EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 22 Aug 2003, 08:53 AM   #1
mister
Essential Contributor

I'm being impersonated

Today in my Yahoo account I found about a dozen undeliverable mail notices.The problem is I never sent mail to the intended recipients, not only that but the messages may have contained viruses.Plus in the past 8 hours I have received several dozen bulk mails.I have reported this to Yahoo,what else should I do?
mister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Aug 2003, 09:16 AM   #2
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

You might want to email Yahoo support. Spammers often fake the from address, and it being random, your address can be the victim. I have seen similar emails "bounced" emails in my hotmail inbox as well.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2003, 09:20 AM   #3
psalzer

It's the sobig virus. It fakes the e-mail address from the infected computer's addressbook as well as sending out mail to the contacts in the addressbook. It just means that your address was in the contacts of an infected machine. Delete and forget about it.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2003, 09:52 AM   #4
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
My email is being targeted by virus emails too. Obviously the infected user doesn't scan his/her PC. I am bouncing all the emails as well as forwarding a copy to their ISP.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2003, 12:07 PM   #5
CyberSmurf

Hi mister.

Whether it's spammers or a virus spoofing you, my experience is that it's up to you to determine the originating IP address and contact their provider directly.

And at that it is hard to say how reactive they will be. I've only had a few responses following up, saying "yes" we actually have identified & contacted the person.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2003, 12:47 PM   #6
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberSmurf
And at that it is hard to say how reactive they will be. I've only had a few responses following up, saying "yes" we actually have identified & contacted the person.
Sometimes I wonder if they really take any actions. Until the next virus email I will then know the answer.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 02:20 PM   #7
fastashell
Essential Contributor

Aside from the hundreds of infected emails I've received here where I work, (which the anti virus software has caught), I've dozens of delivery failure notices for emails that I've never sent, obviously my address has been spoofed.

I can't understand why people do not protect themselves with the simplest of measures. Anti virus software is easy and cheap to get and keep updated. Personal firewalls can be got for free but no, people just connect themselves up to the net and leave themselves wide open to everything. Amazing!
fastashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2003, 11:46 PM   #8
mister
Essential Contributor

I use a public computer terminal I have no control over AV or firewall.I think this must be a result of a virus though,will Bluebottle be able to effectively filter my account,it doesn't have POP?Also I checked my mail today only 1/2 as much junk as yesterday,still annoying.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 02:27 AM   #9
Spin
The "e" in e-mail

BlueBottle has pop. Its:

mail.bluebottle.com

And it is AWESOME at filtering out spam.

_________
Spin
Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2003, 04:13 AM   #10
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

That happens to me all the time. Maddening.
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2003, 06:29 AM   #11
btn
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Killer
My email is being targeted by virus emails too. Obviously the infected user doesn't scan his/her PC. I am bouncing all the emails as well as forwarding a copy to their ISP.
Please consider that email viruses such as W32/Sobig-F forge senders. Thus, you may be bouncing messages to another innocent victim.

Thanks.

BTW, I'm amazed that so many anti-virus servers naively respond to the sender of an infected message since it can be so easily forged by the virus.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2003, 09:29 AM   #12
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by btn
BTW, I'm amazed that so many anti-virus servers naively respond to the sender of an infected message since it can be so easily forged by the virus.

How do these servers respond to the sender??
Old 23 Aug 2003, 05:27 PM   #13
btn
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Quote:
Originally posted by Killer
How do these servers respond to the sender??
The anti-virus auto-responders are just looking at the From or Reply-to header, and then naively assuming that the infected message must have come from one of those email addresses. This is not very smart since both of those headers are forged with a random email address found on an infected computer. Thus, there are a lot of people out there that are receiving automated warnings that their systems are infected when they're not (by the virus that did the forgery) since the infected messages did not originate from them.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2003, 09:21 PM   #14
mister
Essential Contributor

Crisis seems over

My inbox was clean today,thanks for the help.I deleted all the messages so none were bounced.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 06:48 AM   #15
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Re: Crisis seems over

It's not for me. Just now I've had three virus messages. At least I think they are - they all have attachments with names like "your details" or "application" from email addresses I do not recognise.
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote