EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 May 2021, 09:32 PM   #31
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
That's fun, but I'm not persuaded it's actually useful. You could, after all, use the word "duck" or "penguin" to convey the same information more simply!
You say that, but a picture of a duck or penguin is instantly recognisable, whereas the English word only makes immediate sense to those who speak English.

Also, my ducks and penguins like to see something they understand; sometimes one or other may be sitting on my shoulder somewhat like a pirate's parrot.

Squawk!
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 12:08 AM   #32
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Also, my ducks and penguins like to see something they understand; sometimes one or other may be sitting on my shoulder somewhat like a pirate's parrot.

Squawk!
Owls like to see things too!

JeremyNicoll - http://emdpics.somdcomputerguy.com/?...ndEagleOwl.jpg

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 04:36 AM   #33
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Blooming heck ! That's a serious Owl !
Or, for the benefit any avian readers,
"🌺👹⚠️↘️🅰️🧐🦉⚠️"
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 09:50 AM   #34
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Here's another wheeze to defend against inadvertently sending from the default address:

• Create a new folder with the name ""��������⁠��⁠��⁠��������⁠������⁠����⁠��⁠������""
• Select the "Hide if empty" option.
• Drag it to the top of the list.
• Create a rule to move any mail sent from the default address into the new folder.

Now if you accidentally send an e-mail from the default address, that colourful folder immediately appears to alert you, and you can click on "undo" within the 15-seconds allowed.

[Text hightlighted thus was incorrect]

Last edited by Grhm : 30 May 2021 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Highlighting incorrect info
Old 28 May 2021, 06:51 PM   #35
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Here's another wheeze to defend against inadvertently sending from the default address ...:

• Create a new folder with the name "🟥🟧🟥🇫⁠🇷⁠🇴⁠🇲🟥🟧🇩⁠🇪🇫🇦⁠🇺🇱⁠🇹⁠🟧🟥🟧"
• Create a rule to move any mail sent from the default address into the new folder.
I like the idea but I don't understand how it works. I thought FM rules only applied to incoming mails? Surely this will only catch mails sent from the default id that were also CCed or BCCed to one of one's incoming addresses?
Old 29 May 2021, 05:14 AM   #36
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Well, all I can say is, it works for me.
Have you tried it?
Old 29 May 2021, 07:33 AM   #37
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Well, all I can say is, it works for me.
Have you tried it?
No. How and where did you define the rule?
Old 29 May 2021, 08:29 AM   #38
Grhm
Essential Contributor

> Mail
> Settings
> Filters and Rules
> Create Rule
> Switch to no-preview rules
> From e-mail address > is exactly > [enter your default sending address]
> Continue
> Move to > [select the new colourfully-named folder]

> Save

Last edited by Grhm : 30 May 2021 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Highlighting incorrect info
Old 30 May 2021, 03:54 AM   #39
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
> Mail
> Settings
> Filters and Rules
> Create Rule
> Switch to no-preview rules
> From e-mail address > is exactly > [enter your default sending address]
> Continue
> Move to > [select the new colourfully-named folder]
> Save
So, a normal rule then. But we've always been told that these rules ONLY work on incoming mail. When you tested this presumably your test pretended to send the mail somewhere. Was that to an address at FM? If so, you've intercepted the incoming mail, not prevented the mail from being sent in the first place.

You can check this by looking at the raw message that arrives in your colourful folder - it will contain headers showing it's been sent and received.

And yes, I did try just try it. I sent two test messages from my colourful default id, one to a domain whose mail is handled elsewhere (and it arrived there), and one to FM (the incoming copy went into the colorful folder).

Later...

I did some experimenting. The filter rule need not be present. What matters is that in the definition of the (colourful) default sending id, you need to set "save sent copies in" and choose the colourful folder. My earlier experiments had my tests saved in the standard Sent folder, as done with my other identities. With that change made, and having logged out & back in because without doing that I could not get the "Hide if..." condition to work for the (empty) colourful folder, it does do what you suggested.

But it's of limited use here, as I have a lot of folders. If I compose the mail in one of the first 24 or so, the place where the colourful folder will unhide and suddenly catch my eye is visible. But I have about another 7 screenfuls of folders under those. Then, although if the colourful folder unhides itself, the folder tree slips one place down, that's a lot less likely to be spotted. One only has to glance away from the screen when clicking on Send to miss it.

Last edited by JeremyNicoll : 30 May 2021 at 04:40 AM.
Old 30 May 2021, 07:28 AM   #40
Grhm
Essential Contributor

You seem to be overcomplicating it.
I only did exactly what I said I did, nothing more, and it works fine, whatever address I send the mail to.

If you drag the colourful folder right to the top of your folder tree, above your inbox, as I suggested, surely it will always appear?

Last edited by Grhm : 30 May 2021 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Highlighting incorrect info
Old 30 May 2021, 07:41 AM   #41
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Maybe it is significant that I direct all my sent mail to the inbox, not to the "sent" folder, as was suggested by user 'rusl' in this thread:
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=70625
Old 30 May 2021, 07:44 AM   #42
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
So, a normal rule then. But we've always been told that these rules ONLY work on incoming mail.
That's what I believe also! Only incoming emails go through sieve. An identity's Save setting does allow you to specify a folder to save email sent through that identity.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 10:21 AM   #43
Grhm
Essential Contributor

AAARGH!
I set up this arrangement some time ago, and when I decided to post about it here I misremembered how I'd done it.

There was no rule!

What I actually did was this:
Create a new folder with the name "🟥🟧🟥🇫⁠🇷⁠🇴⁠🇲🟥🟧🇩⁠🇪🇫🇦⁠🇺🇱⁠🇹⁠🟧🟥🟧"
Then,
> Settings
> Sending Identities
> [Select the colourful default sending identity] > Edit
> Show advanced preferences
> Save a copy of messages I send from this identity in > [Select the new colourful folder]
> Save

Apologies for misleading you!
Old 31 May 2021, 02:15 AM   #44
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Apologies for misleading you!
Ah well. If it had worked (ie if the rule had been part of the process) I'd have raised a ticket wth FM asking why ... and you've saved me that hassle.

As for the logic that works, I might leave it in place. For most of the mails I write the immediate visibility of the coloured folder will be of no use because I won't see it until I next scroll back to the top of the folder list ... but it'd still show me, after the event, that I'd sent something with the wrong id.
Old 22 Jun 2021, 08:59 PM   #45
Mugwhamp
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm also late to the party on using *@domain.com to create on-the-fly addressing. I recall years ago being able to create any on-the-fly From address from the web interface but thought it had gone the way of the dodo. What a nice surprise to find this as I was getting caught up on this forum for the first time in a while. I continue to be a very pleased FM customer since 2004!!
Mugwhamp is offline   Reply With Quote