EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Aug 2016, 10:24 AM   #1
rusl

Forwarding rules and spam filter

I have a forwarding rule set up so that a copy of every inbound email is also sent to another email address (so I have a non-Fastmail copy of all email as a backup). But Fastmail now requires me to enable spam filtering. I recieve less than one actual spam message per month, but I have false positives go to my spam folder at a rate of one or two per month. I don't want spam filtering and I find it annoying having to remember to check "two inboxes" from time to time to make sure I don't miss my important bills!

Yes I know I can teach the spam learning robot / manually whitelist stuff / etcetera, but this is a mental overhead I don't want and I'll probably still have things go to spam from time to time so it doesn't fix the problem.

Is there any way for me to have a forwarding rule set up, and also have essentially no spam filtering (the basic xbl filtering is fine). Or can I set up a rule so that everything it thinks is spam get forwarded to regular inbox?

Thankfully Fastmail still forwards the suspected spam to my backup account
rusl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Aug 2016, 08:11 AM   #2
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusl View Post
... Or can I set up a rule so that everything it thinks is spam get forwarded to regular inbox?
Have you tried adjusting the protection level settings under:
Settings -> Spam protection -> Protection Level: 'custom'?

You can adjust the spam score on which the email is moved and the folder into which it is moved.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Just to endorse what gardenweed said.
Like rusl, I don't suffer from spam, but I have suffered from unruly spam filters.
I came to this forum with a very similar question a while back and was advised that if I activated the custom spam filter and set its 'filing threshold' to 50.0 or higher, then no mail would ever be caught by it.
I was initially sceptical, but that solution has proved to be entirely satisfactory.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2016, 08:28 AM   #4
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Bill's detailed instructions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
You can set the spam filter to a high threshold (such as 50.0) and it will not have any actual effect on your messages. To do this, follow these instructions:
  • Go to Settings>Spam Protection
  • Change the Protection level to Custom
  • Check Move and enter a score of 50.0
  • Uncheck Discard
  • Uncheck Add score
Bill
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2016, 10:16 PM   #5
rusl

Great, thanks Grhm and gardenweed.

[edit] I configured a Custom spam configuration as below and my forwarding rules all still work. Thanks again.

(check) Always block messages from known insecure email hosts/relays
(uncheck) Move message to [folder] when...
(uncheck) Discard message when...
(check) Add score to subject when spam score > 5.0
(uncheck) Mark as read

Last edited by rusl : 31 Aug 2016 at 09:31 AM.
rusl is offline   Reply With Quote