EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 29 Apr 2011, 12:52 AM   #1
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
is it possible to register a web.de email today?

I know it's impossible in last years.
does it open the registration as GMX does today?
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Apr 2011, 12:57 AM   #2
krimlin
Essential Contributor

It should be the easiest way to ask someone with a German or Austrian IP address to register and to give you the login credentials. The address provided to web.de will not be correct then, of course.

But why do you want such an address? I can't imagine you will be happy with their 12MB email space and 4MB attachment size in the free version.
krimlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2011, 11:24 AM   #3
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimlin View Post
It should be the easiest way to ask someone with a German or Austrian IP address to register and to give you the login credentials. The address provided to web.de will not be correct then, of course.

But why do you want such an address? I can't imagine you will be happy with their 12MB email space and 4MB attachment size in the free version.
12MB space? that sounds so limited.
I just have interest in it.
Old 30 Apr 2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Web.de thanks its popularity in Germany to
- being around for a really long time
- being part of a bigger portal with many services
- its short and neat domain

It also has a reputation of being quite reliable. However, indeed the storage capacity is a downside. I tried opening a Web.de account when I lived in Prague but a computer I needed to use somehow used an Austrian IP. So this allowed me to sign up for a web.de account, I however opted against it because I just felt incomfortable about lying about my location and using my old Berlin address where I did no longer live. I would say that despite the neat domain, the capacity offered isn't worth lying for anyway.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2011, 11:54 PM   #5
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
thanks a friend on this forum I have got one.
btw, do you know if web.de supports alias account?
Old 2 May 2011, 08:17 AM   #6
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Never met anyone using aliases, which doesn't mean it's not allowed or possible. But most Germans that opt for web.de do so because the domain is so neat and short, so they don't really care for aliases.

Using a proxy I once found myself on an Austrian IP, I was already tempted to sign up for GMX or Web but then felt like providing an outdated address was just not worth the hassle and worries about them shutting down the mailbox eventually in case they'd find out I had left Germany back in 2008.
Old 2 May 2011, 10:12 AM   #7
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Never met anyone using aliases, which doesn't mean it's not allowed or possible. But most Germans that opt for web.de do so because the domain is so neat and short, so they don't really care for aliases.
Thanks that's right.
Under the helps of google translation I have checked web.de's features, it doesn't provide alias account for the free email, but the paid one can have 19 aliases. Also the mailbox is 12M, max message number is 500, attachment size is 4M, that's out of date.

I also have a GMX.net account, GMX is better for the size limit (1G totally), and has 5 aliases for free. But GMX's webmail interface is worse (too small window size), web.de is good while.
Old 3 May 2011, 03:48 AM   #8
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Not sure if 12MB is out of date. I remember less than a decade ago Yahoo's 6 MB was considered a gem. Now people are spoiled with Gmail and then several others that followed, but there are still quite a few providers out there whose free version has limited storage room: Safe Mail, Hushmail, Fastmail (unless they increased this recently??), Web.de, Mail.be, .... I guess the strategy is simple: let people have a taste for free and hope they switch to paid accounts in order to have a huge amount of storage.
Old 3 May 2011, 05:52 PM   #9
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Exclamation Web.de

I've had a web.de account since about 1999 or 2000 as an accompaniment to another German based email service mailnet.de that was big stuff back then but is now kaput. Web.de remains but as others have said, at the 12MB level, but with a plethora of features and even more for those who want to pay. On test for a new free mail account, Web.de refused the registration due to the origin of the IP address, ie: The United States. Obviously Web.de has changed their policies since I signed up long ago. Now their policy is like what GMX's used to be. Their excuse (translated) is too much spam and abuse from outside addresses. Web.de is nice and stable but there is no alternate language support and outdated inbox storage and attachment allowances.
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2011, 06:51 PM   #10
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Since Web.de focusses on the German language countries only, it is understandable there is no alternative language available in their interface or support.

I agree with everything else you say, but then I think the free version's storage capacity is kept low on purpose, hoping the free version will trigger people to pay for a larger capacity inbox. Like the free version being nothing but a sample, hoping people will like the "taste" and then pay for the entire product.
Old 3 May 2011, 09:00 PM   #11
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Like the free version being nothing but a sample, hoping people will like the "taste" and then pay for the entire product.
But 5 EUD per month is not cheap.
I personally don't think it's worth for that.
Old 3 May 2011, 09:43 PM   #12
krimlin
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
But 5 EUD per month is not cheap.
I personally don't think it's worth for that.
You're right, but hundreds of thousands of people have been using web.de in German-speaking Europe for more than a decade as their main email address. They don't want (or don't know how) to switch to another provider and want to keep their address, so paying for it seems to be the only way "out".

The last time they increased their storage quota was in February 2000 (!), from 8 to 12MB.
The German Wikipedia summerises several "worst practices" of web.de - for the case somebody is interested.

This, in my opinion, is an excellent example for a company exercising power over it's customers - and why it is the best solution to buy an own domain name...

Last edited by krimlin : 3 May 2011 at 09:52 PM.
krimlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2017, 07:29 PM   #13
The Miracle

Smile I.p not allowed through

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
thanks a friend on this forum I have got one.
btw, do you know if web.de supports alias account?
Please can you aid me in creating one? I've tried but my I.p sure ain't allowed to go through. If you will, I can send you the user address I wanna use. Thanks. I'm new here too. Hope we all gonna get along. Cheers!
The Miracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2017, 09:10 PM   #14
rmannam

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimlin View Post

My web.de free account is 10GB with 20 MB attachment, 2GB online storage. (I have to download MailCheck). Only premium accounts have aliases.

Last edited by rmannam : 28 Oct 2017 at 09:24 PM.
rmannam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2017, 11:56 PM   #15
The Miracle

Lightbulb Aid needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmannam View Post
My web.de free account is 10GB with 20 MB attachment, 2GB online storage. (I have to download MailCheck). Only premium accounts have aliases.
Nam, pleases can you help me create one?
The Miracle is offline   Reply With Quote