EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 27 Feb 2007, 01:32 AM   #16
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
I got an account with Dongo - and it looks very nice! I was quite surprised to see it had the capability to set up forwarding[...]
But as it has no provision for keeping copies of autoforwarded messages in the Dongo.com inbox itself, forwarding makes the 4GB storage space meaningless. Which doesn't necessarlily make the account useless, of course, but it definitely makes it far less useful IMO.

For example, having the ability to send "from" alternate email addresses might be useful, but might be far more so was I able to actually have copies of messages which I wanted to respond to available in the Dongo.com mailbox itself. But having my messages autoforwarded would preclude that. So these considerations, taken together, make the forwarding, the "identities", and the storage space all of much less practical value than they might otherwise be.

Bottom line, it seems to offer everything that Gmail does except far less.

Edit: I might add that the lack of filters has also seemed to me to always be a severe limitation to the usefulness of large email boxes, when everything is simply dumped into the Inbox, requiring the manual sorting of all incoming messages to folders. And while Dongo.com advertises the availability of incoming mail filters, unless this feature is very well-hidden, this appears to be blatant false advertising.

Add to this, that the spam filtering seems vastly inferior to Gmail's. In fact, as a test, I've been autoforwarding all incoming messages to one of my Gmail accounts to dongo.com since opening my account there a couple days ago, and thus far every message routed to the Spam folder has been a false positive. I haven't yet checked to see exactly how many "false negatives" may be in the Inbox,. but since I've defintely received some spam in my Gmail account which is forwarding to dongo.com, I'm sure there must be some. In other words, thus far every "guess" made by dongo.com has been "wrong".

Last edited by xmailer : 27 Feb 2007 at 02:19 AM.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2007, 07:38 AM   #17
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailer View Post
Edit: I might add that the lack of filters has also seemed to me to always be a severe limitation to the usefulness of large email boxes, when everything is simply dumped into the Inbox, requiring the manual sorting of all incoming messages to folders. And while Dongo.com advertises the availability of incoming mail filters, unless this feature is very well-hidden, this appears to be blatant false advertising.
Hmmm...you're certainly right about this. Filtering is very important for large inboxes. and great search capability. Your post has made me now realize that I need much more in a mail service now than just "needs IMAP, needs to be able to change from address".
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2007, 10:32 AM   #18
astro

http://www.dongo.com/account/signup.php

"Temporarily Unavailable: ( down for maintenance; we will be back up shortly! )"
astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2007, 11:01 AM   #19
unhappysoul
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
http://www.dongo.com/account/signup.php

"Temporarily Unavailable: ( down for maintenance; we will be back up shortly! )"

I'm sorry but does anyone know meaning of word "dongo"?

sound lot like "Don('t) Go" to me.....
unhappysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2007, 11:27 AM   #20
JTB

From what I got from a Google search, Dongo is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Como in the Italian region Lombardy. (This is from Wikipedia)

Dongo is also The god of thunder of the Songhai (upper Niger river).

I'm sure there are some other definitions. Just gotta Google.

On a side note:

I took a look at Dongo. It looks promising. One thing I didn't like is the HUGE text. Another feature that it doesn't have and is important (to me) is the ability to retrieve mail from other POP3 accounts. But hey, it's BETA, I'm sure they'll add it soon.
JTB is offline   Reply With Quote