Last edited by jarland : 29 May 2016 at 10:39 AM.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote