EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 23 Jun 2020, 10:19 PM   #16
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
We use them for our business and I’ve never had an issue.
I think it works great for a business where your personal name is associated with what you do: writer, real estate agent, politician, etc. Most people will have a very tough time purchasing a domain name that matches their last name, unless you have something unusual and/or you use an obscure TLD. My two cents is to avoid adding things like numbers or other words to your name to find something that is available to purchase. Look at what all the big companies do--they have names that are short and memorable, even if they aren't commonly known or used words: Google, Apple, Microsoft, Roku, Amazon, etc. They also tend to be easy to spell. In some cases they do tell you about the company, which is an extra bonus: Fastmail, Salesforce, Paychex.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2020, 11:23 PM   #17
Cory
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I think it works great for a business where your personal name is associated with what you do: writer, real estate agent, politician, etc. Most people will have a very tough time purchasing a domain name that matches their last name, unless you have something unusual and/or you use an obscure TLD. My two cents is to avoid adding things like numbers or other words to your name to find something that is available to purchase. Look at what all the big companies do--they have names that are short and memorable, even if they aren't commonly known or used words: Google, Apple, Microsoft, Roku, Amazon, etc. They also tend to be easy to spell. In some cases they do tell you about the company, which is an extra bonus: Fastmail, Salesforce, Paychex.
I have an uncommon last name. Sorry should have wrote out for OP first@doesmail......
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2020, 12:12 AM   #18
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
Thanks, yeah I've looked at quite a few names down through the years and finally picked a few domains that I liked. Not any four letter ones such as yours, although I did acquire my name (John Doe) @usa.com and (J Doe) @mail.com as well as (John Doe) @email.com. My actual real name is pretty common, although not as common as johndoe.

So I have some decent names, I'm just trying to pare them down and use my actual domains more exclusively.

Was wondering whether a domain name that listed an area in the country or a name associated with actual email would be more preferable?

Thanks again....
Mail.com has some really nice domain extentions. I would probably go with @mail.com, @email.com or @post.com although if those would be taken then a geographical area domain isn't bad neither. However, are you sure Mail.com is reliable as a provider. I can recall some less positive comments on the forums about them (as well as some positive comments of course)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2020, 10:02 PM   #19
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Mail.com has some really nice domain extentions. I would probably go with @mail.com, @email.com or @post.com although if those would be taken then a geographical area domain isn't bad neither. However, are you sure Mail.com is reliable as a provider. I can recall some less positive comments on the forums about them (as well as some positive comments of course)
Yeah, I think they're fairly reliable. I doubt they're going anywhere anytime soon, and their service has been pretty good. Now if you need a top business level email account you might want to go elsewhere, but for everyday mail I think you should be OK.

They offer an upper level of service if you pay around $25.00 or $30.00 per year but I am still using the free level as it's all I really need.

I use K9 mail on my cell and all of my mail.com accounts seem to work fine.

As I said earlier, I really like the names such as mail.com or email.com or usa.com, and even the one you mentioned, post.com. So all really good names and for all I need they're a great value I think.
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote