EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 1 Feb 2007, 09:04 AM   #1
frogger09

Hy anybody know worldpost.eu 2.5 GB email

Hy Guys,

anybody here what know the www.worldpost.eu 2.5 GB Email Service, its based on Gmail ?
Can any where tells me where this can dooooo ???

Thanks

Frogger 09
frogger09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Feb 2007, 01:40 PM   #2
unhappysoul
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Hy anybody know worldpost.eu 2.5 GB email

Quote:
Originally posted by frogger09
Hy Guys,

anybody here what know the www.worldpost.eu 2.5 GB Email Service, its based on Gmail ?
Can any where tells me where this can dooooo ???

Thanks

Frogger 09
No idea, IF based on gmail then I'll just use gmail...
unhappysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
It claims that the mail is powered by google. If you would lump google as the same as gmail, which could mean differently elsewhere. The only way is open a free account since it is free.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2007, 03:51 PM   #4
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
I think it's based on google's free domain mail hosting.is it?
jeffpan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2007, 06:40 PM   #5
alexu2000

As far as I know Google,s Apps for your domain (including mail hosting) allow only 50 accounts per domain and doesn't have automatic account creation.

And also, mailboxes offered by Gmail trough their Google Apps are limited to 2 Gb disk space, and it's not growing.

So, I doubt that this domain use Gmail's Apps.

Edited later: it seems that indeed, this domain use Gmail's servers for incoming mail. It might be a custom sollution from Google? Also, another interesting fact is that worldpost.eu has only one MX server listed at their DNS (for comparition: Gmail Apps gives you 5 MX records to add to your DNS). Very unusual setup....

Edited more later: I signed up for an account. Adter filling up the form I received an message that registration was successfull but that I have to wait up to 24 hours for my account to be activated. This means that the account is created manually. Also, When I tryed to login I was redirected to the usual Google Apps' login page.

So, indeed, this service use Google Apps. I'll get back with more info after my account will be activated.

Last edited by alexu2000 : 1 Feb 2007 at 06:54 PM.
alexu2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Feb 2007, 12:27 AM   #6
alexu2000

I got an account from worldpost.edu. It's the standard Google Apps email service, with only 2 Gb of disk space.
Old 2 Feb 2007, 05:33 AM   #7
frogger09

hm so this can do with every domain i have ?
frogger09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Feb 2007, 06:00 AM   #8
idealist
Essential Contributor

Yes frogger you can do this with one of your domains by signing up for Google Apps for Your Domain, but i don't think google allows multiple domain accounts.

So you create your own webmail for your domain. Then someone comes to this forum and post 'hey, has anyone seen this new webmail that looks like gmail, frogger09.com' ?
idealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Feb 2007, 08:15 AM   #9
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by idealist
Yes frogger you can do this with one of your domains by signing up for Google Apps for Your Domain, but i don't think google allows multiple domain accounts.
Meaning one user can only apply for one domain?
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Feb 2007, 08:45 AM   #10
idealist
Essential Contributor

well actually i'm not sure about whether one user is technically allowed to set up more than one BYOD account per google's TOS. in fact, i find that google's wording about who can even use BYOD is not especially clear.

but it's definite that one person can host only one domain in each administration account. so if the administrator sets up multiple accounts for multiple domains, he/she will have to sign into multiple accounts to administer the domains.

It can be done all through one interface if you just want to use your other domains as an alias, per google:

Quote:
Can I add domain aliases in my control panel?

Yes! You can add several domains aliases to your Google Apps account. Each domain that you add will function with your current set of user accounts. For example, if you are logged in to your control panel for stevebradford.com, and you add stevebradford.org as a domain alias, mail addressed to stevebradford.org will be directed to your existing user accounts for stevebradford.com.

This feature allows you to set up forwarding in your control panel rather than asking each user at your domain to configure auto-forwarding individually across several accounts.
Old 2 Feb 2007, 08:48 AM   #11
alexu2000

idealist, where did you get the information that this service is limited to one domain per user? From their TOS:
Quote:
1.1 "Customer Domain Name(s)" means the domain name(s) owned by Customer and approved by Google for use with the Service (as defined below).
Quote:
1.5 "Hosted Communication Services" means the hosted services provided by Google hereunder that provide Customer with Google-hosted End User Accounts for its End Users for the purpose of (i) enabling End Users to send and receive email and/or instant messages at one or more Customer Domain Names and (ii) any other functionality, products and/or services that Google may provide from time to time as part of the Hosted Communication Services, as applicable.
Quote:
Customer is solely responsible for monitoring, responding to, and otherwise processing emails sent to the "abuse" and "postmaster" aliases for Customer Domain Name(s); however, Customer acknowledges and agrees that Google may also monitor, respond to or otherwise process emails sent to such aliases for Customer Domain Name(s).
I wasn't able to find any refference to a limit of one domain per user, and all the TOS is written using the plural of the word "domain" and this means that is refering to multiple domains owned by the user.

Last edited by alexu2000 : 2 Feb 2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 2 Feb 2007, 09:11 AM   #12
idealist
Essential Contributor

sorry, alex, my first post was not clear and i didn't mean to cause a stir. thanks for the input. i do think google needs to spell everything out more clearly for potential BYOD customers.

The use of "domain(s)" in the TOS doesn't prove the "multiple-use allowed" theory without a doubt, though, based on the fact that google does aliasing (per above). but you're most likely right about it being ok.

also, a little tip for anyone still to sign up: ask for more mailboxes. in my experience, if you ask for under 50, google will give you 50, ask for more and you may get 100... (just my experience, YMMV)
Old 2 Feb 2007, 09:23 AM   #13
alexu2000

Yes, you are right about the number of mailboxes. Even in their support group they say that you can contact them later and ask them more mailboxes and usually they modify the limit.

Regarding the mailboxes number... I am happy with 50 I use my domain only for family and personal stuff and I have only 12 accounts opened. I don't think I'll ever touch the 50 limit

Anyway, in case you want to use Google Apps for a small company or small organization, you can ask from start for 100 mailboxes and if you need more, you can always ask for more later
Old 2 Feb 2007, 09:45 AM   #14
idealist
Essential Contributor

yeah, sounds good. i agree with you alex -- i'll probably never use more than 50 accounts (more addresses mean more complication to me), but it's good to know we have the option...

Is anyone here using an alias for their own domain? I'm trying to wrap my brain around what google wrote, so that it makes useful sense to me. Google wrote:

Quote:
Each domain that you add will function with your current set of user accounts. For example, if you are logged in to your control panel for stevebradford.com, and you add stevebradford.org as a domain alias, mail addressed to stevebradford.org will be directed to your existing user accounts for stevebradford.com.
OK, if it works exactly as described, I don't see the advantage of having an alias in google. I know that normally people use an alias so that they can give out the alias name and then delete it and create a new alias when it starts gathering spam, without touching the mailbox and email address where mail actually goes.

But the example above makes it sound like the two are always connected and the alias always automatically forwards to its corresponding account. So what happens when the alias starts to get spam? You have to change the mailbox to change the alias?

Google then writes:

Quote:
This feature allows you to set up forwarding in your control panel rather than asking each user at your domain to configure auto-forwarding individually across several accounts.
I'm not sure what this means exactly, since I don't have aliasing set up at google. I would hope we have more control than just a "dumb" forward to its corresponding account. Does anyone know exactly how google aliases work?
Old 2 Feb 2007, 10:38 AM   #15
alexu2000

From what I understood, aliases are used like this:

- if you have an organisation, you might want to buy all tld's for this name: organisation.com, organisation.net and organisation.org

- then you can setup organisation.net and organisation.org to work as aliases of organisation.com

- then, the emails sent to alex@organisation.net and alex@organisation.org are redirected automatically to alex@organisation.com

Quote:
But the example above makes it sound like the two are always connected and the alias always automatically forwards to its corresponding account. So what happens when the alias starts to get spam? You have to change the mailbox to change the alias?
I think that yes, they are always connected. Not sure, but this what I understood from their info.