EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 18 Feb 2015, 05:32 AM   #61
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

The problem with Google's no-recycle policy is all "good" usernames are forever lost. I have a username I want but can't can't get either because the owner doesn't want to reply or has already abandoned the account (or is dead). Either way I can't ever acquire that username due to Google's IMO foolish policy.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2015, 05:41 AM   #62
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
The problem with Google's no-recycle policy is all "good" usernames are forever lost. I have a username I want but can't can't get either because the owner doesn't want to reply or has already abandoned the account (or is dead). Either way I can't ever acquire that username due to Google's IMO foolish policy.
I also see no point in the "no recycle" policy.
If I don't want anymore my account and delete it there is no reason why (after a certain period) someone elase shouldn't be able to get "my" (used to be) username.
There is no problem getting domains which were not renewed by their owners.
Why should things be different with emailaddresses?
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2015, 02:18 PM   #63
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Because senders continue to use your old address (despite you sending a notice of change) and those messages will go to the new owner. You may not want that. It's better to have them rejected so that the sender knows the message didn't reach you and your address has changed.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2015, 02:22 PM   #64
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
Because senders continue to use your old address (despite you sending a notice of change) and those messages will go to the new owner. You may not want that. It's better to have them rejected so that the sender knows the message didn't reach you and your address has changed.
That's another reason to get a domain and make sure you have one emailaddress for life!!
Old 18 Feb 2015, 03:49 PM   #65
ankupan

Very true.

Having own domain have several benefits.

1. Move or switch to any service.
2. get any user name.

I have my own domain and some time using google apps, or Office 365, some time I put on pobox.com and on rackspace email too.

but my email id is same always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
That's another reason to get a domain and make sure you have one emailaddress for life!!
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2015, 03:33 PM   #66
pkeenan

pobox.com / Password issues

Has anyone with a pobox.com account experienced any issues getting locked out of their email due to repeated password attempts? I recently had it happen with this service and it was one of the more frustrating events I've gone through. It seems (according to pobox.com) that one of my devices (I only have two) was making repeated attempts to change my pobox.com password. Their system automatically locks you out. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it but was curious if anyone else had this issue? I keep thinking they're having a DDOS attack and won't fess up. Thanks. Peter
pkeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2015, 03:52 PM   #67
ankupan

Have you raised support ticket ?

put message on twitter also.

I am using them web daily basis and never problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeenan View Post
Has anyone with a pobox.com account experienced any issues getting locked out of their email due to repeated password attempts? I recently had it happen with this service and it was one of the more frustrating events I've gone through. It seems (according to pobox.com) that one of my devices (I only have two) was making repeated attempts to change my pobox.com password. Their system automatically locks you out. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it but was curious if anyone else had this issue? I keep thinking they're having a DDOS attack and won't fess up. Thanks. Peter
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2015, 04:11 AM   #68
pkeenan

po

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankupan View Post

Hi ankupan, Yes many support tickets the first time on top of Twitter. I go back to this company to I think 1996. Long, solid history. Originally only used them as a forwarder and then joined their webmail a while back. It's been a very odd set of circumstances. My IP get's blacklisted within their system due to what they say is too many password attempts. It takes a while for it to come back to life. I was just curious if anyone else was having these types of issues. I cannot understand their excuse due to the fact that I have no reason to change a password out of the blue or make an attempt to access my email with the wrong password. My wife had the same issues. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it. For now, I have sent them my IP address to make sure it's Whitelisted. Thanks, Peter
Old 30 Apr 2015, 08:34 PM   #69
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankupan View Post

I have a pobox account since 2001 and never had a password issue.
As a matter of fact during all these years I hardly had any issues regarding my account.
Old 1 May 2015, 05:58 AM   #70
pkeenan

pobox.com/SPAM issues now

Oh Boy, Got a notice from Cloudmark via pobox.com stating that some emails that I'm trading business info with (I'm currently on a freelance job) is a known SPAMMER. They cut off my outgoing email on pobox.com. I cannot figure out what is going on? I have a virus checker with no flags on the play. Some of the addresses are personal company domains.
Old 13 May 2017, 10:24 PM   #71
PeterB

Closing pobox account after 12 years

I started with pobox in 2003, because I wanted a "lifetime" address. Then I found how good their spam filter was, and soon found a use for aliases.
Their service was impeccable . . . until they were taken over by Fastmail in November. Within months I was having syncing issues and getting error messages. I checked all my IMAP settings, but could find nothing wrong. My IT guru investigated and concluded that the problems were caused by slow response times of the pobox SMTP server.
Pobox initially denied having such problems. I continued to have intermittent problems. I told pobox to lift their game or I would close the account having been a faithful customer for 12 years. No improvement in their SMTP servedr response time, so I told them I would not renew my account.
Their reaction was swift. They admitted a problem that morning with their SMPT server. Would I check this, that, and the other and report back, please?. I said no - I've wasted enough time. In fact, give me a refund for my last year's subscription and $100 for the inconvenience you caused me. I'm waiting for their response.

I suspect that Fastmail are milking pobox as a cash cow. Everything was OK before they bought pobox.

Is any one else with pobox? And are you having any problems?
PeterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 11:47 PM   #72
TenFour
Master of the @

I've only been with POBox for a few months, but so far it has been totally reliable with no issues whatsoever. I am just using the Basic level that forwards to my Gmail, and I have Gmail set up to send using the POBox SMTP server. That has been totally reliable as far as I can tell. I have two domains with about 8 different addresses being forwarded this way. Note that I just last night read a blog post from FastMail about the migration of their servers from one datacenter to another, and that there may have been some service impact from that move.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 12:55 AM   #73
TenFour
Master of the @

I just sent and received a few test emails via my POBox Basic account and there seemed to be no unusual delay. The sent emails arrived at my other account within a few seconds.

It's a discussion for another thread, but frankly I have often had issues with IMAP syncing using various email providers and various apps. The issues seem to come and go--I'm sure there are deep explanations, but it seems to be the nature of the beast.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 08:12 AM   #74
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
No, do not recognize this. Member since 2012.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 02:54 PM   #75
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post

I'm a Pobox member since 2001.
Never had any problems or major issues.
I've recommended Pobox to some of my friends who joined and are very satisfied too.