EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 27 Aug 2006, 05:43 PM   #1
unhappysoul
Cornerstone of the Community

crawler.com = inbox.com?

Crawler.com look just like Inbox.com including email service.

Are they same company?
unhappysoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Aug 2006, 05:58 PM   #2
mikedk

Re: crawler.com = inbox.com?

Quote:
Originally posted by unhappysoul
Crawler.com look just like Inbox.com including email service.

Are they same company?
In a word 'yes'. I was able to log into the Crawler site using my Inbox username and password. I wonder........
mikedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2006, 02:10 AM   #3
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Crawler has their own Producs page
http://www.crawler.com/products.aspx

I googled that name.
Quote:
Spyware terminator is it good ?
And found this review? from Wilders forum.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=116457

Quote:
You have to DESERVE the trust of users and it's hard to get them back once you lose that trust. Erik Albert
Maybe unfortunate and unfair and hard but some has this more restrained view on companies. Maybe Crawler has learned from their reputaton and cleaned up. I have no way to know. Too remote here. But such text make me hesitating using Crawler Inbox?

Last edited by drew : 31 Aug 2006 at 03:43 AM.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2006, 03:00 AM   #4
theog
= Permanently banned =

That is strange... when I started using some of the features of inbox.com, I did not like the slight "nudge" to make users install the toolbar... did not "feel" right to me. There are little things they do, like say you can upload/download more/faster if you have the toolbar. I did not trust it for some reason.

Both inbox.com and crawler have the spy ware terminator app listed. Seems many people trust the app, but I'll take a pass. I will definitely not install anything from the company now...

What is the old saying (maybe unfair in this case): burn me once.... burn me twice....
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2006, 05:12 AM   #5
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
What is the old saying (maybe unfair in this case): burn me once.... burn me twice....
I've heard a variation.

Onced burned - twiced shy.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2006, 03:31 PM   #6
CyberSmurf

I finally broke down and created a new e-mail account.

This is the message that I got after creating my crawler.com account.
Quote:
Registration Successfully Completed

Congratulations!
You have just successfully setup a free 5GB account at Inbox.com.
Please be aware it may take up to several minutes for the registration process to complete.
Your login & Crawler email address: xxxxxx@crawler.com
I provided the highlighting in the quote.

The registration info is different for the two domains, so it's possible that Inbox.com only providing the e-mail for Crawler.com.

Similar to mikedk, I was able to log into Inbox.com webmail using my @crawler.com ID.
Pinging the mailservers, I get the same IP address.
    my.inbox.com   [208.50.6.10]
    my.crawler.com [208.50.6.10]
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2006, 07:08 PM   #7
jdtaylor
Master of the @

I wouldn't be suprisied if they are the same company operating two different services, but on the same server and using an intergrated database to save time and hassle with maintaince and such like.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2006, 10:21 PM   #8
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberSmurf
The registration info is different for the two domains, so it's possible that Inbox.com only providing the e-mail for Crawler.com.
When I went to the crawler.com site yesterday, after first seeing the first post in this thread, the "home" page had the same personalized information on it as I find whenever I go to http://inbox.com, including my local weather conditions and a "personal" greeting with my first name (presumably all saved in a cookie) and a notation of how many new messages I had in my inbox.com email. So, as far as i can tell, it essentially IS inbox.com, simply going under a different domain name, although I too was able to open a new email account @crawler.com, with the same user name as my inbox.com account.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2006, 02:00 PM   #9
CyberSmurf

I notice that the Privacy Policy and Terms of Service are almost identical. Same dates as well.

From the user's point of view, I guess the only factor is whether you prefer an @inbox.com or @crawler.com address.

Or, if your preferred username is taken at inbox.com, then you can sign up at crawler.com and get the same service.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 10:31 PM   #10
jdtaylor
Master of the @

It does ask the question why don't they offer the choice of either domain when singing up, so they just need one signup system the lot, this to me would make life much simpler.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2006, 10:45 AM   #11
CyberSmurf

I notice that message sent from @crawler.com contain headers saying "inbox.com".

I've changed the server for my @crawler.com account to "my.inbox.com", and it works fine.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 06:56 AM   #12
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Is anyone else having trouble logging into their inbox.com email account? I've had no trouble logging into my crawler.com account just now, but I've been getting the following error message for awhile now, while trying to log into my inbox.com email:
Quote:
Sorry, this service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 07:12 AM   #13
nbarr

Quote:
Originally posted by xmailer
Is anyone else having trouble logging into their inbox.com email account? I've had no trouble logging into my crawler.com account just now, but I've been getting the following error message for awhile now, while trying to log into my inbox.com email:
Quote:
Sorry, this service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
Just signed in to inbox.com now without any problems.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2006, 07:43 AM   #14
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarr
Just signed in to inbox.com now without any problems.
It's still not working for me. But thanks for the feedback.

Edit: I've just noticed that Challenge/Response was apparently turned on by default for my crawler.com account, which I don't recall being the case when I first opened my inbox.com account. But then, I can't say I can even recall for certain whether inbox.com had that option available at the time I opened my account there, probably something over a year ago now, if not closer to a year and a half ago.

Last edited by xmailer : 19 Sep 2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 01:46 AM   #15
CyberSmurf

taglines

I just noticed that messages sent from webmail for an @crawler.com address contain taglines, while those for an @inbox.com address do not.