EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 16 Jan 2004, 07:35 PM   #1
alex_blue

What is your PRIMARY mail?

Also state the criteria(s) you based on when choosing your primary mail, thanks!

-Fast & reliable
-Large mailbox
-File storage
-Special features
-No tag-line
-No banner/popup
-POP/SMTP/IMAP
-Mail domain
-Mail provider
-etc.

I set ezrs.com as my primary mail but it lacks of some features so I'm looking for another good one. I'll consider all your recommendations
alex_blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Jan 2004, 07:51 PM   #2
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Re: What is your PRIMARY mail?

My criteria for primary must be / have:

Reliable
Large mailbox
POP
Fast
Antispam (unlimited domain blocks)

Currently I am using my ISP email as my primary email. It is fast, reliable, POP and large diskspace. It doesn't have any antispam features.

Quote:
Originally posted by alex_blue
Also state the criteria(s) you based on when choosing your primary mail, thanks!

-Fast & reliable
-Large mailbox
-File storage
-Special features
-No tag-line
-No banner/popup
-POP/SMTP/IMAP
-Mail domain
-Mail provider
-etc.

I set ezrs.com as my primary mail but it lacks of some features so I'm looking for another good one. I'll consider all your recommendations
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2004, 07:52 PM   #3
psalzer

Fastmail is my primary e-mail. It's really the only one I use. The criteria I used to choose it were:

-Fast & reliable
-Large mailbox

I didn't mind a tagline as long is it wasn't too long or too stupid, but it never came up because by the time this was implemented for free accounts I had a paid account there. Fast and reliable and a good sized mailbox were the most important things to me. There are many special features and different ones are important to different people. I really like the notepad, personalities and aliases.

I'm probably going to take advantage of the file storage when I get the chance to play with it, but that wasn't a must for me.

I didn't care all that much about domains, because I was using my own, but there are some I like very much and I use them most of the time as it turns out.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2004, 08:36 PM   #4
teacher
Master of the @

I use my ISP email as my primary email. I find by using my same email and password, I can also use it as webmail as well as accessing my POP3 messages.
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2004, 09:09 PM   #5
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

I use my ISP one,my fastmail and my yahoo as my primaries...I actually get the most mail in my yahoo,as I use it to teceive my emails from here--but the one that is the most reliable of the three is the fastmail.My ISP one sometimes does weird things and the fastmail always works properly!! Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2004, 10:34 PM   #6
guest2k
Cornerstone of the Community

ureach.com

fast, and a lot of features.
guest2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2004, 11:01 PM   #7
Gankaku

I like:

Fast & Reliable
Large mailbox
No banner/popup
And the special features, which kind of make all the difference in making a service stand out. I especially like the ability to change the fromline in my primary service.

I also must have an interesting to use interface. Too simple is pretty boring for me, and usually (in the case of free services, especially) means a less-than-exemplary featured system.

I use Fastmail as my primary.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2004, 11:47 PM   #8
alex_blue

I would like to use my own ISP mail but it only provides me with 4MB which I find insufficient. As for fastmail I tried to signup with 6 characters but that is not allowed in guest account but I'm not planning to pay for one *yet*...

Anyway after browsing and serching and trying numerous free webmails all day long I've decided to make myway.com my primary mail.

Features offered by myway
-Fast & reliable
-POP/SMTP (?)
-No banner/popup
-Mail domain -> easy to remember
-Mail provider -> Yahoo! mail alike?
-Editable from field

6MB is still too little for me but I can't find a better one out there which offers reliablity and oh, I forgot to mention that the mail provider should be able to handle forwarded (multiple times) mail properly... as I noticed Squirrelmail fails that
alex_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2004, 12:17 AM   #9
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by alex_blue
"Criteria" is plural. The singular is "criterion".

My primary is Fastmail.FM; it's fast, reliable, has a mailbox size and bandwidth limit which is ample for my needs, and the peer-to-peer support one gets here (plus the support from the developers wheen needed) is also great.  Also, I like the fact that FM are open about their account limits, instead of maintaining the pretence of being "unlimited".

MailAndNews used to be my secondary (backup) and tertiary (mostly Usenet posting) service, with Hotmail my quaternary (where I'm not sure it's safe to give out an address); but Shanje (who run M&N) have cancelled both my M&N accounts due to an unprofessional and idiotic blame-the-victim approach to viruses (especially Swen), so my Hotmail account has been promoted to secondary.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2004, 12:20 AM   #10
glebarr
Essential Contributor

Cool

definately fastmail, but if you want a solid portal-based email service I think myway mail is a great option...
glebarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2004, 12:39 AM   #11
Gankaku

I agree with glebarr. The only reason I didn't mention myway is because it doesn't offer pop/imap - it's webemail only, and you can't do any special tricks to pop mail out either. However, the myway interface doesn't have ads...peacefully nice. I use them as a backup account for my newsletters.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2004, 03:47 AM   #12
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

My primary email: Fastmail.

Why? Reliable, cheap, fast, feature rich yet easy to use, great management of resources, and the forum!
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2004, 04:13 AM   #13
guillaume
Essential Contributor

MSN - Absolutly no spam in my inbox for the past three months...The new spam filters are the best available around , the site looks really good after their update .. just wished it was a bit faster but i dont care cause i'm accessing my emails thru the MSN Mail client of MSN 9
guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2004, 04:29 AM   #14
curious
Essential Contributor

I wanted to make FM my primary email, but it's missing one feature that's very important to me: flagging. For my primary email, it's crucial that I be able to highlight important messages. FM's shortcuts are nice, but not as important to me as this common feature. So for now, my ISP suffices. I hope FM adds flagging soon!
curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2004, 04:45 AM   #15
Daniel S

curious, do you need to use Web interface often?
if you read your Fastmail with an email client (with POP3 or IMAP) you can flag messages

alternatively, you can file important messages in separate folders, or just mark them Unread