EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 4 Aug 2018, 07:41 PM   #1
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Would using Runbox as a backup MX server violate its TOS?

Good day!

Fasmail's experienced serious recent troubles and, apparently, no longer has geographically separately hosted back-up MX servers, as discussed here: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=73859

As a result, I'm pondering publishing Runbox MX RR for back-up purposes, in case Fastmail falls on its face again.

From past experience, if you don't publish FM's MX RR with 10 and 20 priorities, Fastmail will hound you with warnings about it until you do so.

Two questions for the Runbox Team:

Would using Runbox as a backup MX server violate its TOS?

If not, would setting RB's MX RR at a higher number (lower priority) result in endless warning messages à la Fastmail?

After reading the following RB web page, I don't believe that would be the case -- but would like to make sure. https://help.runbox.com/email-hostin...rmation_on_DNS

Thank you.

--
Jacinto

Last edited by Jacinto : 5 Aug 2018 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Fixed URL.
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Aug 2018, 07:53 AM   #2
dbowdley
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi Jacinto,

We would have no problem with this in regards to the ToS. As long as mx.runbox.com appears as one of your MX records then our system will accept that it is one of the mail services for your domain without any ongoing warnings.

Let us know if you need any further information.

Last edited by dbowdley : 5 Aug 2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Clarity
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2018, 09:45 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

There are several ways of providing crude but effective automatic redundancy for your email. I know many are not fans of Gmail, but they are super reliable and have the best spam filtering. Outlook.com is quite good too. You could route all your email through Gmail or G Suite and have it forwarded on to FM, Runbox, or wherever. Gmail no longer scans your email for advertising purposes. I have done this for years with great success: forward email from domain registrar to Gmail, which then forwards on to your other provider. Some claim email forwarding is broken, but not in my experience using Gmail and Outlook.com. A better practice, according to many, is to then simply POP or IMAP your email from Gmail/Outlook.com to your favorite other provider, like FM or Runbox. This reduces the spam and phishing load you get at the end mailbox.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2018, 10:53 PM   #4
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowdley View Post
Hi Jacinto,

We would have no problem with this in regards to the ToS. As long as mx.runbox.com appears as one of your MX records then our system will accept that it is one of the mail services for your domain without any ongoing warnings.

Let us know if you need any further information.
Good day and thank you, dbowdley!

It's refreshing to know that Runbox is not fixated on MX RR priorities.

I added Runbox MX RR, as secondary, to two domains with priorities of 30. I also added Runbox MX RR, as primary, to a new domain with a priority of 5 (and Fastmail's, as secondary, with priorities of 10 and 20).

Almost ticked the "Catch-all" box for the first two domains, but thought best of it and mirrored FM's aliases to RB instead.

Thank you, again.

--
Jacinto
Old 5 Aug 2018, 11:24 PM   #5
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Good day and thank you, TenFour!

Another excellent suggestion, but not for me.

In 2007, I subscribed to a paid Google Apps account which is now "grandfathered" to a point.

Although it worked as advertised, I moved to Fastmail because of privacy concerns and haven't regretted it until the last couple of years.

I do send mail from it occasionally (when all the recipients have GMail E-Mail addresses and I want to make sure there are no delivery hiccups).

I also publish GMail MX RR for a "throwaway" domain.

Having said all of that, I would not be willing to use GMail in the manner you suggest. I want to go forward, not backward. Although I'm seriously considering not renewing my Fastmail subscription when it expires next year, I would not go back to GMail as my primary E-Mail provider (even though my GApps account is free).

Runbox is looking better and better. However, there is one fact that holds me back, no US mail servers. I understand that most people are delighted that there are none and other people probably intentionally choose RB because of it.

Personally, although I have nothing to hide, I woudn't cherish the idea that my messages need to traverse the Atlantic Ocean twice before they reach their recipients or me, thusly being more or less in the open for any entity that wants to intercept them. From what I understand, only amateurs can't decrypt TLS.

We'll see whether or not I have a different perspective next June.

--
Jacinto
Old 5 Aug 2018, 11:42 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Although it worked as advertised, I moved to Fastmail because of privacy concerns and haven't regretted it until the last couple of years.
I understand, but I do wonder why it is that many of us trust our email to small providers that claim they do not read or scan our emails vs. very large providers that claim the same things. How to know who is really telling the truth? And, even if your email provider claims privacy you may use an email app on your phone that gives the app folks complete access to your email.

Essentially, privacy is pretty much dead in the Internet age. Even if your email remains private you will be tracked every time you use a credit card, shop in a store or online, visit websites, use a smartphone, use a bank, etc. Impossible to prevent. Instead, I would argue that security is really what is important.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote