EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 12 Jul 2007, 08:40 AM   #1
shauntp

Any free email adress ending in .org?

Hi,
Does anyone know of a free email service providing email addresses ending in .org. It would be good if the gave you a choice like example@a-choice-from-a-range-of-things.org but not as important as it ending in .org! Please do NOT mention: swissinfo.org or linuxmail.org.

Thanks
shauntp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Jul 2007, 08:50 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Welcome to the forums shauntp. I can't think of any providers that meet that criteria offhand, but you could register a .org domain yourself and use virtual hosting (many webmail companies allow you to host your domain with them) - some possibly let you do it for free. Then you could choose any email address you want. Google apps used to let you do this for free but I think they are charging now. Could anyone provide further info on this?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 09:19 AM   #3
zhak
Master of the @

Fastmail has many domains to choose from including about a dozen *.org domains. But the free guest accounts are fairly limited in storage and bandwidth, but after using it, you may like it and want to upgrade. Google Apps offers free email hosting for your domain. As David said, you can buy your own *.org domain. I recommend Namecheap, less than $9/yr with free WhoIsGuard, which hides your name, address, and telephone numbers from WhoIs queries -- shows Namecheap as the contact instead.

Google Apps is still free, they just also released a paid version in February.

And welcome to the EMD forums.

-Jim
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 09:22 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Thanks Jim: I use namecheap as well, and highly recommend them over some of the others.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 09:24 AM   #5
zhak
Master of the @

I should thank you, I choose them after reading some of your posts when I first joined.
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 04:03 PM   #6
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Otherwise for a small one off donation Port88.org may well do more than what you need but you should check them out at http://www.port88.org as they are currently Exchange based which gives the extra premium features of that which you don't normally get from any other service provider.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 04:32 AM   #7
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

.orgs

I know of 2 free .orgs, both are free Everyone.net accounts and have been around a long time. First there is www.333.org, a very easy to remember address, and a less well known one that looks non-functional but still is as far as I have used it: www.zy8.org

Zy8's front page is broken, so if you register an account there, you will have to login via the Everyone.net default login page.
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 08:51 PM   #8
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Email View Post
I know of 2 free .orgs, both are free Everyone.net accounts and have been around a long time. First there is www.333.org, a very easy to remember address, and a less well known one that looks non-functional but still is as far as I have used it: www.zy8.org

Zy8's front page is broken, so if you register an account there, you will have to login via the Everyone.net default login page.
Hehehe...I was waiting for you, King of Email, to make a contribution to this thread. How do you find all these free services?

--Marc

Last edited by marc_otten : 13 Jul 2007 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Corrected some typos
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 11:17 PM   #9
The Storm
Essential Contributor

No-one has mentioned LoneStar/FreeShell so I thought I would, tho I don't know if they still offer free email (I'm sure they do)
http://sdf.lonestar.org/index.cgi

I guess if you also have an interest in UNIX or TelNet that would help as it appears what the service is based around?
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 11:36 PM   #10
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Storm View Post
No-one has mentioned LoneStar/FreeShell so I thought I would, tho I don't know if they still offer free email (I'm sure they do)
http://sdf.lonestar.org/index.cgi

I guess if you also have an interest in UNIX or TelNet that would help as it appears what the service is based around?
Yes, they are still in operation I think. I cancelled my account about a year ago. They had a Webmail interface at that time but it was rarely operational. It's a one man show (I opened an account mostly so I could use Mutt via a shell) I would not recommend the service.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 05:40 PM   #11
guest2k

www.catholic.org
guest2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2007, 11:55 PM   #12
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I couldn't see where one could get a free email address ending in catholic.org. Is it possibile?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 12:22 AM   #13
nbarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Yes, they are still in operation I think. I cancelled my account about a year ago. They had a Webmail interface at that time but it was rarely operational. It's a one man show (I opened an account mostly so I could use Mutt via a shell) I would not recommend the service.
I have had a Freeshell account since May 2006 and have never known them to be down, although I admit I don't make heavy use of the account. My usage has been entirely IMAP so I couldn't say anything about the Webmail interface.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 06:50 AM   #14
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
I couldn't see where one could get a free email address ending in catholic.org. Is it possibile?
Click on the Email link at the top of the main page, which brings you to the webmail login page, where there's a signup button/link beneath the login area. Or go directly to the signup page here.

I used to have an account there, but never really made any use of it. I was fairly regularly "accosted" by religious/political "spam" (at least that's what it was to me) from the organization itself to my alternate email address, which was too high a price for me for a 50 MB squirrelmail-based email account. Although I believe they do have POP3 access as well, which might make it worthwhile for some.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 10:55 AM   #15
William9
The "e" in e-mail

xmailer,
Thanks.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote