EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 7 Jun 2010, 07:36 AM   #1
guillaume
Essential Contributor

Next-generation Yahoo Mail revealed

The news came out a couple weeks ago but it seems I'm the only one to have noticed it. Blake Irving, EVP Yahoo! Products and formely in charge of Windows Live at Microsoft unveils the next Yahoo! Mail Interface.

You will find screenshots and links here.

Main points brought by irving :
- Yahoo! Mail is a killer web app when it comes to social features.
- However the platform is pretty slow right now and not "the best-class client".
- This concept brought to Blake Irving is a "killer app", "very responsive", and "very fast".
- Will be launched "later this year"
guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Jun 2010, 11:20 AM   #2
CyberSaint
Essential Contributor

I wonder if this development has anything to do with their acquistion of Zimbra.
CyberSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2010, 11:22 AM   #3
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I don't know. I'm not seeing anything earthshaking with the new offering.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2010, 11:34 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Something new from Yahoo would be appreciated. I see nothing neither (on the screen shots of the new interface) much different to what is already in place currently.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2010, 12:41 PM   #5
beq
Cornerstone of the Community

Perhaps not as ambitious as Hotmail's reboot, but still... can't complain about (sorely needed) faster performance nor the improvements shown in the pics:

- Yahoo Chat integration no longer behind Gmail (video/voice/phone, separate tabbed window, etc)

- direct links for Attachments and Photos (leveraging Xoopit acquisition?)

- deeper contacts and social features

- Yahoo Calendar tab (in same window)
beq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2010, 11:20 PM   #6
William9
The "e" in e-mail

It is not clear to me. Is Yahoo implying that their current production email service is slow and not best in class -- or are they describing the state of development of their new offering?
Old 8 Jun 2010, 01:07 AM   #7
guillaume
Essential Contributor

@William9 : no they are saying that the current Yahoo! Mail based on Oddpost is pretty slow because it uses lots of Ajax. Blake said this new version is super fast in comparison
Old 8 Jun 2010, 03:28 PM   #8
William9
The "e" in e-mail

That will be good. One of my complaints with current Yahoo mail is the slow/poor scrolling down a list of messages. It seems that each message must load as the user scrolls.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Something new from Yahoo would be appreciated. I see nothing neither (on the screen shots of the new interface) much different to what is already in place currently.
I dont see anything good really either! (If anything not as good)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 06:16 AM   #10
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Any thought of using HTTPS: per default? As long as they don't even offer that option, I won't return to Yahoo. I used it several years, very satisfied. The more they modernised the more I missed the old classic Yahoo.

Also, am I really the only one who doesn't like it when all sorts of services (chats, emails, profile pages etc) are integrated rather than separated? I like email because of its privacy, but if you add a chat option which indicates when you are signed in to your email then what's the difference with Messenger or Skype? Am I really just oldfashioned or not but I quite like the idea when email is just email and nothing more than that. If I want to type some emails, I quite dislike the fact that people can start a chat with me and see that I am online ; if I want to chat I'll just open a Skype session at the same time. But in email, I quite dislike it when people can just start a chat simultaneously ; I quite liked the old school email when it did what it was meant to do (sending emails) without all those other features. At least being signed in to email without people seeing you're online and bothering you with a chat would be nice.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 10:47 AM   #11
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

If that's "old-fashioned", that makes two of us. I have zero interest in having "everything under the sun" integrated with my email account -- perhaps least of all "social networking" crap a la "Buzz", the "new" Hotmail, etc. Cluttering my email with all sorts of things which, to me, have nothing to do with email hardly seems like an "improvement." In fact, I'm more apt to consider it little more than a "gimmick" offered in lieu of real improvements in the email service.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 08:47 PM   #12
guillaume
Essential Contributor

though activated by default those options are forced upon the user who can desactivate them
Old 17 Jun 2010, 09:17 PM   #13
chrisretusn

I must be ancient history. I still use an local e-mail client and receive, send mail Yahoo! Mail using POP3 and SMTP. I rarely log on and use the web interface.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2010, 05:06 AM   #14
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Two things frustrate me most about Yahoo! Mail: the lack of IMAP protocol and the really slow scrolling in a message list. I hope the new version is better.
With POP it's annoying to have tens of "new" messages every day on each computer with an email client. With IMAP, if you've read it on one computer, you've read it on all of them.
Old 20 Jun 2010, 04:28 PM   #15
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
With POP it's annoying to have tens of "new" messages every day on each computer with an email client.
Yes, if you leave them on the server. My choice is to delete them. I only check mail from one of my home computers. On the very odd chance I have to use another computer I made sure that leave on server is set or use the web interface. I realize that is not a practical solution for many, but it works well for me.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote