EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 12 Feb 2015, 03:45 AM   #46
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Using pobox would I be restricted to using other services that permitted changing FROM addresses to pobox? Not all services permit changing the FROM address
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2015, 05:40 AM   #47
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
Using pobox would I be restricted to using other services that permitted changing FROM addresses to pobox? Not all services permit changing the FROM address
When I last used Pobox, if you purchased a 'forwarding only' account, you received three email alias addresses (of your choice) at Pobox.com, so the answer to your question is 'no'
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2015, 06:08 AM   #48
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks David for the info. I was thinking my address would be user at pobox and I would have to change the FROM address on all my other addresses to user at pobox. in order to use pobox
Old 12 Feb 2015, 06:48 AM   #49
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Thanks David for the info. I was thinking my address would be user at pobox and I would have to change the FROM address on all my other addresses to user at pobox. in order to use pobox
Yes, my emailaddress is user@pobox.com and I changed my FROM address on all my email accounts.
This has been working flawlessly for me since I joined Pobox (2001)
I don't know what email account you are using but Fastmail, Gmail, Runbox and Eumx let you do this change easily
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2015, 07:59 AM   #50
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
When I last using Pobox I was also using Fastmail. My Fastmail account was set up so I had an alias (and a personality) set up for my Pobox address (my Pobox account was set up to forward to Fastmail) When I clicked on 'reply' (at Fastmail) the from address would switch to the correct 'from address' automatically.

there are various ways you can work it I think
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2015, 08:34 AM   #51
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks odedp and David for your help. Think I understand it now.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 08:23 PM   #52
miguelm

Hi,
I have a question, what do you think it will be the difference between using a service like pobox vs using a free service like zoho with your own domain?
thank you
miguelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2015, 08:44 PM   #53
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelm View Post
Hi,
I have a question, what do you think it will be the difference between using a service like pobox vs using a free service like zoho with your own domain?
thank you
You can use Pobox also with your own domain.
Before joining Pobox I used a free forwarding service (Bigfoot) and had a lot of problems.
I don't trust anymore free services.
The small fee I pay Pobox is definitely worthwhile.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 10:57 PM   #54
miguelm

I did create a trial account at pobox because of this topic, since I realized that the service could be interested for me

But, I have just realized of something, if we decide not to renew the service or if for some reason your account is disable, your username will be available for register by any other user after 60 days, did I understood it correctly???

in my opinion this is a huge security issue, not even a free service like gmail releases your username.... to avoid it to be reused

it means, if you signup for a pobox account and if you want to use the pobox domain it's better that you be prepared to never stop paying for the account for the rest of your live.

Last edited by miguelm : 17 Feb 2015 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 17 Feb 2015, 11:20 PM   #55
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
I did create a trial account at pobox because of this topic, since I realized that the service could be interested for me

But, I have just realized of something, if we decide not to renew the service or if for some reason your account is disable, your username will be available for register by any other user after 60 days, did I understood it correctly???

in my opinion this is a huge security issue, not even a free service like gmail releases your username.... to avoid it to be reused

it means, if you signup for a pobox account and if you want to use the pobox domain it's better that you be prepared to never stop paying for the account for the rest of your live.
You can always use Pobox with your own domain.
This way, there is no ptoblem if you want to close your Pobox account.
As for me, I use a Pobox domain for the last 15 years and will continue doing so.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 11:34 PM   #56
miguelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
You can always use Pobox with your own domain.
This way, there is no ptoblem if you want to close your Pobox account.
As for me, I use a Pobox domain for the last 15 years and will continue doing so.
yes, your correct, but that does not solve the issue of releasing the pobox username to be available to be reused by anyone else

unless your willing to use your own domain, for me pobox service will lack of security measures to protect his customers
Old 17 Feb 2015, 11:42 PM   #57
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
yes, your correct, but that does not solve the issue of releasing the pobox username to be available to be reused by anyone else

unless your willing to use your own domain, for me pobox service will lack of security measures to protect his customers
I see your point, but:
Let's say you own a gmail account myaddress@gmail.com.
And let's say one day you decide to close your account.
Are you sure gmail will never let anyone take the username myaddress?
I doubt it...
Besides, if you plan to close your gmail (or pobox) account, before you do it you tell all your addressees that you have a new email address which is......
So where's the problem?

Last edited by odedp : 18 Feb 2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 04:41 AM   #58
miguelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
I see your point, but:
Let's say you own a gmail account myaddress@gmail.com.
And let's say one day you decide to close your account.
Are you sure gmail will never let anyone take the username myaddress?
I doubt it...
Besides, if you plan to close your gmail (or pobox) account, before you do it you tell all your addressees that you have a new email address which is......
So where's the problem?
Hi,

yes, I am sure that Google does have a strong policy regarding used usernames, they don't allow them to be reused, if you disable your Gmail account, no one will ever be able to reuse it again, that's their current policy

For me this is very important, a provider that protects the usernames shows that they are very professionals and that they know what they are doing, a reused username can have a huge negative impact on a old customer

my problem is, if I start using a pobox.com username for some years, and if I decide to discontinue the email address, for me it will be very hard to update that email address, in email accounts that I have discontinue some years ago, sometimes I still receive emails that I am interested, but this is just my personal view about this topic.

Last edited by miguelm : 18 Feb 2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 04:54 AM   #59
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Hi,

yes, I am sure that Google does have a strong policy regarding used usernames, they don't allow them to be reused, if you disable your Gmail account, no one will ever be able to reuse it again, that's their current policy

For me this is very important, a provider that protects the usernames shows that their are very professionals and that they know what they are doing, a reused username can have a huge negative impact on a old customer
I'm not sure I get you...
If you close your gmail account you must have opened a new account with a new emailaddress.
You also must have notified all your addressees about your new email address.
So why should you care if someone else starts using an email address which was once yours, but currently none of your addressees sends mail to this address anymore.
And like I've said, if this bothers you just get yourself a domain (less then $10 per year) and rest assured that your current email address will go with you regardless how many times you change your email accounts (provided you continue paying for your domain.)
Old 18 Feb 2015, 05:22 AM   #60
odedp
Master of the @

Miguel,

I have just read this:
http://www.buzzwebtips.com/recycled-email-account/
So regarding Gmail it seems you're right but as for Yahoo and Hotmail see for yourself...
One more thing: I've already said I don't trust free services!
No one can guarantee that sometime in the future they won't change their policy and allow recycling deleted usernames.
Get yourself a domain and your problem is solved!