EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 7 Aug 2023, 06:28 PM   #31
dryoldlime

Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
Any updates on how AOL mail service has evolved lately?
How evolved? I remember a few years ago emails and message open in only one window or one display. Upon looking at some messages yesterday, I could find messages were opening in separate tabs; even messages to compose. (That is, the webmail interface of AOL - and Yahoo too.)
dryoldlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2023, 05:43 AM   #32
RFK
Essential Contributor

By the way, AOL does not support @aim.com alias for new accounts.
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2023, 05:48 AM   #33
RFK
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryoldlime View Post
Not seem to be so. I tried using Thunderbird a few days ago and some problem with one of the accounts; I believe an AOL, but I'll have to go back and check on it again (unless I removed the account). I have a new account (Yahoo) I might try using just to test it on T-bird.

Both Yahoo and AOL work with Thunderbird using OAUTH2. No separate application password required.
Old 8 Aug 2023, 06:05 AM   #34
dryoldlime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK View Post
Both Yahoo and AOL work with Thunderbird using OAUTH2. No separate application password required.
I'll need to go back and recheck on this; through actually trying and see what happens. I HAVE had trouble the last few months will some accounts not working with Thunderbird.
Old 9 Aug 2023, 05:18 PM   #35
Bamb0
Master of the @

I had a .aim account and AOL deleted it,im not sure why........
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2023, 08:41 PM   #36
dryoldlime

Quote:
Quote:
I'll need to go back and recheck on this; through actually trying and see what happens. I HAVE had trouble the last few months will some accounts not working with Thunderbird.
I checked. Yes, Thunderbird right now on my machine has a GMail and an AOL, and is handling both of them well. Might have I made a prescribed adjustment procedure several months ago, AND WITHOUT any "app password".
Old 9 Aug 2023, 08:44 PM   #37
dryoldlime

Quote:
How evolved? I remember a few years ago emails and message open in only one window or one display. Upon looking at some messages yesterday, I could find messages were opening in separate tabs; even messages to compose. (That is, the webmail interface of AOL - and Yahoo too.)
Actually to open messages in tabs or not is one of the settings for AOL.

Another evolution to AOL is now creating an account requires a mobile phone number.
Old 10 Aug 2023, 06:18 AM   #38
RFK
Essential Contributor

Quote:

Another evolution to AOL is now creating an account requires a mobile phone number.
Same for Yahoo.
Not a big issue today. You can use various virtual number services.
Old 10 Aug 2023, 07:06 AM   #39
dryoldlime

Quote:
Same for Yahoo.
Not a big issue today. You can use various virtual number services.
There are many YouTube video presentations indicating that the many virtual phone numbers fail for a person to achieve email account verification. Probably a logical or practical reason how they fail, but not something I know with any exactness nor technical insight.

But the now current requirement for at least on AOL and on Yahoo is that account creation requires a mobile number. Used to be a few years ago, neither Yahoo or AOL required such mobile number. I made a few email accounts on each, and never gave any mobile number.

Someone today has a couple choices:
  • If account is important then need to have a mobile number, and USE IT in account creation/verification tor AOL or Yahoo.
  • If still need or want an option not to give mobile number, then make an account on Proton Mail.