EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 14 Oct 2006, 03:39 AM   #1
airbus

Question Gmail & Spam.

I've been a gmail freak since it's beginning.

Lately I receive WAY TOO MANY spam messages into my first account (I've got a couple of them):

Those messages which I defined as spam are automatically sent to the spam flder upon arrival - BUT:
New spams from the same origins repeat and come, in unimaginable quantities - as far as HUDREDS per day!

I know I can erase, in one click, the whole content of the spam folder whenever I see it.

However - this "phenomenon" is still annoying, especially when the anount of these harassments increase each and every day!

Any idea for solving this problem, or, at least, reducing it?

Thanks in advance
airbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Oct 2006, 04:20 AM   #2
ReuvenNY

Welcome to the real world of the Internet in 2006!
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 06:35 AM   #3
theog
= Permanently banned =

Gmail will catch all spam, but darn if they don't get some "honest" email as well. I wish there were some way of adjusting the spam filter. I'd rather get 2 or 3 spam emails today, than false-positives in my my spam box.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 08:37 AM   #4
Javier
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by theog
... I wish there were some way of adjusting the spam filter ...
I agree you, but, in fact, GMail spam filtering works, at least in my case, really better than some other very reknown services that allows to configure them (for example, Webmail.us, Tuffmail.com, EuMX.net, Yahoo!, Netaddress, Runbox, Mailsnare, ...).

GMail is the system that I am using that has, IMHO, the best detection rate of spam (positives and false positive) of all. Just Fastmail.fm is near it.
Javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 09:35 AM   #5
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally posted by Javier
I agree you, but, in fact, GMail spam filtering works, at least in my case, really better than some other very reknown services that allows to configure them (for example, Webmail.us, Tuffmail.com, EuMX.net, Yahoo!, Netaddress, Runbox, Mailsnare, ...).

GMail is the system that I am using that has, IMHO, the best detection rate of spam (positives and false positive) of all. Just Fastmail.fm is near it.
My everyone.net accounts will catch all the spam with a similar false positives rate as gmail, if I decide. I decide to get a couple of spam messages and no false positives in my everyone.net accounts.

The point is I can decide... I can be the ruler of my own domain.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 10:17 AM   #6
nbarr
Cornerstone of the Community

In my personal experience I have also found the Gmail's spam filter to very effective and I rate it very high (surprisingly so).

However, in my personal experience I have found that Tuffmail's system of:
- Spamassassin
- MX Restrictions
- Trainable Bayes Classifier
is a combination Without Equal.

And I have tried and given thoughtful consideration to all of the following:
In alphabetical order
bluehome.net
emailthatworks.net (formerly Imap-partners.net)
eumx.net
everyone.net
fastmail.fm
luxsci.com
runbox.com
slashmail.org
webmail.us
yahoo.com / yahoo.ca

I would note that some of the services listed above I rate very highly and that this assessment is limited to Spam Detection Effectiveness and to that criteria only.

For what it's worth.

Last edited by nbarr : 14 Oct 2006 at 10:32 AM.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2006, 05:21 PM   #7
unhappysoul
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by Javier

right!

I receive average 100 spams a day but all lands into JUNK folder
which with one click all gone!
unhappysoul is offline   Reply With Quote