EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 8 Nov 2006, 09:51 AM   #1
J_F

Spam ... sigh ...

Frustrating …

Not only Dspam is failing miserably but also training the filter is becoming more and more time consuming – flagging emails as spam takes forever and more often than not it just does not happen (emails are not moved to the spam folder). Meanwhile, every week I have to tell Dspam that Nature’s journals table of contents are NOT spam.
J_F is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Nov 2006, 12:43 PM   #2
hajonez
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Spam ... sigh ...

Quote:
Originally posted by J_F
Meanwhile, every week I have to tell Dspam that Nature’s journals table of contents are NOT spam.
Hi J_F,

Do the emails you receive from Nature Journal all come from the same address? If they do, you can whitelist the sender's address to prevent DSpam from flagging these messages as spam.

Simply open one of the Nature Journal emails and click on the small envelope icon containing a tiny green plus symbol; this is located to the right of the sender's address. This will then whitelist the Nature Journal address. If you would like to whitelist the entire Nature Journal domain, you'll need to access the Runbox Filter page by clicking 'Manager' on the main screen and then clicking the Filter graphic on the left-hand side.

If you need any more assistance, please let me know.

- Henry
hajonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2006, 11:36 PM   #3
fidebeque

DSPAM works great for me but i recognize that when you want to train it it takes forever...
fidebeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2006, 12:08 AM   #4
Ryanp

I have been wondering too about the spam filters. I sent a friend a message yesterday about going to lunch today, and her reply got junk filtered. I am posting the DSpam list from the message in the hopes that someone can explain why the spam filter is sucking so bad:

X-DSPAM-Factors: 15,
and, 0.99990,
proprietary, 0.99990,
to, 0.99990,
by, 0.99990,
the, 0.99990,
is, 0.99990,
X-MimeOLE*By+Microsoft, 0.99990,
X-MimeOLE*Produced+By, 0.99990,
To*runbox+com, 0.99990,
Content-Transfer-Encoding*quoted+printable, 0.99990,
To*[myusername]+runbox, 0.99990,
Content-Type*text+plain, 0.99990,
Date*Wed+Nov, 0.99990,
Content-Type*text, 0.99990,
This, 0.99990
X-DSPAM-Result: Spam
X-DSPAM-Confidence: 0.7808
X-DSPAM-Probability: 1.0000

Anybody?
Ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2006, 12:21 AM   #5
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
It's best to Whitelist people with whom you communicate on a regular basis. Runbox does NOT use your Address Book as a whitelist.

I haven't quite figured out how to read the DSPAM factors but my experience with DSPAM is that it often is too strict at the start and gets better as you train it. However, it sometimes takes a number of trainings for messages from certain people until it quits flagging them as spam. DSPAM actually has an internal whitelist and once it has been trained enough times for messages from a certain address it will start indicating it by a result of "X-DSPAM-Result: whitelisted".

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2006, 12:37 AM   #6
Ryanp

Thanks. I have another email service that uses the Horde interface, and that has the option to put a checkbox next to as many messages as you want and then whitelist them all at once. Runbox requires you to open individual messages and then whitelist the sender from there. I have tried to whitelist everyone I communicate with, but people keep slipping through the cracks.

The factors listed in there don't give me much confidence in the spam-filtering though... a bunch of basic words like "This" and "to", and my username as the address makes it spam? I am tempted to wipe the adaptive filter and start over but I don't know enough about the results to be able to tell if it would help.
Ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2006, 01:57 AM   #7
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp
Thanks. I have another email service that uses the Horde interface, and that has the option to put a checkbox next to as many messages as you want and then whitelist them all at once. Runbox requires you to open individual messages and then whitelist the sender from there. I have tried to whitelist everyone I communicate with, but people keep slipping through the cracks.
You can add multiple addresses in the "Whitelist" section under "Manager -> Filter".

Type in an address next to "Whitelist:" and click the [Add] button. It will be added to the list to the right. Type another one and click the [Add] button. When you're all done adding them click the [Save settings] button at the bottom of the page.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp
The factors listed in there don't give me much confidence in the spam-filtering though... a bunch of basic words like "This" and "to", and my username as the address makes it spam? I am tempted to wipe the adaptive filter and start over but I don't know enough about the results to be able to tell if it would help.
Here are the DSPAM factors from one of my messages where DSPAM has "whitelisted" the sender:

X-DSPAM-Factors: 15,
You+have, 0.99990,
List+Re, 0.00010,
lost+all, 0.99990,
accept+this, 0.99990,
they+are, 0.99990,
and+all, 0.99990,
add+few, 0.99990,
girl, 0.99990,
Crew, 0.00010,
concern, 0.99990,
closing, 0.99990,
magic, 0.99990,
part, 0.99990,
Webelos, 0.00010,
This+is, 0.99990
X-DSPAM-Result: Whitelisted
X-DSPAM-Confidence: 0.5773
X-DSPAM-Probability: 1.0000

Note that it too has a lot of common words listed. There are a couple of less common words like "Crew" and "Webelos" that have a lower score associated with them. Maybe this indicates that these are words less likely to be found in spam ... I don't know ... just a guess.

I would just keep training the DSPAM filter. It works pretty good after it's been trained for a while. At least mine does.

Usually when spam gets through now it's because the message was never checked by DSPAM (they still have some problems with the server not being able to handle the load and with unexplained DSPAM database table corruptions).

But overall I think it works pretty good. It's better than just SpamAssassin by itself.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2006, 03:51 AM   #8
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
The tokens weighted by Dspam depend on relevant tokens already in the Dspam database for your account.

We are aware that Dspam is not performing at its best, and we are working to tune it better as well as acquire hardware to upgrade or replace the physical Dspam server.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2006, 08:07 AM   #9
emk

I'd like to chip in my two cents on Dspam. In addition to the recent odd behavior (not moving tagged messages out of the Inbox; letting a huge amount of spam through), it takes forever to tag mail as spam.

It's like booting Windows -- you tag mail as spam, and then have time to go get a coffee before the screen refreshes. This has been going on for months. Hopefully someone will fix it.

OT: Hey, Ryan! What's up, cabron? Glad to see you're still around.

- Erik
emk is offline   Reply With Quote