EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Nov 2014, 05:14 AM   #1
dreugan

How can I display unread and total message counts in normal folder list?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to display a folder's unread and total message count in the normal interface? I want to visually scan the folder list and know how many messages (unread and total) each folder contains. I've found a few posts related to message counts, but the solutions didn't match my need.
  • In the normal interface, hovering over the folder name displays the total message count in a popup. When the folder contains new messages, that number is displayed to the right of the folder name.
  • In the classic interface, I used some CSS that was posted on the forums to display these values.
One workaround is to mark all messages in the folder as unread with the keyboard shortcuts.

If the answer is "no", then here's my feature request:
  • For each folder, allow checkboxes to control whether to display the count of read/unread/pinned/unpinned/total messages to the right of the folder name.
  • The default would be to display just the number of unread messages. Some other option may be needed to simulate the current behavior of displaying the counts only when its greater than zero.
I'm slowly adapting to the normal inteface after being completely impressed by the Fastmail Android app. The message count customization in one capability I cannot reproduce thus far.
dreugan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Dec 2014, 01:05 AM   #2
horatio8

I also used some CSS in the classic interface to display persistently the number of messages in a folder. I've also been asking for the feature in the forums for several years in the new interface (which I'm otherwise extremely happy with). I have some very large folders that I need to clean out when they get to 50,000 messages, otherwise things start to break. Therefore, it would be helpful to see the number of messages without having to remember to occasionally hover over the folder. I think the Fastmail people think it's an edge case and atheistically unpleasing, so I think getting the option to turn on persistent message counts is a long shot to happen.
horatio8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Gsptlsnz

I use a custom css so the numbers are always visible. Try adding this to your css code:

/* Show message counts always */
.messageTotal {display:inline !important;}
Gsptlsnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2014, 09:33 AM   #4
dreugan

Thanks for the reminder about the custom css, Gsptlsnz. I looked in my tweaks.css file and see that .messageTotal entry already in my file.

That custom css entry:
Old 1 Dec 2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Gsptlsnz

That's where it is on my setup, but it works. This is at the top:

/* Concise
* -------
* Theme for fastmail.fm
* Author:joelpt@eml.cc
*/
Old 1 Dec 2014, 01:37 PM   #6
dreugan

Can you confirm that the custom css snippet is working for you in the normal interface?

The .messageTotal custom css snippet is still not working for me in the normal interface. I have uploaded screenshots, one for "normal" one for "classic".
  • The classic interface displays "(2/3)" next to folder "3-Later".
  • The normal interface displays "[2]" next to the same folder.
If the .messageTotal custom css is working for you, then that's hopeful. It means there is some other problem.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 06:21 PM   #7
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

The custom.css does not work in the normal (ajax) interface, only in the classic interface.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 12:13 AM   #8
Gsptlsnz

Right, I use the "Classic" interface. Switch to that and your folder will show the amounts.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 02:05 AM   #9
dreugan

Thanks for the replies, BritTim and Gsptlsnz. So far, we've confirmed that the classic interface's support of custom css to display the folder message counts isn't supported by the normal (ajax) interface.

I'll switch back to the classic interface.
Old 27 Dec 2014, 01:44 PM   #10
Goldstein

any plans to add this good feature to the new web interface?
Goldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2015, 07:09 PM   #11
gtirloni

It took me an hour to discover that I cannot use tweaks.css with the current interface. It worked fine with the classic theme, but that doesn't look as good as the standard theme.

It would be nice to be able to tweak the CSS of the FastMail webmail interface, but if that is too hard to do, I would be happy if at least there was an option to show plain text emails in monospace fonts.
gtirloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2015, 07:50 PM   #12
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtirloni View Post
It took me an hour to discover that I cannot use tweaks.css with the current interface. It worked fine with the classic theme, but that doesn't look as good as the standard theme.

It would be nice to be able to tweak the CSS of the FastMail webmail interface, but if that is too hard to do, I would be happy if at least there was an option to show plain text emails in monospace fonts.
Welcome to the forums!

When using certain browsers, such as Chrome or Firefox, an extension called "Stylish" is available that can be used to tweak the appearance of frequently used sites. This is really the only way to get functionality similar to tweaks.css in the normal interface.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2015, 10:15 AM   #13
gtirloni

Thanks!

I got Stylish to work with the classic interface but not with the current one.

I was trying to make the compose textarea use a monospace font, but no matter what I tried, it still used Helvetica, etc. I played with the class select, added many domains, etc.

I started with this one (which didn't work) and tried to fix it: https://userstyles.org/styles/100605...aintext-emails
gtirloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2015, 03:28 PM   #14
michaelstepner

Greasemonkey / Tampermonkey solution

I was looking for the same thing as the original poster, and couldn't find a solution, so I made one.

Fastmail Folder Badge Controls lets you specify a list of folders to:
  • Show total number of messages (read and unread) on the badge.
  • Always show a badge, even if it says 0.
  • Never show a badge.

It's a Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey script that works in Firefox and Chrome.

dreugan, I think it does exactly what you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreugan View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to display a folder's unread and total message count in the normal interface?

[...]

If the answer is "no", then here's my feature request:
  • For each folder, allow checkboxes to control whether to display the count of read/unread/pinned/unpinned/total messages to the right of the folder name.
  • The default would be to display just the number of unread messages. Some other option may be needed to simulate the current behavior of displaying the counts only when its greater than zero.

Last edited by michaelstepner : 24 Apr 2015 at 05:26 AM.
michaelstepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2017, 11:57 AM   #15
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

neat this looks useful..
I installed this FastMail but it does not seem to be working....
I tried logging out and back in but no popup happened.. :/

Quote:
Configuration

To return to the configuration settings, while visiting Fastmail:

In Firefox, navigate to Tools > Greasemonkey > User script commands... > Folder badge configuration
the "User script commands" is greyed out so I cannot execute the config popup... :/

EDIT:
thx I seem to got the GreaseMonkey method to work I just had to restart Firefox lol...

Last edited by joe_devore : 7 Mar 2017 at 12:41 PM.
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote