EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 17 May 2018, 05:00 PM   #1
edu

Gandi.net 2FA

Gandi.net 2FA uses different "options" if you use the old v4.gandi.net than using the new gandi.net website.

I´ll explain this: if you are using v4.gandi.net (the "old" website) and you enable 2FA in this website and then also in gandi.net then if you disable 2FA in v4.gandi.net THINKING (obviously) that it will be the same for ALL WEBSITES because it´s applied to your domain, then WRONG!!

You delete the 2FA in your app through v4.gandi.net and then YOU CAN´T ENTER in the new GANDI.NET to manage your domain and so your email accounts. You will only be able to use v4.gandi.net but if some day this website ends... your only chance is to send your ID and some more information to gandi. HILARIOUS...

Only a WARNING to you: don´t delete the 2FA code in your app if you disable 2FA in Gandi. Be sure that in ALL websites is disabled before deleting it.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 May 2018, 12:19 AM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Yes, this could be a problem if you're not careful.

I have the Google Authenticator app on my primary and secondary (backup) phones, so I can access the one-time codes on both phones.

I recently changed my backup phone, so re-generated the Gandi authentication key for both phones.

I then discovered that the codes wouldn't work on Gandi v4!

Luckily I still had my original backup phone with the Gandi v4 2FA in the Google Authenticator, so could then regenerate the Gandi v4 authentication key on both my phones.

So I now I have two authentication codes on each phone for "Gandi v4" and "Gandi v5".

Messy?

Yes!

But hopefully, all bases are covered.

This may be of interest:

https://wiki.gandi.net/en/contacts/l...tor-activation

Note step 1:

From the Account Security page, scroll down to where you see “Two-factor authentication” and click “Activate”.

Then, begin by providing your Gandi handle's password and an emergency telephone number. This number will be useful in the event that you lose your authentication key (seed)
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 02:17 AM   #3
edu

Well, I need to send the documents to delete my 2FA in Gandi v5, even having full access now with Gandi v4... No comments.
Old 20 May 2018, 07:36 PM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
Well, I need to send the documents to delete my 2FA in Gandi v5
Could you please expand on this?

You have lost the access to 2FA on Gandi v5, and you have to "send the documents" to Gandi?

What exactly are the documents you have been asked to provide, and by "send" do you mean you have to post them to Gandi by snailmail?

I was under the impression that if you had entered your contact telephone number into Gandi when enabling 2FA, that they would use this number to contact you if you lost access.

Is this not the case, or did you not provide your telephone number, or did you provide a telephone number that you no longer have access to?

I hope I'm not appearing to be critical, I'm just wanting to understand the situation completely.

And any additional information you can provide here on the forum may be of assistance to others encountering the same problem.
Old 20 May 2018, 10:02 PM   #5
edu

I have full access to Gandi v4, but not with my username in Gandi v5 (from the same account). I had 2FA in both v4 and v5 before. Months later I disabled 2FA in v4.gandi.net and deleted the code. I didn't know that trying to login in Gandi v5 would be impossible because it uses another 2FA. I couldn't remember after all that time.

So, even I can manage my domain and even delete all, I need to send my ID and a form to delete my 2FA in Gandi v5. It can be by mail or email.

My concern is that sooner or later Gandi v4 could dissapear, and they don't understand my situation: that NOW I HAVE FULL ACCESS TO MY DOMAIN via Gandi v4, they only answer always the same: send the form and your ID to delete the 2FA in Gandi v5.

Nothing about my telephone number to contact me to restore the 2FA, even in my account they have my telephone number. Searching in the wiki I see that it's correct to ask for my ID and the form filled to delete the 2FA, but... I HAVE ACCESS NOW, it's not that I can't access to manage my domain anymore. I CAN ACCESS BUT USING V4, THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE and they don't understand it.

So, I sent them the form filled and a copy of my ID, to avoid losing my account if someday Gandi v4 dissapears. INCREDIBLE BUT TRUE. Now I must wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Could you please expand on this?

You have lost the access to 2FA on Gandi v5, and you have to "send the documents" to Gandi?

What exactly are the documents you have been asked to provide, and by "send" do you mean you have to post them to Gandi by snailmail?

I was under the impression that if you had entered your contact telephone number into Gandi when enabling 2FA, that they would use this number to contact you if you lost access.

Is this not the case, or did you not provide your telephone number, or did you provide a telephone number that you no longer have access to?

I hope I'm not appearing to be critical, I'm just wanting to understand the situation completely.

And any additional information you can provide here on the forum may be of assistance to others encountering the same problem.

Last edited by edu : 20 May 2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 05:38 AM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
I sent them the form filled and a copy of my ID, to avoid losing my account if someday Gandi v4 dissapears. INCREDIBLE BUT TRUE. Now I must wait.
I notice you've referred to this thread in another thread.

Can you update us on what eventually happened and how long it took to resolution?
Old 22 Jul 2018, 06:49 AM   #7
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I notice you've referred to this thread in another thread.

Can you update us on what eventually happened and how long it took to resolution?
The only solution was sending my ID and the form filled and my 2FA was disabled. After trying to explain them that it was a nonsense the answer was always the same. So...

I don't know now but some months ago Support was very slow to answer and they said they were solving some "problems".