EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 15 Dec 2005, 12:20 AM   #1
trew
Cornerstone of the Community

Virtual compute makes email secure?

Remember me a comuter dummie so it is my wild guess.

"Virtual compute makes email secure? "

Our sedish version of idg.com has a text about free this product

vmware browser
Unfortunate they want me to use bit torrent. No way!

what does it do? Protect Against Adware and Spyware
they claqim and secure personal info.

(maybe it is similar to the Opera Mini for mobile phone. Would not that one protect too? )

They have cooperated with Mozilla to make a virtual firefox and thus totally secure.

or maybe me not get it.

anyway it is free to try out. Maybe moxilla has more text about the virtual FF.

trew

Last edited by trew : 15 Dec 2005 at 12:56 AM.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Dec 2005, 01:43 AM   #2
theog
= Permanently banned =

Re: Virtual compute makes email secure?

Quote:
Originally posted by trew

what does it do?
If I am reading this correctly, it is the same as my Microsoft Virtual PC.

From what I understand (very limited view). From a security standpoint a virtual PC allows you to download and install programs in the virtual program. So, how do you get a virtual program? You purchase something like Microsoft virtual pc. You install to your computer. With VPC installed you can now install an operating system inside of Virtual PC. The os inside VPC will be like a stand-alone computer. For example, if I have windows xp pro on my desktop, I can install windows 2000 or 98 in virtual pc and play my video games. In addition, I can use vpc to download viruses, cruise “suspect sites,” ect. At the end of my session playing with viruses or cruising suspect sites, I can turn-off the virtual session and tell it not to save the session. All activity during that session is deleted and I am back to my real desktop.

I like virtual pc in that I do not need 3 to 7 old PCs sitting around the house. I had to have one for work (since I had a program that needed adobe acrobat reader 5), one windows 98, windows 2000, windows xp home, xp home with office 2003, etc, etc…. With virtual pc, I can have all these configurations on saved on my computer. Simple click and I’m in that config. I can email or even setup a share with the rest of my network.

Is this safe and foolproof? No. for one, you still need to setup security on the virtual session. You still have to download windows updates. If you do not save the sessions it would be almost impossible (I would think) for a programmer to load a program into the session. Although, you are not totally saved since a keylogger on your main machine would still log your key strokes. However, I’m not sure how this would be registered in you are in a virtual surrounding.

What you really need is a security expert on this matter.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote