EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Mar 2017, 01:35 PM   #16
JMac
Essential Contributor

(Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but it fits so well that I decided it would be a waste to start a new one.)

I have an Enhanced Plan - it's a five year plan since that's the duration I selected when I first signed up. Looking at the renewal screen it is offering me to renew the Enhanced (Legacy) Plan for another 5 years at a cost of $160, which works out to $32 per year. Can't beat that with a stick!

My only gripe right now is that they seem to have trashed the old "Service Plans" page which was actually a big grid showing the available plans across the top and all the features/limits/sizes etc. down the left side of the grid. I am kinda lost without that grid! Trying to match up all the information shown on the grid with current features and limits doesn’t seem to be possible.

The items on the left side of the grid in an older version are shown at the bottom of this post. (Can't seem to get back to regular text beyond the table now!)

So how to gather all that same information for all the current plans now?

Thanks!

Jim

Account pricing and service
Cost
Minimum contract
Automatic renewal available
Technical Support
Minimum characters in username
Commercial use allowed
Backup email address required
Email
Email access methods
Web-based email
IMAP (email)
POP3 (email)
WAP (email)
SMTP (sending email)
Email features
Virus scanning
Spam protection
Mail Forwarding
Own subdomain
External POP/Hotmail Retrieval
Aliases/Own domain email
Aliases
Use your own domains
Email storage and transfer limits
Mail storage quota
Extra mail storage
Maximum attachment size
Hourly/daily message quota
Hourly/daily transfer quota
File storage
File storage access methods
Web-based file storage
DAV (files)
FTP (files)
Basic web publishing
File storage and transfer limits
File storage quota
Extra file storage
Hourly/daily file transfer quota
Other service limits
Address book
Personalities
Pop links
(collect mail from external accounts)
Pop links auto-collect time interval
Advanced rules
Custom sieve script
Notepad entries
Poll window
(Alerts you to new mail)
Hourly Logins
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2017, 02:26 PM   #17
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I described about 10 posts ago the differences I discovered comparing the legacy Enhanced with the current Standard plans.

I upgraded my Enhanced account to Standard earlier this year. I also have a Basic account. Let me know if I can answer any questions you can't discover with my earlier post or these help pages:
https://www.fastmail.com/pricing/
https://www.fastmail.com/help/account/limits.html

You can of course file a normal Fastmail support request with any specific questions.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2017, 02:37 PM   #18
JMac
Essential Contributor

Hi Bill.

You only addressed mail storage and file storage. I'm thinking about aliases, number of email addresses and what type of addresses. (There used to be strict character limits - we discussed that in an earlier thread). Attachment sizes, sending limits, etc. It's all probably located somewhere - maybe! - but it sure would be easier in a single table. Why abandon such a clear aid?

BTW, your earlier post (the one you reference as "about 10 posts ago") states that you were so far under the storage limits with your Enhanced Plan that you "...have no reason to upgrade at this time." Yet now you say that you upgraded from Enhanced to Standard earlier this year. What changed in such a short time?

Thanks!

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2017, 02:44 PM   #19
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
(Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but it fits so well that I decided it would be a waste to start a new one.)

I have an Enhanced Plan - it's a five year plan since that's the duration I selected when I first signed up. Looking at the renewal screen it is offering me to renew the Enhanced (Legacy) Plan for another 5 years at a cost of $160, which works out to $32 per year. Can't beat that with a stick!
That's good if you live in the US, but for Australian customers that relates to about $210 so on my 2 accounts that is $100 for me It seems so stupid....an Australian company that does not take Australian currency.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2017, 03:04 PM   #20
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Aliases:
  • Fastmail domains: 2 or more characters in length. The alias must start with a letter, must not end in a period character, and can contain a-z, 0-9, period, or underscore.
  • Personal domains: 1 or more characters in length. The alias must not start or end with a period. The other characters can be a-z, 0-9, period, or underscore.
  • The limit for the number of aliases is shown in the account/limits link I gave. It is 600, plus 15 for every user in the account.
Identities (sending From addresses):
Fetch accounts (POP3 fetch):
The limits on attachment size and numbers of messages sent are also described on this help page. The limit on attachment size is 70 MB after encoding:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/account/limits.html

Bill
Old 19 Mar 2017, 04:01 PM   #21
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Wink

I went from Enhanced account type to a lite back ooh a year or more before they started the new pricing system...

Back December 2016 when my renewal was due up I renewed my Lite account for a further 5 years for only $50 US...
good enough for me for now...

maybe I will upgraded to basic after 5 years are up...
I don't really need the higher MAIL/FILE storage quotas...
only feature I would prefer is...
ftp access which I don't get on lite account...

EDIT:
one thing I don't see either on the new plans or old legacy plans is WHICH ones support FTP access... :/
I only know that my current lite plan does NOT support FTP access...

Last edited by joe_devore : 19 Mar 2017 at 04:07 PM.
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2017, 08:48 PM   #22
Merovingian
Master of the @

I would also be curious to know why Bill upgraded after mentioning he would stay with the Enhanced.

I'm on the Enhanced plan as well, but maybe we're missing some rationale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
Hi Bill.

You only addressed mail storage and file storage. I'm thinking about aliases, number of email addresses and what type of addresses. (There used to be strict character limits - we discussed that in an earlier thread). Attachment sizes, sending limits, etc. It's all probably located somewhere - maybe! - but it sure would be easier in a single table. Why abandon such a clear aid?

BTW, your earlier post (the one you reference as "about 10 posts ago") states that you were so far under the storage limits with your Enhanced Plan that you "...have no reason to upgrade at this time." Yet now you say that you upgraded from Enhanced to Standard earlier this year. What changed in such a short time?

Thanks!

Jim
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2017, 05:44 AM   #23
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_devore View Post
... one thing I don't see either on the new plans or old legacy plans is WHICH ones support FTP access... :/
I only know that my current lite plan does NOT support FTP access...
The help is clear on this issue. All current account types and the legacy Full, Enhanced and Premier accounts support FTP access.
https://www.fastmail.com/help/files/davnftp.html
Quote:
Note that Lite and legacy Guest/Member accounts do not have FTP access
You must use an application password for FTP access, as well as any other non-Fastmail client accessing your account.

Bill
Old 20 Mar 2017, 05:51 AM   #24
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
I would also be curious to know why Bill upgraded after mentioning he would stay with the Enhanced...
I recently decided to reorganize my email accounts, closing some and upgrading others.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 05:55 AM   #25
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
The help is clear on this issue. All current account types and the legacy Full, Enhanced and Premier accounts support FTP access.
https://www.fastmail.com/help/files/davnftp.html
You must use an application password for FTP access, as well as any other non-Fastmail client accessing your account.

Bill
yeah... I'm Lite... so am outa luck it would seem...
btw I did setup my App PW for FTP access so that's all set if and when I eventually upgrade my email FM account... O_o
Old 21 Mar 2017, 04:28 AM   #26
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post
Most of the options under Settings... Admin... Policy are unavailable to those of us with Enhanced.
Which do what exactly?
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2017, 04:46 AM   #27
akorvemaker
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Which do what exactly?
Customizing the login screen (themes, logo), or adding a disclaimer to the bottom of all emails sent by all users.

Nothing that matters to me, but some companies seem to like adding those disclaimers.
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2017, 12:54 AM   #28
randian

I have a family+Lite account? Can that be upgraded to Enhanced, then rolled up (along with my domains) into a non-family Enhanced account for the multi-year discount which family accounts don't get? Are you stuck buying the first year of Enhanced at full price or can you go straight into a multi-year deal?
Old 24 Mar 2017, 01:04 AM   #29
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I have a family+Lite account? Can that be upgraded to Enhanced, then rolled up (along with my domains) into a non-family Enhanced account for the multi-year discount which family accounts don't get? Are you stuck buying the first year of Enhanced at full price or can you go straight into a multi-year deal?
as far as I know they no longer sell their Legacy accounts so u will have to upgrade to one of their new accounts types, Basic, Standard, or Professional...
Old 24 Mar 2017, 01:30 AM   #30
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_devore View Post
as far as I know they no longer sell their Legacy accounts so u will have to upgrade to one of their new accounts types, Basic, Standard, or Professional...
Yes, but some people have reported still being able to create Legacy subaccounts in their family plans, which suggests what I proposed may be possible.