EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 19 Oct 2010, 06:18 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Question Skype question

I decided it was time to clean up my contacts list in Skype (you know, all names and accounts on the left of the conversation screen). The list was full of people I had no contacts with anymore and this includes a few dodgy folks with equally dodgy businesses (hence why, as soon as I realised that, I stopped all contacts). I somehow never took time to remove all those names from Skype and finally did so by right clicking on the name and then select the "remove from contacts list" option.

Now my question: I rather have these names and numbers (some had a skype account but some were regular phone nrs which I called by buying credit for Skype) deleted forever so that I don't stumble upon them anymore. So when you right click a contact's name (regardless if he/she has a Skype account or regular phone nr) and remove it from your contacts list on the left of the Skype window... is the name and account/number deleted forever or is it still lurking somewhere in the trash of your hard drive or in some hidden trash folder with Skype's interface? As said, I want these contacts gone, just not sure if the steps I took are sufficient to have them truly gone?

Also, what are the options (also on the left of the conversation screen) for to call a normal phone nr for free, and the second one being to call a regular phone number? First of all both sound quite identical, but also, I thought you could not call regular phones (landlines and mobiles) without buying credit first? Although my main concern is if those removed contacts are truly gone or not.

Last edited by Tsunami : 19 Oct 2010 at 06:31 AM.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Oct 2010, 12:38 AM   #2
JRobert
Master of the @

"Truly gone" from your hard disk usually requires deleting the trash and any virtual-memory file, then erasing the free space.
"Truly gone" from Skype's servers may be beyond users' control. I'm not sure what data Skype keeps on its users' behalf, but one's contact list sounds like a good candidate. Who knows what / how many old versions might be lying around on there servers.
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2010, 01:05 AM   #3
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

I'd be surprised if there is any file on my hard dive from Skype other than the icon on the desktop to connect to Skype ; I'd guess all other data like your contacts and such are stored on their servers rather than on your computer?

I don't really mind they'd have a list of who ever was in my contacts list, as long as I cannot access them anymore then I'm fine with that.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 09:32 PM   #4
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

I was having a hard time figuring out how to delete previoius accounts that I no longer used; and I had even posted on their forum for advice, and followed said advice, and couldn't eliminate my previous usernames that either my children or myself had made in the past and were no longer using. Finally I had to uninstall and re-install Skype to do that.

I find when you remove a contact from skype it still shows in your blocked list, so perhaps you need to write down the info you wish to keep (your usernames you are using, contact lists on all those lists, etc) then uninstall and re-install the program.

Susan
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

That sounds dodgy. Conflicting info. I am concerned now. Are those contacts where I pressed "delete" and confirmed the pop up questioning if I was sure about deleting, gone or not?

The history for wanting to clean up old contacts is too complex to explain and quite irrelevant but it'd be giving piece of mind to know they are gone forever.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 01:57 AM   #6
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Skype has a forum; what about posting there and asking? Maybe one of the developpers can answer and then you will know for sure?

Susan
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote