EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Apr 2010, 11:31 PM   #1
sync00

Anyone have 50 or more email addresses?

I use a Disposable Email Address service. Every time I give my email address to a web site I create a DEA just for them. I have over 100 DEAs.

I've been thinking of bringing this functionality into FM but I'm not sure how feasible it is since FM isn't optimized for that.

So I'm checking to see if anyone else is doing this and how it is working out.
sync00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Apr 2010, 04:17 AM   #2
akorvemaker
Master of the @

I have a catch-all address for my domain. When I sign up, it's often with something like company@mydomain.com. In theory, if I had problems with an address I could just create a block for that address. So I effectively have unlimited email addresses.

That said, I've never had any real problems that I'm aware of. If anything's being spammed, FM's spam filter just catches it.

Andy
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2010, 01:05 PM   #3
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Angry

I have used disposable addresses with my Yahoo! Mail account. I am using them less often now since spam filters do a great job. However, I did note that one of my disposable addresses -- the address that I used for my Wall Street Journal account is now used heavily by spammers.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2010, 04:54 AM   #4
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Thumbs up Yes!

I do.

FM is GREAT for this.

See the DisposableAddresses wiki page , which I just updated.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2010, 06:12 AM   #5
Sherry

Since Rob has already opened the DEA discussion to us it would sure be nice if he followed though with it "soon". I think there were so many wanting it to work like some of the major services that it may have turned into a bigger project than Rob was planning on? I'd sure be happy if he just put in the Basic one he talked about to at least get it started instead worrying about it being as good as others who do only DEA's so naturally they have the time to just work on features for their services. I think our DEA's could be like our File Storage. It can do Web Sites but it's not full featured, just an extra for us. If someone wanted something more featured for web sites or DEA's they could use a specialized service for it. All this is JIMHO

The Full Thread (many pages)

Rob saying he may do a basic version (way back in Aug 2007)

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2010, 10:59 PM   #6
sync00

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
I have used disposable addresses with my Yahoo! Mail account. I am using them less often now since spam filters do a great job. However, I did note that one of my disposable addresses -- the address that I used for my Wall Street Journal account is now used heavily by spammers.
I've received spam at DEAs used with several reputable companies. I suspect that employees in these companies stole the addresses and sold them to spammers. Or perhaps the companies were hacked and it was stolen that way.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 11:00 PM   #7
sync00

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvey View Post
I do.

FM is GREAT for this.

See the DisposableAddresses wiki page , which I just updated.
After reading that link I actually got the impression that FM is not great for this.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 11:04 PM   #8
sync00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Since Rob has already opened the DEA discussion to us it would sure be nice if he followed though with it "soon".
The impression I get is that most people would not use DEAs. So even though I would like to see this in FM, I wonder if it would actually add value for very many FM users.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 11:13 PM   #9
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Not great, I agree....

Both the Subdomain Addressing and Plus Addressing reveal your real address, which can be abused later on (talking from a victim's perspective....).
The FM Wiki page referred to contains suggestions how DEA's could be be implemented, but nothing concrete has been done, or promised to be done, by FM.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2010, 04:11 AM   #10
JRobert
Master of the @

I'm using made-up-on-the-fly DEAs right now, using subdomain addressing, and am quite happy with the result. In a couple of years' use, I've only had to shut off one of them. I just created an alias unrelated to my primary address and hand out <made-up-name>@<alias>.<fastmaildomain>. All the management I need is for me to remember (in a list on my disk or FM file storage / in KeePass / in a notebook) what address I gave company-X in case I'm starting a new email to them.
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 08:22 PM   #11
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

I use Spamgourmet

Until I trust any given service, I don't want them going anywhere near my real domain (ie I don't use sub-domain addressing for it).

J.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2010, 05:50 AM   #12
JRobert
Master of the @

I used Spamgourmet for quite a while, but it eventually got overloaded (by spammers' retaliatory DoS attacks, I assume) and mail started taking from 10 min to 4 hours or more to get forwarded to me. They're an excellent service, other than that; apparently victims of their own success.
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2010, 03:57 AM   #13
EvilPeppard
Essential Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync00 View Post
I use a Disposable Email Address service. Every time I give my email address to a web site I create a DEA just for them. I have over 100 DEAs.

I've been thinking of bringing this functionality into FM but I'm not sure how feasible it is since FM isn't optimized for that.

So I'm checking to see if anyone else is doing this and how it is working out.
I have over 340 aliases I use with Fastmail. I came from GoDaddy years ago who allowed virtually unlimited aliases. That was a concern when I came to FM. Originally I believe FM only allowed 200 aliases. I contacted FM directly via email and got a quick reply stating I would be ok if I went over this number.

To date I have never had an issue with aliases, or any other aspect of FM. That is why I continue to be a paying customer.

Keep it up, FastMail!
EvilPeppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2010, 07:01 AM   #14
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Why aliases?

Do they sever a purpose other than deception?
m46ah_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2010, 07:06 AM   #15
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Do they sever a purpose other than deception?
Aliases can be used to create a shorter email address, useful if one has to give it out over the phone or in writing..
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote