EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Mar 2004, 03:27 PM   #1
rakhesh
Cornerstone of the Community

Deleting just the attachments

Hi!

I'm facing this problem which I am sure a lot of others must be having. I have this folder full of my job applications and stuff, and the problem is that this folder is HUGE coz each mail in it has a copy of my resume ... meaning, some 400-500 mails containing just my resumes! That is obviously a wastage of space, and I was wondering if there was any way I can delete only these attachments (without deleting the mails themselves, coz I'd like them for future reference) ... any suggestions/ ideas?

Thanks!
Rakhesh
rakhesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Mar 2004, 03:31 PM   #2
audelair
Essential Contributor

i would LOVE to have this feature implemented. i have the same exact problem.

i don't think there are any email services out there that provide this feature, is there?
audelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2004, 04:45 PM   #3
Sherry

I think I remember reading that Outlook can remove the attachments. I think some other clients might also but I don't know which ones. Someone who knows will probably post soon.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2004, 04:51 PM   #4
rakhesh

That sounds like promising news! Is it Outlook you were referring to, or Outlook Express?

Rakhesh
Old 22 Mar 2004, 04:52 PM   #5
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by rakhesh
That sounds like promising news! Is it Outlook you were referring to, or Outlook Express?
Outlook. OE can't do it.

Sherry
Old 22 Mar 2004, 04:54 PM   #6
rakhesh

I am unable to test it out from work now, but what you are saying is that I can open each message in Outlook, click on the attachment, and then just delete. That should do it eh! Cool!

Rakhesh
Old 22 Mar 2004, 05:18 PM   #7
Sherry

Quote:
I am unable to test it out from work now, but what you are saying is that I can open each message in Outlook, click on the attachment, and then just delete. That should do it eh! Cool!
I just went into Outlook to check it out. Couldn't find anything in the Help for removing attachments. I did figure it out though. I opened the message, then right clicked on the attachment then clicked "Remove". What it did was delete the original and put the message back without the attachment. It did keep the original date and the message went from 36 to 6k.

Sherry
Old 22 Mar 2004, 05:18 PM   #8
kander
The "e" in e-mail

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...imapsize+strip - This should help a bit.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2004, 05:37 PM   #9
kander
The "e" in e-mail

I just added this question to the Wiki FAQ, you may want to link there next time this question comes up.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2004, 06:14 PM   #10
rakhesh

oh sweet! thanks a ton both of you!

Rakhesh
Old 23 Mar 2004, 02:39 AM   #11
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
I just added this question to the Wiki FAQ, you may want to link there next time this question comes up.
Do you know if MAPSize is out of Alpha yet. I really don't like suggesting the use of something still in Alpha. Most forum members are pretty knowledgeable about that type of thing but not all. Wouldn't be so bad if it was at least in Beta at this point.

Sherry
Old 23 Mar 2004, 02:44 AM   #12
Daniel S

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
Do you know if MAPSize is out of Alpha yet. I really don't like suggesting the use of something still in Alpha. Most forum members are pretty knowledgeable about that type of thing but not all. Wouldn't be so bad if it was at least in Beta at this point.

Sherry
It isn't (link).
Latest version is 0.0.4 alpha.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 02:55 AM   #13
rakhesh

I was a bit apprehensive about using it first ... being alpha and all that ... but I'm happy to report that it works fine, and now my folder is a lot lot slimmer!

The delete attachments option was a bit hard to find though ... never thought that I'd have to peek into each message, and then remove the attachment. I was thinking it would be more along the lines of simply choosing a folder and saying "delete all attachments" (kind of like "delete all mails"). But well, it does its job, and all's swell!
Old 23 Mar 2004, 04:23 AM   #14
janniklindquist
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I was a bit apprehensive about using it first ... being alpha and all that ... but I'm happy to report that it works fine, and now my folder is a lot lot slimmer!

The delete attachments option was a bit hard to find though ... never thought that I'd have to peek into each message, and then remove the attachment. I was thinking it would be more along the lines of simply choosing a folder and saying "delete all attachments" (kind of like "delete all mails"). But well, it does its job, and all's swell!
Another alternative is to set up an account in Becky!, drag the messages to a local folder, then use the outstanding attachment-plugin to delete all the attachments in one go and, finally, drag the messages back to the IMAP-folder.
janniklindquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2004, 04:28 AM   #15
janniklindquist
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by janniklindquist
...the outstanding attachment-plugin
Actually, it's called "Attachment File Manager". It is available here
janniklindquist is offline   Reply With Quote