EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 10 Jan 2007, 08:07 AM   #1
digp
Master of the @

iphone

new blackberry killer?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/internet/
digp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:53 AM   #2
dragon1
Cornerstone of the Community

Either my DSL service is really slow tonight or there's a ton of traffic to that page.

I saw it on a noon news program after the Jobs unveiling. Looks pretty cool with the buttonless navigation. What it does is pretty cool, too -- three devices in one.

(Took a few seconds for the page to load, because I'm lacking something in Quicktime that's not available right now.)

I see, though, that the FCC hasn't approved its sale or lease yet. At the bottom of the page:

Quote:
This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.
If I remember correctly, they're looking at offering it for sale this summer?

To answer my own question, an article from CNN Money.

Last edited by dragon1 : 10 Jan 2007 at 10:04 AM.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2007, 10:56 AM   #3
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
OT: iPhone

You know, I didn't exactly believe it. So many rumours, so much hype, it couldn't be real could it?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

I must say, the interface looks pretty impressive from the demos on the official site. The only issue is that everything I've ever heard about trying to type on a flat touch screen sucks, I wonder if this will be better. Nice to see full IMAP support and amazing it seems to run a version (obviously slimmed in some way) of OS X, not some custom OS.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2007, 01:21 PM   #4
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I just watched the whole presentation. Really impressive. "True push" IMAP e-mail services by Yahoo! are free for this phone.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2007, 03:18 PM   #5
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by beq
Similar thread
Yes, except that thread should be limited to the email aspects of iPhone, whereas here we can talk about the other features.

I have to admit I am incredibly attracted to this product, and I almost convinced myself to get one as soon as it comes out until I reminded myself of a few things:
  • It's the iPod function i really really want on this one, but I already have an iPod
  • I don't tend to use my mobile phone for checking email or even texting that much.
  • It will inevitably get a lot better and a little cheaper next year. If I can wait a year, I can save some green.
  • If this is running OS X, I want to know if I can install software on it just like on any other OS X based machine. I want to install Firefox if I am going to use a mobile phone to browse the Net!
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2007, 03:52 PM   #6
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by FMRocks
.......[*]If this is running OS X, I want to know if I can install software on it just like on any other OS X based machine. I want to install Firefox if I am going to use a mobile phone to browse the Net![/list]
It would need a ton of memory inbuilt or via memory card to install applications wouldn't it?
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2007, 04:42 AM   #7
injinuity

The phone will be only as good as the third party applications available...

this phone is just for pretty boys, with Pocket P.C 6.0 around the corner, the iphone still has a very very long way to go... I think i will give this a pass

J.J
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2007, 03:35 PM   #8
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by The Storm
It would need a ton of memory inbuilt or via memory card to install applications wouldn't it?
Not really. There are fully feature mobile browsers that work just as well or better than the safari it comes installed with. Opera has been a real leader in this field, and Mozilla's Minomo is gaining steam.

What I don't like is that Apple, one of my favorite companies, is following a closed model on a consumer device. It is also ironic, since opening it up to third party applications will can do nothing but help the appeal of iPhone.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2007, 11:30 PM   #9
placebo

Re: OT: iPhone

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
I must say, the interface looks pretty impressive from the demos on the official site. The only issue is that everything I've ever heard about trying to type on a flat touch screen sucks, I wonder if this will be better.
Some guy from PC Magazine got to play with one for ten minutes, and he wrote about it here. He did note he had problems trying to type. The iPhone's software supposedly corrects some mistakes automatically, so you don't have to be able to type perfectly.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2007, 01:47 PM   #10
Camille

The iPhone really is impressive from what I've watched online. But as an iPod feature, the 8gb is too small. They should expand it especially if these phones can play videos and music.

I have my iPod as well plus my trusty Samsung triband phone which is good enough for me now. The iPhone is too much of a luxury for me.
Camille is offline   Reply With Quote