EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 25 Aug 2005, 07:40 PM   #1
sreenadh
Essential Contributor

FireWall solution

I am looking for a reliable software Firewall. Could u pls advice a reliable one. Thanks in advance.
sreenadh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Aug 2005, 08:14 PM   #2
JRobert
Master of the @

You didn't say what platform, so I'll assume PC... I've been very happy with Sygate personal firewall. I'm using v5.5 build 2710. I recall some grumbling about the following version(?) so a little reading is in order, starting with the Sygate support forum. They may well have progressed beyond those difficulties in the nearly-a-year since.

You teach SPF your surfing habits (it solicits your permission for attempts by unfamiliar applicaitions or protocols wanting to cross your firewall, which you may grant or refuse each time or from then on). Lots of options if you care to dig into them, but most are pre-configured to reasonable defaults and stay out of your way until you go looking for them. Recommended.

-jeff-

Last edited by JRobert : 25 Aug 2005 at 08:33 PM.
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2005, 10:59 PM   #3
hellie
Essential Contributor

I have also just posted about antivirus I will be changing from kaspersky to eset.

What is the best Firewall both paid and free. I plan to put free on my PC which I do not use all that much and paid on my laptop which I totally rely upon.

I do want maximum protection on my laptop. As if anything happens to that I am really totally stuck.

I would like something unobtrusive.

I only got laptop last xmas so its new hence I would also be interesting in purcahsing multiple year subscription so I can forget about it. I can do that with www.eset.com antivrus.

I have done with Fastmail also and purchased a five year enhanced email account. I just trouble free computing without constanting remembering to renew things!!

I have looked at Kerico? Any opinions?

Helen
hellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2005, 07:19 AM   #4
Sherry

Personally I think ZoneAlarm is the best Free/Paid out there. Most things I've read in tech news agrees with that... (it's personal for home use firewall is free)

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2005, 08:02 AM   #5
silasm0

firewall solution

I have windows xp with sp2. It has a firewall installed by default. I am also on AOL. My free version of Zone Alarms expired today. And I couldn't install another free firewall. I don't think a person can install a free firewall with that combination.
silasm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2005, 08:09 AM   #6
Sherry

Re: firewall solution

Quote:
Originally posted by silasm0
My free version of Zone Alarms expired today.
I don't think you downloaded the Free version. It's kind off tricky. If you click on a link that says to download the Free firewall it was probably the one that's the Free Trial version and, I think, it expires after a month? I've been using ZoneAlarm for years and it's never expired. If you remove (in Add/Remove programs) the Trial version you should be able to download and install the Free one...

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2005, 02:06 AM   #7
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

IIRC the free version can be run as a full trial version, and you get to choose which when it's first run for the first time.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote